Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   What have i done (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/what-have-i-done-62208.html)

FREDO 4X4 09-18-2010 05:32 PM

What have i done

Dont get mad at me jeep lovers but i went out an bought a 1977 international scout II traveler today. Im not sure what gave me the need to have this rig but its done now. Shes lic for the road but still needs alot of work they been using it for mud draging for the last couple of years. Im still a jeep guy at heart dont worry about that. Anyways just thought i would share the guy wanted 2500 i got it for 1600.

These pictures are what i like to call good from far but far from good if you know what i mean. It looks ok here but up close not so great shes been road hard and put away wet alot thats for sure. My new project.

http://cache.lespac.com/1/grandephot...1281568241.jpg

http://cache.lespac.com/1/grandephot...1281568259.jpg

FREDO 4X4 09-18-2010 05:37 PM

The scout in the video is the one i bought. Sorry for the bad quality.

YouTube - International Scout qui essaye de sortir le corvette!

Jerry Bransford 09-18-2010 05:44 PM

Scouts are very cool, some of my earliest wheeling trips were with a lot of them. And Scout wheelers are as cool as Jeep wheelers are. One of them made me laugh once after talking about axles & that the conversation turning to the fact I had just spent $1800 for a used Dana 44 axle together with installing a Detroit Locker and gears into it. He laughed and commented that I had more into just my rear axle than he did with his entire Scout that was quite trail worthy. :eek::rofl:

cavediverjc 09-18-2010 05:49 PM

As a confirmed Scout lover, I'm happy to hear you've picked one up and plan to have fun with it!! I grew up as a youngster with a yellow, right-hand drive Scout in the family and have wanted one of my own ever since. A good friend of mine has one for sale and I'd love to buy it, but have no where to put it. My Jeep lives in my garage with my bike, and my poor Power Ranger has to live outside. The Scout is too nice to let sit outside, so unless I find a place to put it, I won't be able to buy the Scout. :(

Congratulations on your new toy!!!!!! :D

FREDO 4X4 09-18-2010 06:03 PM

This one has dana 44 front and back with a 304 and a manual transmission. It feels like it would drive straight though the woods its a real beast. It feels alot heavier than my jeep. i believe it has a dana 20 t-case im not sure of gear ratio.

KBR97 09-18-2010 06:06 PM

Im not mad at ya, I love scouts...awesome trucks!

FREDO 4X4 09-19-2010 10:46 AM

I thought finding parts for my jeep was hard this is on a whole new level. Looks like im going to be robbing other trucks at the junk yard to get it to work. Time to get crafty.

InfernoGirl 09-19-2010 11:43 AM

Scouts have always been cool! Something special about a topless 4x4, no matter who makes 'em....

Vroooom 09-19-2010 11:54 AM

Thas quite a beastie ya have thar.

M' Da had an international 4-dr pick-up when I was but a wee lad.

Dont recall much other than it didnt get anywhere in a hurry....but it went anywhere we wanted.

An tha was with but 2wd.

Nice treasure ye have thar.

phottomatt 09-19-2010 12:15 PM

I LOVE SCOUTS My first real truck was a '76 Scout and I could not believe what that thing would do. It would go through, over and around anything. I cried when I sold it :banghead:(not really) and vowed someday I would own another. But, alas I bought a jeep. :D

FREDO 4X4 09-19-2010 05:41 PM

I been asking questions on the binder planet forum but i rarely get a response Thats one thing alike about it here. So fast to answer and talk about stuff.

Nic of HJP 09-19-2010 06:01 PM

As long as you still have the jeep we won't be mad at you ;). Scouts are awesome!

JDsDream 09-19-2010 07:21 PM

You have great taste in toys. Congrats

FREDO 4X4 09-20-2010 03:55 PM

I just decided today that im going to paint it with a roller has anybody ever tryed this before and if so how did it work out.

wolfen 09-20-2010 04:03 PM

DUDE!!!!! Nice find, and that's coming fro Chevy Truck/Jeep guy, I can't condemn you for buying a Scout, but I CAN and DO condemn the idiot that mad e $X$ Corvette

Geoff@Bestop 09-20-2010 04:12 PM

The thing I like about Scouts is that there are really no Scout "Poser" vehicles. No one buys a Scout to look good at the mall. No one has ever put low profile tires on a Scout.

About ten years ago I had a mythical best: A Scout with no rust. That was a fun vehicle.
I still look at the early Scouts - the 800's - from time to time.

The Traveller is a nice option: lots of room, but still not a full size.

Nice rig.

Geoff@Bestop 09-20-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREDO 4X4 (Post 780433)
I just decided today that im going to paint it with a roller has anybody ever tryed this before and if so how did it work out.

It'll turn out horrible, and it'll fit your new vehicle perfectly. If there was ever a vehicle where you could paint it with a brush and get away with it, this is it. Go for it.

If you don't like it, just make up some "Zombie Survival Vehicle" stickers and cover it up.

Wildkarde 09-20-2010 04:28 PM

Sweet ride, and a decent price if the basics are in working condition. What are you plans for it?

