Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Wiring Up KC Daylighters on '03 Wrangler. Help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/wiring-up-kc-daylighters-on-03-wrangler-help-611938.html)

SilverAuto 03-26-2014 09:37 PM

Wiring Up KC Daylighters on '03 Wrangler. Help!

So I've mounted my KC Daylighters on the front bumper of my '03, but am now realizing that it's not too simple of a task to wire these things up. I want it to look decently clean without wires running all over the place and I have a nice KC HiLites rocker switch to turn them on or off. I don't want them to automatically go on, but to simply be switched on or off when I say so. I'm guessing this is when you just wire up to the battery and not the lo or hi beams? Any tips or "To dos"? I could use the help. Thanks.

Majnoon 03-26-2014 09:46 PM

You wire the relay to the battery. The lights to the relay and the switch to the relay. Kc's should come with all that. At least the off road use only day lighters. Some nice black split loom will make the wiring you do look factory. Think mine came with some. Was 14 years ago though.

Jerry Bransford 03-26-2014 09:49 PM

I dunno if you also bought the prewired wiring harness that includes the required relay but if you did not, buy one. Any of them made for KC, PIAA, etc. will work to make the installation very simple and work properly afterward. Do not just wire the lights to the battery with a switch, you'll soon have problems if you wire them that way.

SilverAuto 03-26-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majnoon (Post 9377202)
You wire the relay to the battery. The lights to the relay and the switch to the relay. Kc's should come with all that. At least the off road use only day lighters. Some nice black split loom will make the wiring you do look factory. Think mine came with some. Was 14 years ago though.

Thanks for that info. I do have the entire kit with relay, wiring harness, etc. Once I delve more into the wiring, I'm sure I'll have more questions. What's the best way to wire to the battery? For instance, what kind of attachment, and positive, negative, or both? Stupid question I'm sure, but I don't want to short anything out. My instrument lights already have never worked since I bought this Jeep.

Majnoon 03-26-2014 10:11 PM

Wire the positive to the battery and the ground to any good ground. I attached my relay to the left bolt of the CPU as your looking at it.

Edit here is mine. It's mounted here and grounded to the CPU bolt directly below it. The ground bolt I used is very close it's an inch under it. It's covered in photo by relay and wires. It's not the far down running wire. That might be the lights though. 14 years is a long time lol.

Edited CPU not ECM. It's late. :)

Majnoon 03-26-2014 10:21 PM

Here is where I put my switch. Bad choice. No probs now but when I first did it my knee would turn lights on exiting. Burned up some light covers. I'm used to it now but I wouldn't pick this spot again.

SilverAuto 03-26-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majnoon (Post 9377962)
Wire the positive to the battery and the ground to any good ground. I attached my relay to the left bolt of the ECM as your looking at it.

Edit here is mine. It's mounted here and grounded to the ECM bolt directly below it. The ground bolt I used is very close it's an inch under it. It's covered in photo by relay and wires. It's not the far down running wire. That might be the lights though. 14 years is a long time lol.

This is some great info. Thanks. Yeah, that's right where I was planning on putting my relay. Next question: Where's the best and cleanest place to enter the cab with the wires for the rocker switch? I've heard somewhere around the steering column?

Majnoon 03-26-2014 10:31 PM

See if I can post a pic. I make new holes in this grommet or squeeze in the lower one. Both are to the left if the clutch pedal. Can't see it with out going down there. Guess I got a lot of extra wires lol.

The big red ones are amp wires. The little one is the kc's and something else. The switch is also wired inside cab to the 12 volt constant behind the glove box I think. If instructions say something like that. It has been a loooong time. And I think I grounded the switch to bottom if my steering column to a little bolt but it's covered with an amp now so can't take a pic.

SilverAuto 03-27-2014 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Majnoon (Post 9378618)
See if I can post a pic. I make new holes in this grommet or squeeze in the lower one. Both are to the left if the clutch pedal. Can't see it with out going down there. Guess I got a lot of extra wires lol.

The big red ones are amp wires. The little one is the kc's and something else. The switch is also wired inside cab to the 12 volt constant behind the glove box I think. If instructions say something like that. It has been a loooong time. And I think I grounded the switch to bottom if my steering column to a little bolt but it's covered with an amp now so can't take a pic.

Thanks so much. With your help, I feel like I can conquer this by myself without having to have somebody do it.

Here's another question pertaining to the wires that go to the battery. According to the attached wiring diagram, which is what came with my lights; the Yellow wire from the relay goes to +12 VDC Battery, and the White wire from my switch goes to "Hi Beam, Lo Beam, or Battery". Does this mean I'll be attaching both the Yellow and White wires to the positive post of my battery?

Water Dog 03-27-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverAuto (Post 9382594)
Thanks so much. With your help, I feel like I can conquer this by myself without having to have somebody do it.

Here's another question pertaining to the wires that go to the battery. According to the attached wiring diagram, which is what came with my lights; the Yellow wire from the relay goes to +12 VDC Battery, and the White wire from my switch goes to "Hi Beam, Lo Beam, or Battery". Does this mean I'll be attaching both the Yellow and White wires to the positive post of my battery?

The white wire needs to go to a positive source (not necessarily the battery). It would be better from an ignition source so that if you accidentally leave the light switch on, the lights would go out when you turned off the ignition. If you pull your glove box out, there should be two wire pig tails to the right of your fuse box with tags on them. One says (something like hot, and the other ignition). These are to fuse things you add. Pick the one that says something about ignition and slice the white wire to it, then put a 3 amp fuse in the fuse block that the wire goes to.

Majnoon 03-27-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 9385522)
The white wire needs to go to a positive source (not necessarily the battery). It would be better from an ignition source so that if you accidentally leave the light switch on, the lights would go out when you turned off the ignition. If you pull your glove box out, there should be two wire pig tails to the right of your fuse box with tags on them. One says (something like hot, and the other ignition). These are to fuse things you add. Pick the one that says something about ignition and slice the white wire to it, then put a 3 amp fuse in the fuse block that the wire goes to.

X 2 there are 2 blank wires behind the glove box. Think one is red and labeled always on and one yellow labeled switched. I used the red one and can turn mine on without my key. Just like the head lights. If I wired to the yellow one that thing I mentioned earlier about melting my covers when my knee hit the switch getting out wouldn't have happened. If I noticed the switch light up when I started it. Have fun. :)

And the other one from the relay hook straight to battery like you said.