Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Don't Look Down (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/dont-look-down-61947.html)

Geoff@Bestop 09-16-2010 02:48 PM

Don't Look Down

Youtube video on guys climbing a transmission tower. Astonishing.

If you don't watch the whole thing, at least skip to the end when he gets to the very top.

I like my job even more now.

NOTE: Video is perfectly safe for family and work - some of the stupid youtuber comments are not.

YouTube - World's Scariest Job

Ibuildembig 09-16-2010 02:59 PM

That's exactly why I am the ground crew foreman when we build towers like that lol

GREEN-MACHINE 09-16-2010 03:20 PM

WTF i got so dizzy i fell out of my chair.... holy crap.

phantomofrussia 09-16-2010 03:50 PM

I would not mind the climb up to there, but I would really, really hate having to climb down that....

I wonder what kind of job title do you get for that kind of job? and hey i bet you stay in shape having to climb those kind of towers...

firehawk_1989 09-16-2010 03:56 PM

looks like fun! can't imagine how great it would feel to stand on the ground after coming down from that.

RatherBNarizona 09-16-2010 04:00 PM

I'm shaking just watching the video
I would have to go up with a parachute, skydive the way down!

Urokira 09-16-2010 04:05 PM

Green machine, I know what you are talking about... I must say that for a moment I got a bit lightheaded in a way. did not fall off my chair, but if i had to get up for something real quick, I would have fallen over. hahahahaah

that is just crazy.... especially when he unhooked himself to go further up! daaayyammmnnn!

BladeMechanical 09-16-2010 04:06 PM

I will remain seated in my chair, with my AC on and my PC for the rest of my career. Good video. Laters,

phantomofrussia 09-16-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNmexico (Post 775114)
I'm shaking just watching the video
I would have to go up with a parachute, skydive the way down!

haha, I was just thinking that. Just skydive back down, would make the trip down so much faster and much more pleasant. :punk:

biffman 09-16-2010 04:14 PM

I can't even go to the top rung of my step ladder without breaking out in a cold sweat and hanging on for dear life. That job would be my personal definition of hell.

phantomofrussia 09-16-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffman (Post 775136)
I can't even go to the top rung of my step ladder without breaking out in a cold sweat and hanging on for dear life. That job would be my personal definition of hell.

But think of it this way. You climb up that tower and then when you have to climb your step ladder you would not even be scared...:zap:

Geoff@Bestop 09-16-2010 05:48 PM

I read a story about the guy who operated the crane at the top of the worlds tallest building; they finished it last year in Dubai.

He way saying how it took so long to get up to his crane that sometimes he just slept in it. Avoided going all the way down, and all the way back the next day.

And most of that trip was with elevators.

How long would it take to climb 1,500 feet?

G54 09-16-2010 09:10 PM

I'm nauseous.

VVCG33 09-16-2010 09:14 PM

Our engineer at the radio station still climbs up our tower and he is mid 60s....Hasn't missed a single day of work in 41 years though!

TR3YNGLER 09-16-2010 09:20 PM

I hate heights! (unless I'm flying a plane).

yjkid95 09-16-2010 09:31 PM

I'd give it a try don't know how far id get but still would try.

Ageless Stranger 09-16-2010 09:47 PM

Wow. That scared the crap out of me just watching it. :eek:

weirdodaddy 09-19-2010 12:48 AM

I have worked in radio for more than 22 years. This video isn't really that big of a deal. There are guys who do this every day. I did it for several years. It's just funny to me that it's burning up the internet right now. Anything above about 20 feet will kill you when you hit the ground.

The view is amazing up that high. The noises from the ground go away. All you can hear is usually your breathing and the wind. I have been up on towers and looked down on planes flying by. They also sway quite a bit at the top. Climbing down is much easier and faster than climbing up. I would have to stop every 50 feet or so and rest for a few minutes.

I know it looks amazing... and it is. But to some guys, it's just a job and they do it every day.

Doug

Ageless Stranger 09-19-2010 12:51 AM

Good first post WD. Welcome to WF. :wavey:

weirdodaddy 09-19-2010 01:09 AM

Wow. Didn't realize that was my first post. I'm generally a lurker. I use the search function and tend to find my issues resolved in someone elses posts before I ask any questions.

This is a great video. It depicts the job just as it is. I don't climb much any more. It was fun when I did it. You just have to put safety first. And take your time. Each move is calculated. If you drop something, like a tool you will need, it's a long way down to go get it. I know to most folks it's just amazing that anyone does this. To the guys that do it, just another day at the office.

Doug

yotefever 09-19-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdodaddy (Post 778337)
Wow. Didn't realize that was my first post. I'm generally a lurker. I use the search function and tend to find my issues resolved in someone elses posts before I ask any questions.

This is a great video. It depicts the job just as it is. I don't climb much any more. It was fun when I did it. You just have to put safety first. And take your time. Each move is calculated. If you drop something, like a tool you will need, it's a long way down to go get it. I know to most folks it's just amazing that anyone does this. To the guys that do it, just another day at the office.

Doug

I was working at out power plant a couple of years ago and when working up high we had lanyards tied to our tools so we didn't give them away to people on the ground :D

Jerrodma 09-19-2010 12:35 PM

I would be crying and peeing my pants! They need parachutes!

Jerry Bransford 09-19-2010 04:11 PM

OMG OMG OMG, heights just scare the hell out of me. I climbed a few short antenna towers and poles in the AF but they were only 35-50' and that was bad enough.

I just don't see how they get used to doing heights like that, I would freeze up and they'd have to frigging rescue me.

That guy on World's Toughest Fixes did a climb like that once to replace a TV transmitter antenna and it was about that height. He didn't seemed fazed at all about it.

Wow, just wow... my toes were curling and went cold watching that video! :eek:

Walkingstick 09-19-2010 04:35 PM

Looks fun

Ibuildembig 09-19-2010 04:50 PM

Its great money though....I pay our guy a dollar per foot and 30.00 per hour when hes at the top working.

mrcarcrazy 09-19-2010 07:03 PM

you couldn't pay me enough money to do that.

WellsR 09-19-2010 10:14 PM

That is amazing. I would love to have that job

Ibuildembig 09-20-2010 10:54 AM

Just get your climbers license :)...there's always a need for one

jcf 09-20-2010 12:56 PM

Oh no, I would not be able to do that, very scary

bobjenkins 09-20-2010 01:16 PM

Once you get so high its not bad (not that I could do it LOL, still made me dizzy watching it)

This is amazing too this dude jumped from 31km 10X,000 feet, just stunning he could see the entire planet from there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRG7LzKcDA]

BTW ARE YOU CRAZY!?!?!
http://awesomeland.com/wp-content/pl...cliff-tent.jpg