Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   I Need Help ID'ing Jeep Wheels and Tires (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/i-need-help-iding-jeep-wheels-and-tires-62176.html)

Diavolicchio 09-18-2010 01:34 PM

I Need Help ID'ing Jeep Wheels and Tires

Hey folks. . .

I'm about to purchase a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and am interested in swapping out the stock tires and wheels and replacing them with the exact ones in the photo below. The problem is, I need help identifying them. Any chance a few of you experts would take a stab at identifying both the wheels and tires on this Jeep? I don't have a better photo, but it was suggested the tires may be BF Goodrich KN-2's. However, they could be something else altogether.

I'd also like to get people's thoughts on the actual size of the wheels and tires as well as the lift that was likely done.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.meticulum.com/Wheel%20and%20Tire%20ID.jpg

Demon
Union, Maine 04862

ESP 09-18-2010 02:16 PM

Those look like 38's or bigger! Definitely lifted, no way those would fit under the JK Rubi. The wheels look to be at least 18" maybe more like 20".

jayc 09-18-2010 03:15 PM

I cant help but they look GREAT!!!

Hilldweller 09-19-2010 06:07 AM

I think they're KM2s, low profile on big wheels...

I emailed PJ and asked if they know.

jtsivo 09-19-2010 06:23 AM

Let me know if you want to sell your old springs and shocks.....

Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep 09-19-2010 06:29 AM

Zooming in and a little Photoshop to lighten the color I'm pretty sure I read BFGoodrich which would more than likely mean KM2's. Just look at the front part of the front tire for the branding.

Divotmeister 09-19-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diavolicchio
Hey folks. . .

I'm about to purchase a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and am interested in swapping out the stock tires and wheels and replacing them with the exact ones in the photo below. The problem is, I need help identifying them. Any chance a few of you experts would take a stab at identifying both the wheels and tires on this Jeep? I don't have a better photo, but it was suggested the tires may be BF Goodrich KN-2's. However, they could be something else altogether.

I'd also like to get people's thoughts on the actual size of the wheels and tires as well as the lift that was likely done.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Demon
Union, Maine 04862

Where did you find this photo?

STxWrangler 09-19-2010 09:34 AM

The wheel is a Magnus UltraWheel. I found it at this site:

Ultra Magnus Flat Black Painted

InfernoGirl 09-19-2010 10:00 AM

Nice looking Jeep, but keep in mind you can dress one up to look exactly how you want, but if it doesn't suit your NEEDS it's pretty much worthless.... Looks are one thing, what's functional for you may be different.

Hilldweller 09-19-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 778555)
Nice looking Jeep, but keep in mind you can dress one up to look exactly how you want, but if it doesn't suit your NEEDS it's pretty much worthless.... Looks are one thing, what's functional for you may be different.

Those slick doorhandles make it go faster and get better gas mileage...

Quote:

Originally Posted by STxWrangler (Post 778528)
The wheel is a Magnus UltraWheel.

Your Google-Foo is powerful, Grasshopper.

Diavolicchio 09-19-2010 07:25 PM

Thanks for the great feedback, guys. STxWrangler, I checked out the website for the wheel manufacturer themselves, and lo and behold I found the origins of the photo I posted:

Ultra Wheel

Mr. Ford and Hilldweller, I'm glad to see you two agree on the make of the tires. Thanks for your input.

I've discovered over the past 24 hours that I wouldn't be able to duplicate this look, because I live in Maine and it's illegal here to put a body lift on a vehicle. Technically even lift blocks or shackles are illegal in Maine.

So my question to you experts is this. If I go with the 18x9 Ultra Magnus wheels, could I get a set of 305/60R18 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2's to work on a 2011 Ruby without any body lift and still not have any rubbing?

Any/all feedback appreciated. Thanks again.

Demon
Union, Maine 04862

InfernoGirl 09-19-2010 08:21 PM

I don't think that Jeep has a body lift. It has a suspension lift. Not sure if that makes any difference in Maine or not.... If you can't lift it, you can still do the wheels and tires, just go up to a 32" tire and you'll fit fine with no rubbing.

Hilldweller 09-20-2010 04:34 AM

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 35 for 18s so that you can air-down effectively.

So, if you just have to have those wheels, get some 35s on it with a proper suspension lift of at least 2.5".

