Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Top Speed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/top-speed-62232.html)

thompsontommy 09-18-2010 09:17 PM

Top Speed
 
Ok well hit a new record top speed in my Jeep ---90MPH---
I know amazing right that was in fourth gear on a flat strech of freeway
fifth gear just doesn't have enough poop and forget about any incline
sure rides nice and smooth wish it had more power on the highway.Just put some Castrol Edge synthetic in my engine may be that helped.What do y'all get for a top speed?

distortedtj 09-18-2010 09:20 PM

70 'ish'....That's the highest speed limit near here. ;)

jpatches11 09-18-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj
70 'ish'....That's the highest speed limit near here. ;)

Yea same here, speed limit tops out at about 60 here and the max I'll go over is 5.

TjTheo 09-18-2010 09:39 PM

I hit 85 on a downhill before, scary stuff.

yjkid95 09-18-2010 09:39 PM

Before my motor had a nasty knock in it i got it up to 80-85 just took a 3 mile flat stretch thats all haha now i can barely get it up to 65

MR.CLIFFORD 09-18-2010 09:41 PM

Forrest can verify I've been GPS'd at 103 in my wife's jeep on 35s.

cork1958 09-18-2010 10:20 PM

I know, no one ever bought a Jeep for gas mileage, but I've had mine up to 85mph and still had some to go but, it sucks watching the gas needle drop down faster than the speedo going up!!

Even on the highway where it's posted 70mph, I usually cling to more like 65.

s3nt3nc3d 09-19-2010 12:16 AM

85's the fastest I've gone on the highway (speed limit was 75 and I'll run up to 10 over on the highway) and it was starting to feel a bit squirrely then. I don't see what the point of going any faster than the speed limit is anyway...I mean when I owned a vehicle that I actually intended to race as a young and stupid kid, sure...but when I bought my Jeep, I knew it wasn't made to go fast nor was it designed to safely go fast so I really don't strive to max it out.

essie92 09-19-2010 12:35 AM

I've clocked my speed with a gps at 100 when the engine cuts out because of the governor. The speedometer has said it wa way past 100 but it's off by Alot

elijah.caine 09-19-2010 12:44 AM

Haha pff. Ninety five before pew's dip. And then like probably 2 miles in the air before I touched down. Easy. Haha I embellish. But I did do that. (think ferris bueller and the Valets jumping the Ferrari California.) :)

EdJonesJeeper 09-19-2010 12:58 AM

its a jeep. I was just thinking I'd get a sticker that said 'I Built this thing for the Slow Lane"

Speedo's off and when it's on 70 I'm really doin more but it ain't safe. I'm glad I never bought a sports car. I get that "wow I'm going fast" feeling even when I'm really not... keeps the cops away.

elijah.caine 09-19-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elijah.caine
Haha pff. Ninety five before pew's dip. And then like probably 2 miles in the air before I touched down. Easy. Haha I embellish. But I did do that. (think ferris bueller and the Valets jumping the Ferrari California.) :)

In a 2.5 might I add. Believe it folks.

s3nt3nc3d 09-19-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJonesJeeper (Post 778381)
its a jeep. I was just thinking I'd get a sticker that said 'I Built this thing for the Slow Lane"

Speedo's off and when it's on 70 I'm really doin more but it ain't safe. I'm glad I never bought a sports car. I get that "wow I'm going fast" feeling even when I'm really not... keeps the cops away.

LOL

I used to loooove speeding...maxed my truck out all the time, raced my friends just for fun almost every night. We had a back road we took home from Steak n Shake...which we went to every night at around 2am and on the way home, we'd race side by side at speeds near 105-120mph. And then one night I blew out my front tire...it was the only night that week I was actually driving the speed limit (my friends stopped at Meijer--retail store similar to Walmart and I wasn't in the mood to go there with them). Had I been racing, I probably would have been rolling end over end in a field. I slowed down after that.

ajorosa 09-19-2010 01:53 AM

What size tires and type are you running? I'm on edge with mud terrains going over 65.