FREDO 4X4 09-20-2010 05:06 PM

I been doing some searching on roller paint jobs and and i think alot of them look great. And most people paint there rig for under 100 bucks thats wicked. Check this video.

YouTube - 50 Dollar Rustoleum foam roller paint job!!! Not even finished and result looks amazing!

FREDO 4X4 09-20-2010 05:23 PM

My plans well. Theres alot

- Rustoleum paint job.
- I need some mufflers cause shes running straight pipes.
- The front springs were changed to something else so i need to find out what they are or just reweld the brackets on the frame and buy new stock set up.
- the shocks are tiny need to be upgraded bouncing all over the place.
- I need to pick up 4 rims from the junk yard for winter. I found winter tires for 160 bucks.
- I need to fabricate a new front drag link as mine is scrap.
- front and rear main seals are leaking im told thats common.
- I want to turn it into a pick-up so i need a terra half cab and bulk head.
- I want to install some roll bars in the box after turning it into a pickup. Cause there is nothing sapporting the roof.
- The fuel tank is busted im going to pick up something that will fit at the junk yard.
- Im going to make tailgate out of webbing at work. After turned into pickup.
- Some IH stickers from work after paintjob.
- fabricate some front and rear bumpers.
- I need fabricate some bump stops.
- there is a bench seat in the front right now may swap out to buckets unsure right now.
- I would like to pick up some bushwacker fender flares but im open to something else that will work.
- Some kind of a box liner after pick up mod.
- undercoating.
- Oh i need to find some mirrors and brakets that will fit as one is missing and one is scrap.

Thats all the plans i have but im sure theres going to be alot more. Im on a budget so im going to be junk yarding and making stuff myself at work. Any plans for my jeep are going to have to go on hold for a bit sorry everyone.

FREDO 4X4 09-25-2010 07:52 PM

OMG i started to sand this beast today for the fancy roller paint job and so far i had to use close of half a gallon of bondo glass. Well i dont want it to look new just better than it was i will post up some picks tomorrow.

FREDO 4X4 09-25-2010 07:57 PM

Here is a before picture as you can see shes pretty rough. Dont mind the john deere sticker i did not put that there. I think this side got squashed a couple times and pushed but out again.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1285462409

wolfen 09-25-2010 08:35 PM

Keep the JD sticker :)

cavediverjc 09-25-2010 08:49 PM

I can't wait to see this beast when you get it painted. What color are you thinking about painting it?

FREDO 4X4 09-25-2010 09:57 PM

Well theres sappose to be a line about a foot front the bottom along the body but its been body filled over so im going to go black up to that line and red on the top half. Im going to chop the roof to turn it into a pick up and paint it black. With a about a 2.5 foot solid black center in the hood with a big IH sign on the hood and a mesh style tail gate cause the roof will be gone and it has a hatch back right now. I got alot of work to do yet. But since im not really doing a super fancy job it should go fast.

FREDO 4X4 09-25-2010 10:06 PM

I dont mind the JD sticker but the guys on the IH forums really dont like it. They are rude and up tight over there. I was asking about chopping my roof and they all attacked me like i was doing something evil chopping a stock roof. One guy said that thing is vintage. Vintage piece of crap thats what i say Great big non useful hatch back door is what it is. Imagine how good the door shocks work on the 200 lbs door right now and it dont latch anymore either. anyways its getting chopped and im posting pics on the IH forum of me Chopping it with a smile on my face:D

Tarby 09-25-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREDO 4X4 (Post 788592)
I dont mind the JD sticker but the guys on the IH forums really dont like it. They are rude and up tight over there. I was asking about chopping my roof and they all attacked me like i was doing something evil chopping a stock roof. One guy said that thing is vintage. Vintage piece of crap thats what i say Great big non useful hatch back door is what it is. Imagine how good the door shocks work on the 200 lbs door right now and it dont latch anymore either. anyways its getting chopped and im posting pics on the IH forum of me Chopping it with a smile on my face:D

Sweet!! IH guys still get pi$$ed about John Deere...lol...that will never end in the tractor world either. I would chop the hell out of the roof too. Will make a nice short bed truck. Awesome piece of iron to wheel...good luck!!

baja 09-26-2010 09:55 AM

I had the chance a couple yrs ago to buy one that had a diesel in it.It had sat for quite awhile so i passed it up.Now I face palm about it.It was a good looking machine.You really need to get that damn green power sticker off that classic.For shame.Don't be driving in Iowa with that on there!Nice truck.

FREDO 4X4 10-03-2010 04:49 PM

Well im still working on the body job there its alot of work with a small electric sander. Anyways i got some pics here of my roof chopped and my bunkhead is built im going to make the upper portion tomorrow at work and i hope its going to fit crossing my fingers on that one. I cant post these on the IH forum cause they all hate me for chopping the roof but i like it better this way.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1286142256

Bulkhead warped a bit when welding it Oh well. I used some stainless from work. It should last longer than the truck.

minigfather 10-03-2010 06:41 PM

hell yeah thats gonna be awesome...i always loved the look like the full size blazers and broncos...