I don't understand the fashion wheels anyhow. I bought my wheels because they were on sale, light, strong, the right backspacing, the right diameter, and not too "ghetto" for my age-influenced taste.
In all actuality, I can't even see them while I'm wheeling. Really; I can't. I've tried.

EDIT: Sweet Baby Chesus! They weigh 17 pounds more than my wheels... ...each. Not 17 for 5 of them.
Each!

Diavolicchio 09-20-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 779639)
Personally, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 35 for 18s so that you can air-down effectively.

So, if you just have to have those wheels, get some 35s on it with a proper suspension lift of at least 2.5".

Hilldweller, et al.

Maine is a tough State regarding the restrictions they place on vehicle modifications. I've learned that I can go with a suspension lift of no more than 3", and that it has to be using a lift kit for the whole vehicle. I'm also not allowed to increase the size of the tires more than two sizes beyond what comes stock. I can therefore go no larger than 34" tires on an 18" wheel, or run the risk of the vehicle not passing inspection. I therefore need to make some compromises.

I'm leaning toward going with 305/60R18 BGF Mud-Terrain T/A KM2s on 18 x 9 Ultra Wheel Goliaths. I was told these would require a 5 1/2" backspacing. Is there any chance these would fit on a Ruby without a lift and still avoiding any rubbing? If not, how much of a lift do you think I'd need? If I have to go with a lift, I'd likely go with an Old Man Emu 2 1/2" Light Kit suspension system.

I'm also curious what other Off-Road Max-Traction tires you'd recommend that would fit on 18 x 9 wheels but be closer to 34". Possibly Cooper Discoverer STTs in the same size?

Any/All feedback appreciated.

Demon
Union, Maine 04862

WahooWolfe 09-20-2010 07:30 PM

Maine has too many laws if they're legislating lifts, etc.

Too restrictive for me.

Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep 09-20-2010 08:05 PM

I live in Maine now with my vehicle registered to Oregon so I'm gonna play dumb if questioned about it.

Hilldweller 09-21-2010 04:32 AM

Don't overthink it too much.

Mount a nice 35" tire on those 18s and take a tape measure to it; the weight of the vehicle will handily make it a 34. You can even let out 5 pounds of pressure on inspection day.

A 2.5 or 3" lift will be fine for a 35; if they rub the rear fenders at full-stuff, replace the rears with Bushwacker flat fenders.

I wouldn't run a 305/60-18; there's no performance benefit at all for that width compared to circumference. Just bling factor.

Also, I'd look for wheels with less backspacing than 5.5". I'd say 5 or 4.5 is safer.

SardonicPadre 09-21-2010 12:41 PM

that is one sick looking jeep...even for a 4 dr :D

Diavolicchio 09-21-2010 10:13 PM

Hilldweller:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna take your advice and go with the 35s. I think the final set-up I'll be going with once I receive the Jeep will be the following:
  • 2011 Rubicon 4-Door 6-Speed | Natural Green Pearl | Mopar 3-Piece Modular Hard Top
  • Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Flex Suspension Lift Kit
  • Xtreme Alloys | Series 7005 Matte Black Wheels, 17x9 (4.75" Backspacing)
  • 35X12.5R17 Dick Cepek Radial F-C II's
  • 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
I've been told by a big Jeep enthusiast here in Maine that I shouldn't have much of a problem getting away with the spacers or the 35's, just as long as I'm smart about things when it comes time for inspection. Certain places are by the book at inspection time while others are a little more sane and forgiving. You just have to know the right places to have the inspection done.

If anything looks a little off, let me know. I'm hoping everything will fit and work fine without having to replace the rear fenders. Time will tell.

By the way, how much do you think I could reasonably get for selling the stock wheels and tires that come on a Ruby?

Thanks again,

John

Schwheelz 09-21-2010 11:35 PM

Around $1000 or more for wheels and tires

Hilldweller 09-22-2010 03:55 AM

I'm really NOT a fan of spacers though.
Not sure you'd even need them with 4.75" backspacing. Maybe a different wheel choice with 4.5"; I'm pretty sure they'd fit.

Spacers are illegal in more and more states and there are an increasingly large number of tire chain stores that won't touch your Jeep if you run them.
They're the source of countless bickering threads on this and other forums too....

Diavolicchio 09-22-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 782721)
I'm really NOT a fan of spacers though.
Not sure you'd even need them with 4.75" backspacing. Maybe a different wheel choice with 4.5"; I'm pretty sure they'd fit.

