Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

noise in all gears

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron Baby 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm Ron--new to jeeps and the one I just bought is a 95 Wrangler Rio grande. Don't know too much about them. Mine makes a noise in all gears but the noise decreases significantly when the clutch is depressed. This is a five speed.
I am not unfamiliar with the mechanics of an automobile but since I never even rode in a jeep except in the military in 1954 I know very little about them.

I do not believe the noise is the throwout bearing and the clutch seems to be working fine without any noise. This noise sounds like the cluster gear or perhaps the pilot bearing. Since I know nothing about transfer cases - I am a complete idiot when it comes to this noise. All the grease levels are within specs.

I have another question....My transfer case shifter has a H2 & L2 in the forward position and a H4 & L4 in the rearward position. I'm afraid I need an explanation as to what those mean...see, I am really an idiot when it comes to four wheel drive vehicles.

Anyone have suggestions-- I am open to anything that sounds good.

Ron

#2 ·
Hi Ron,
And welcome. As a suggestion, it would help with a pic and some details of your jeep so we can see what you are working with. If you have a lifted jeep, then the sound maybe that the angle of your axles to your transfer case is not at a good angle. This might mean that you need to drop your transfer casing so that your gears are in more direct in line of each other. This has been known to reduce the noise and prevent gear damage. Also if you have bought this jeep recently from someone, the proper mainenance of changing the oil in your pumpkins would be beneficial. As a second note, your oil in there may be stuck and not providing the proper protection. Thus it is also a good idea to run the 4wd once a week to keep it lubricated. This is all according to what you mentioned. As for the hi and lo, the 2wd hi is what you drive in normally on paved clear roads. The 2wd lo is what you want when you are towing at low speed (I could be wrong). The 4wd hi is what you use when you are driving in snow or hilly areas over 25 mph. If going slower, you'd want to drop down to the 4wd lo, suggested for trails and not breaking axels! Good luck. Please correct me if i'm wrong anyone. Happy Jeepin'!

#4 ·
Noise in all gears

Thanks for your input. I never thought about the height of the vehicle. The previous owner put taller wheels on but no lift kit. I have checked all the fluids and as an old mechanic I feel okay about them, but I am wondering about the transfer case. I will put the thing up on blocks and listen to it that way. Maybe I can figure out the problem...again--thanks for the input.

I bought the jeep about a week and a half ago, and Like I said, I know nothing

thanks,

Ron

#5 ·
PaulyDfrom Jersey---Ron baby again,

Since you're the first to reply to my query about the noise in all gears and you answered my question about the hi lo thing, I have a follow question.
After reading just about everything I could find on the transfer case shift lever--I never found any info on the h2 - h4 position. Are these positions on the gear shift that I can personally select or are they selected automatically? I can shift the lever from one position to neutral and to the low position but the indicator says there are four different selections I can make -- yet I can only find two gear positions and the neutral.

As for the transfer case--I took the old fluid out and replaced it with new but have not yet driven anywhere. Somehow I have serious doubts about changing the fluid and accomplishing anything. the old fluid looked new, bright red and clean.
I still think I have heard this noise before in a vehicle when I was a mechanic and I believe it turned out to be in the transmission. I also think it could be a Wheel bearing but haven't had time to check that yet.

You'll have to forgive me---I'm beginning to feel my 74 years. I found crawling around on the ground quite difficult the other day and yesterday, but I goterdone...

Ron

#7 ·
When you depress the clutch pedal, it forces fluid (allegedly--I'll explain) down from the clutch fluid reservoir to thru slave to clutch.

Remember you own a Chrysler so expect failure.

I get chatter in every gear and have re-bled system 3 times since ownership.
The reservoir empties, the fluid disappears.
WTF?
But re-bleeding works.
The prob is I can't locate the air-lock and none of my mechanics can either.
Long story short you have exactly what you think you have---lubrication problem when you hear that kind of noise.

(I have a real AMC jeep too, so my bad-mouthing of chrysler comes from comparison...)

#8 ·
Get it up on (4) jack stands (or a lift, if you have access to one), start the engine, put it in gear and let out the clutch. Crawl around underneath and try to find the source of noise. If the trans howls in every gear, I'd guess either the input or output shaft bearing.

As for the shift pattern......it's common with Jeeps (especially older ones) to have different parts swapped in......could it just be the wrong knob is on there? Someone could even have swapped in a different transfer case. While you're crawling underneath, look for the model number on the t-case.

#9 ·
Thanks, mrclean and thanks brent in AZ I will try the jack stands and that willprobably isolte the source. Once I isolate the source I believe I'll discover it's from the tranny. I remember this noise from years ago when I worked on transmissions. I believe it's either the bearings or the cluster.
Thanks, guys...
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.