Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2 questions... taking off dash and fixing automatic trans lights? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2-questions-taking-off-dash-and-fixing-automatic-trans-lights-62024.html)

i mad pierot 09-16-2010 11:46 PM

2 questions... taking off dash and fixing automatic trans lights?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Wrangler Forum and I'm new to Jeeps. So please bear with me for a few sentences. I just bought my Jeep Wrangler 2001 TJ and it needs some small fixes here and there. What I want to do is take off the entire dash console and paint it because it has been exposed to a lot of weathering. Does anyone know how I can go about taking it off? Secondly, when I bought the Jeep my automatic transmission lights came on when I turned on the dash board lights. However after a few uses, they didn't come on again. The lights I'm talking about are the ones that light up the P, R, N, D, 2, and 1. Thanks for reading this post. Peace

essie92 09-16-2010 11:56 PM

The only problem your going to really run into is the passenger airbag cover is riveted on to the metal panel behind the dash. I am in the middle of painting my tan interior black and I found that it is easier to just mask off the inside and paint it there in the cab.

vekrause 09-17-2010 05:15 AM

See if this link helps

Jeep A/C Installation Instructions

Just pick you model and it downloads/opens as a Word Doc. It's the install instructions from JeepAir. It shows how to remove the dash.

MBLG 09-17-2010 04:58 PM

Buy a Hayne's manual, it'll come in handy with your new jeep

ollie526 09-17-2010 06:25 PM

I did a post last week called something like My interior painting story. It has pics and info about when I removed the dash and all panels. The airbag cover mentioned is a pain for sure. Looking back I'd probably try to mask off most of it and paint without removing everything.

redneckpilot 09-17-2010 06:31 PM

Jeep Horizons :: TJ Stereo Install
This site talks about replacing the radio, which includes removing half of the panels. If you start here, the remaining panels are pretty easy to find the screws without another tutorial.

Ditto on the Haynes. Probably cost you about $20 tops. You can get it at Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's... really any auto parts store. Worth its weight in gold.

03 RUBI 09-17-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBLG (Post 776672)
Buy a Hayne's manual, it'll come in handy with your new jeep

IMO Haynes manuals are mostly worthless. Get a FSM instead.

MBLG 09-18-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03 RUBI

IMO Haynes manuals are mostly worthless. Get a FSM instead.

What's a fsm? I just picked it up at the local Canadian tire, they don't stock anything but Haynes

03 RUBI 09-18-2010 07:04 PM

FSM is Factory Service Manual. There's a guy on the forum (forgot his name) that has links to them for free. You'll need to use the search function and type in *FSM*

MBLG 09-18-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03 RUBI
FSM is Factory Service Manual. There's a guy on the forum (forgot his name) that has links to them for free. You'll need to use the search function and type in *FSM*

oh really alright thanks