Spacers are illegal in more and more states and there are an increasingly large number of tire chain stores that won't touch your Jeep if you run them.
They're the source of countless bickering threads on this and other forums too....

Bill:

I just had a long chat with my car guru guy out here and he's in agreement about losing the spacers. I'm also switching from the Super-Flex lift to the Standard. I've also heard enough conflicting opinions about the Cepek Radial F-C II's, that I've changed my mind about those and will going with Wrangler DuraTechs as well as 18" wheels instead of 17". So the revised set-up will be:

• 2011 Rubicon 4-Door 6-Speed | Natural Green Pearl | Mopar 3-Piece Modular Hard Top
  • Rubicon Express 3.5" Standard Suspension Lift Kit
  • Xtreme Alloys | Series 7005 Matte Black Wheels, 18x9 (5.00" Backspacing; 0 offset)
  • 325X65R18 Wrangler DuraTechs
  • Eventual Re-Gearing from 4.10 to 4.88

http://www.meticulum.com/wheels.jpg

I appreciate the feedback. It's really helpful.

John

InfernoGirl 09-22-2010 12:24 PM

I think that's too much bs for that size tire... Not sure about that, since I'm new to JK's. But that's almost 12.75 wide and 5" bs is only an inch less than stock. While stock tires are only 10" wide.....

Hilldweller 09-22-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 783225)
I think that's too much bs for that size tire... Not sure about that, since I'm new to JK's. But that's almost 12.75 wide and 5" bs is only an inch less than stock. While stock tires are only 10" wide.....

I agree; you'll be cutting it close.

You'll have a less expensive life for ever if you stick with 16s or 17s for wheels; and I'd shoot for 4.5" backspacing at most.

Diavolicchio 09-22-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 783230)
I agree; you'll be cutting it close.

You'll have a less expensive life for ever if you stick with 16s or 17s for wheels; and I'd shoot for 4.5" backspacing at most.

Inferno & Hilldweller:

If I shifted over to the 17" version of the same wheel, and went with the 315/70R17 Wrangler DuraTrac, would that work? The other tire option I'd consider would be the Nitto Trail Grappler N/Ts in a 35x12.5R17. My biggest concerns are about driving on ice and snow, and having to replace the tires too frequently because of treadwear.

Which of the two tire options would you recommend? Here's the revised wheel info:

http://www.meticulum.com/wheels2.jpg

It's not 4.5" backspacing, but at least I'm moving in the right direction.

John

InfernoGirl 09-22-2010 01:32 PM

Actually that might work. If I'm thinking correctly the negative offset will give you basically another almost 1/4" of bs to accommodate that width tire. Bill, correct me if I'm wrong here.... My brain hurts now.. :)

TR3YNGLER 09-22-2010 01:55 PM

the 1/4" is on the front side already. 4.75" is the BS and 4.25" is the "front space", if you will. That gives you the 9" total width of your wheel.

Diavolicchio 09-22-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR3YNGLER (Post 783379)
the 1/4" is on the front side already. 4.75" is the BS and 4.25" is the "front space", if you will. That gives you the 9" total width of your wheel.

The question though is whether this 17" wheel will work with one or both of the tire options I'm considering. The 315/70R17 Wrangler DuraTracs are 34.4" in diameter and 12.7" in width; the 35x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grappler N/Ts are 34.84" in diameter and 13.19" in width.

Will both options potentially work, or just the Duratracs? I don't know how all of this fits together and how to do the math taking into account the 3 1/2" lift, the backspacing and the offset.

Thanks, guys (& gals),

John

Hilldweller 09-22-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR3YNGLER (Post 783379)

Right.

Here's how I figger it.
Stock Sahara is a 255/70-18 tire on an 18x7.5 wheel with 6.75" bs. That sets your inside edge of rubber at 8" from the hub mounting surface.

The larger of the new ones are 35x12.5 on 17x9 with 4.75" bs; that puts the inside edge of rubber at a mere 6.5" from the hub mounting surface.

You've got an extra 1.5"

Dang. Math.

Diavolicchio 09-22-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 783430)
Right.

Here's how I figger it.

The larger of the new ones are 35x12.5 on 17x9 with 4.75" bs; that puts the inside edge of rubber at a mere 6.5" from the hub mounting surface.

You've got an extra 1.5"

Dang. Math.

Bill:

So the Nitto's would work, too? I just want to make sure I'm following you here. Thanks, man.

John