Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   General Jeep Discussion (
-   -   Winch at the Beach (

Kennef06 09-15-2010 12:28 PM

Winch at the Beach
I am planning a vacation on North Carolina's outerbanks in two weeks. I have gone and driven the beach many times. This will be the first time I have gone after installing my Superwinch EPi 9.0 winch. Is there any special concerns I should take with the winch? My concern is both sand and saltwater. Do I need to worry about protecting moving parts from sand and will the salt water pose any kind of corrosion issues? Of course, I will rinse it with fresh water every day once I'm off the beach.

ParaCAD 09-15-2010 12:42 PM

Not sure how the beaches are there..but you might want to be ready to pull a lowrider that thinks it can cruise the sandy beachs and not get'll definitely get some light duty test pulls that way :D

I'm just speaking from what i see happen on florida's beaches :)

Dr. Venture 09-15-2010 01:27 PM

If you get sand and or salt water on it. It is a SEALED unit, which means that it can be SUBMERGED in water regardless. I would just unwind it and WASH it up with fresh water.
Here is mine.

Bobthegod 09-15-2010 08:43 PM

I think you should keep the term "CHADWICK" in mind. You can do a seach and see what a CHADWICK is. As for the your winch, true it's sealed, and yeah you wanna hose it off and re-spool the cable/rope. Your not gonna drive it along the surf line I hope?

Dr. Venture 09-15-2010 08:59 PM

If he drove it along the surf line the winch would be the least of his worries after that.

EdJonesJeeper 09-15-2010 09:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 25292

Have you thought about a pull pal? On the sand I would think this is a necessity. But don't know anyone that has one or used one.

BTW im on the otherside of NC but come down to wilmington once a year.
Hwy 12 is a long shot out of my way do you know of any other sands spots?

Dr. Venture 09-15-2010 09:14 PM

^hmmm......thats like an old school Farmer's "hoe"???? I would think that you would have to heavily dig it into the sand in order to achieve grip.

EdJonesJeeper 09-15-2010 09:16 PM

the pull of the winch digs the pal further into the sand. It does all the work just let the physics take over.

Dr. Venture 09-15-2010 09:23 PM

Oh yeah i see what you mean now. I had to blow up the pic.

EdJonesJeeper 09-15-2010 09:28 PM

wow there way more expensive than i thought $300?
Pull-Pal winch anchoring device for 4x4s, Jeeps, SUV, ATV, off-road, military use

Dr. Venture 09-15-2010 09:41 PM

damn close to 6 beans. I think this tool is for an extremest though. I highly doubt this guy will get stuck in the sand. And if he does, he has his family to push. lol

Kennef06 09-15-2010 09:58 PM

No... I'm not planning on driving in the surf. I was thinking more of the salt spray. If it's windy it leaves a thin salty layer over everything. I was just checking if there was anything else I should consider and I will follow the advice of unspooling and rinsing once I get home. Thanks.

Yes, I read Chadwick and it was very entertaining! I won't be trying anything so... crazy.

Ed... I have heard there are beaches south of OBX that allow beach driving but have never been. I have driven the Maryland/Virginia beachs.

Not spending $300 on a pull-pal. There are other vehicles in the group if I need to hook up or get a pull. Have never had to yet, knock on wood.

Thanks all.

EdJonesJeeper 09-15-2010 10:06 PM

Just grab a HWY 12 sticker to slap on the heep! I've only had my old zj on 31's out there.

31 mudders didn't to to well. I learned quickly to shut off and deflate when the temp hit 220

Dr. Venture 09-15-2010 11:24 PM

If you do not know already. Let some air out of yoru tires. helps gettign through the sand easy. I do it all the time when i go fishing on the surf. As long as you have an inflator your golden.

aelwero 09-16-2010 11:53 AM

lol @ pull pal.

A small danforth anchor should do fine on a beach. It works on the same physics to dig in, and with the exceptionally low setting angle you'd get from a jeep bumper it ought to dig enough.

It would be smaller to store, wouldn't require any assembly, and weigh a lot less. And, being on the coast, they should also be pretty easy to find (probably got em at wally world in NC...) and a whole lot less expensive.

Having said all that, nothing beats a "buddy vehicle" (not even a winch IMHO).

mrcarcrazy 09-16-2010 12:17 PM

90 Attachment(s)
remember to air down, and have a way to air back up!!!

Dr. Venture 09-16-2010 02:04 PM

Or you can just get an extension with a longer rope.