EdJonesJeeper 09-19-2010 02:02 AM

^ If you talking to me i'm on 33's m/t itching to go and got the room for 35's

hoboman08 09-19-2010 05:37 AM

i've hit 75, i dont wanna blow my little 2.5 up haha

mattyd 09-19-2010 06:19 AM

85 was as fast as I have gone. There was a little left...but why bother!

meyers 09-19-2010 07:46 AM

Never maxed the Jeep out, maybe 80 on the Interstate. It is not my go fast vehicle, I actually try to gauge if I am going to be late for something, and take one of the other cars!!

GoldTJ 09-19-2010 11:19 AM

I got up to 100,but it was spooky with the soft top flapping and semi-trucks start yanking you around in their airwash.Got that out of my system.I usually stay around 70-ish,but have been known to hit 80.That's about it for me!

robbiecc 09-19-2010 12:45 PM

had my 4 banger/5 spd up to 70 (speed limit 65) had more but bout all i want to go. Had a shimmy at 55 or so that getting the tires balanced fixed-was testing it. This is my work vehicle and it's a 98 so i try not to beat it-can't afford to run the 2500HD w/the gas saver 8.1L. It was killing me with 40 mi 1 way. and yes, i got it for the mileage-20-22 going to work-beats the 12/13 i was gettin with the pickup.

Marsmonkey12 09-19-2010 12:58 PM

I thought if you hit 88 you travel through time.

composto86 09-19-2010 02:49 PM

You will..... But the flux capacitor needs to be ready.

Wyominer 09-19-2010 05:30 PM

Drove across 2/3 of SD yesterday (west to east), from Murdo east kept her between 80-85mph most all the way, with some pedal left. The first 185 miles from home were a different story, head wind, pedal to the floor, 55-75mph if i was lucky or going down hill! First tank of gas I got just over 13 mpg, second tank at the higher speed I got 14.75 mpg!

MBLG 09-19-2010 05:48 PM

top speed is 130 kph, so like 80 mph, revs weren't that high in the four banger but I don't like going that fast, I cruise at like 100-110 kph usually

mavrick300 09-19-2010 07:15 PM

95 in 5th gear scary as fuzzy bunnies but fun lol

Jerry Bransford 09-19-2010 07:23 PM

This is a dangerous thread, it could encourage some kid to drive his Jeep faster than would be safe for him or others on the same road which could have tragic consequences for him or someone else

I hate to sound like the old guy I am but Jeeps just aren't safe to be in or around when driven very darned fast. To me, if you have the irresistable urge to drive that fast, drive something else that is safe to drive fast... a Jeep isn't.

s3nt3nc3d 09-19-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 779121)
This is a dangerous thread, it could encourage some kid to drive his Jeep faster than would be safe for him or others on the same road which could have tragic consequences for him or someone else

I hate to sound like the old guy I am but Jeeps just aren't safe to be in or around when driven very darned fast. To me, if you have the irresistable urge to drive that fast, drive something else that is safe to drive fast... a Jeep isn't.

...or take it to a track for their test and tune nights, where you'll be required to have the proper safety equipment in place for your vehicle, bystanders will be out of harm's way, plus they'll have emergency crews standing by.

EdJonesJeeper 09-19-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 779230)
...or take it to a track for their test and tune nights, where you'll be required to have the proper safety equipment in place for your vehicle, bystanders will be out of harm's way, plus they'll have emergency crews standing by.

or go do the richard petty driving experience at your local NASCAR track!

Best $300 bucks I ever spent and I've been around the block.

I got confirmed 145.55 mph at Charlotte Motor Speedway at the start/finish line. The car carries 165+ in turn 1 and 3.:punk: It's safe and regulated and it'll get your rocks off with plenty of pucker factor.


Again I reiterate...."I built my JEEP for the Slow Lane"

s3nt3nc3d 09-19-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJonesJeeper (Post 779253)
or go do the richard petty driving experience at your local NASCAR track!

Best $300 bucks I ever spent and I've been around the block.

I got confirmed 145.55 mph at Charlotte Motor Speedway at the start/finish line. The car carries 165+ in turn 1 and 3.:punk: It's safe and regulated and it'll get your rocks off with plenty of pucker factor.


Again I reiterate...."I built my JEEP for the Slow Lane"

Wow...$300 to do that? I'll have to look into it...not so much for myself, but my dad is a HUGE Nascar fan...would make a killer Christmas gift if I could get my stepmom to go in on it with me. :punk:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.