Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   AR-15 owners, enthusiasts... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/ar-15-owners-enthusiasts-62457.html)

KBR97 09-20-2010 06:32 PM

AR-15 owners, enthusiasts...

Any of you around? I know there has been a few gun threads here and there.
Im an occasional shooter/plinker. Never really got serious in the sport but I'm itching bad to get my hands on a AR. I shot my buddies quite a few times and Im hooked.

I'm planning on having my lower receiver built by local shop, and then building the upper myslef. Show me some pics...I need ideas, and some inspiration for the build. Im hoping to be less than $1k total on the build. I have been recommended to DPMS Panther Arms, and have read 100's of reviews on all there stuff and it seems they are an extremely reputable company with great prices and great products.

jayc 09-20-2010 06:53 PM

So what do you want to know? with the rail system you can add anything you''s like. the aim point and gogs can get to be a bit pricey. Find out the specs, i want to get the shortest barrel legal, if you want to go shorter you can with a surpressor but the length has to add up to the legal length in the end and the supressor has to be fixed to the barrel permanently. Sorry not much help

kg4kpg 09-20-2010 07:32 PM

I have the DPMS Carbine A2. See below. I just ordered a flat top upper and ordering the 4 rail UTG handguard tonight. I was going to change to a railed gas block for a flip-up front sight but I'm just going to keep the A2 sight and get the A4 handle for iron sight use unless I can fins a nice little back-up sight. My future optics choice will be what I had in Iraq, a Trijicon TA31 4x ACOG. Awesome sight. If I can squeeze out some more cash, maybe a TA55 5.5x. Also planning a second upper built from scratch to US Army Designated Marksmanship Rifle specs. I had to use the M16A4 with the ACOG since they hadn't made the purpose-built rifle yet.

Dude, you have so many options, we all could go on for hours. Determine what you want to do with yours and follow the forums. AR15.Com has tons of good info along with the good info you'll get here from the WF comando's.

http://imagehost.hazmatoffroad.com/f...op6t69xnhr.jpg

harwa004 09-20-2010 07:40 PM

Brother in law scooped one up about 6 months ago. AND HAS NEVER SHOT IT.
I just don't understand. The freak.

KBR97 09-20-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayc (Post 780665)
So what do you want to know?

Just hoping to see some other members post some pics of the AR's they own, and maybe throw out some ideas of things to look for...good and bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4kpg (Post 780713)
Dude, you have so many options, we all could go on for hours. Determine what you want to do with yours and follow the forums. AR15.Com has tons of good info along with the good info you'll get here from the WF comando's.

Nice looking gun! I came across ar15.com the other night. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been using midwayusa.com to build a wish list of all the parts I'm gonna need. So far I'm looking at a flat top, with a 18" barrel, or maybe even a stainless bull barrel, that is if I can get a bull barrel in 5.56. Havent seen one yet.

Im still kinda torn between building a shorter barrel tactical AR as opposed to a longer barreled, accuracy built AR....hmm...maybe I'll have to build 2, lol.

KBR97 09-20-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 780724)
Brother in law scooped one up about 6 months ago. AND HAS NEVER SHOT IT.
I just don't understand. The freak.

My buddy did the same thing...he got a $1800 gun from Rock River Arms and didnt shoot it for probably 6 months....got to the point where I had to beg him and make fun of him, lol.

cavediverjc 09-20-2010 07:48 PM

Here are a couple of links. No sense going into detail about any of them. There are too many companies and too many mods for ARs.

AR-15 Parts & AR15 Accessories - Parts4ar15 ( Handguards, Magazines, Barrels and more)

Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com

RGUNS - AR-15 Type Rifles

AR-15 Pro.com: Your online source for all AR15.

Brownells Search : Rifle Parts - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Don't bother trying to accurize an AR15. Remember, they're 22's. That's it. Granted, they're high power 22's, but they're firing a God-awful tiny round that's easily affected by outside forces (gravity, wind, humidity, etc...) If you want a rifle that's actually accurate out to a moderate distance, think about a larger calibered rifle. If you just want something to keep the zombies out of the barn, then the AR15 will work. Hopefully you'll have better luck killing zombies than our troops do killing insurgents with those little rounds. :D

cavediverjc 09-20-2010 07:49 PM

I don't post pics of any of my firearms since they have to go through a photo-sharing site. My armory isn't for public viewing. :D

KBR97 09-20-2010 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info and the links Cave.
Question for you...as far as accuracy goes. A Yugo SKS, and Ruger 30-06, are either of these worth anything in the accuracy dept??

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 780741)
If you just want something to keep the zombies out of the barn, then the AR15 will work.

This is more my speed, lol.

harwa004 09-20-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97 (Post 780740)
My buddy did the same thing...he got a $1800 gun from Rock River Arms and didnt shoot it for probably 6 months....got to the point where I had to beg him and make fun of him, lol.

Yeah, I make fun of him. That is for sure. He is the type that buys anything that is "hot" at the moment....not guns, mind you. He is into the increasing value end. That pretty boy would probably crap all over himself if he actually shot it. He bought a different stock and everything...brags about it like crazy. But when you ask how it shoots, he just looks at you and says, "I dunno." ARGH! :banghead:

cavediverjc 09-20-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97 (Post 780749)
Thanks for the info and the links Cave.
Question for you...as far as accuracy goes. A Yugo SKS, and Ruger 30-06, are either of these worth anything in the accuracy dept??

This is more my speed, lol.

Forget the SKS.....fun for plinking, nothing for consistent accuracy. As for the Ruger 30/06......it depends on what you consider accurate. If you can have someone bed the rifle, that will help a ton. A trigger job doesn't necessarily make the weapon more accurate, it'll make YOU more accurate with the weapon. I don't know if anyone makes a heavy, target barrel for your Ruger, but that would be a must, as well as a target crown in your muzzle....I'm a firm believer of them in non-muzzle-braked barrels. Also remember that you can make almost anything accurate at close range (under 500m) with enough trigger time, proper ammunition, weather conditions that are cooperating, and a decent piece of glass. It's all about making your point of aim meet your point of impact. That's for an everyday rifle. If you want a full-on long distance target rifle, then you need to get a specialty rifle. One that's made for that specific application.(As well as match rounds......can get pretty expensive unless you hand load. And even then it's not cheap.)

ARs are a ton of fun. They're relatively cheap to shoot and you can personalize them almost as much as you can a Jeep. :D

KBR97 09-20-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 780769)
you can personalize them almost as much as you can a Jeep. :D

I think thats why Im already hooked and I havent even started ordering parts, lol.

harwa004 09-20-2010 08:54 PM

Cool! :eek:

You get to play all day!

TroyD 09-20-2010 09:13 PM

heres mine

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...mallMedium.jpg

DPMS PANTHER

TroyD 09-20-2010 09:15 PM

im very impressed with my REMINGTON model 700 bolt action rifle .243.... i use it for deer hunting.

Vroooom 09-20-2010 09:53 PM

Anything Stoner (designer, not lifestyle) based is awsome and very Jeep-like in its limitless costomizing options.
You were pondering short vs long.
Personally, I'd start short. For basic plinking, reaching out there any distance at all with 5.56 will call for premium ammo which might keep it from being as much fun as just punching holes in paper (etc) at short ranges (out to about 400m)

Another short range option that'll male folks pay attention on the firing line is building on up with a 7.62x39 receiver. Again, cheap ammo. Good for 400m. LOTS of noise. Not much recoil.

When it comes time to reach out there....Hard to beat .308. I've never tried it on an AR receiver (which should be very cool) but my issued springfield was consistantly reliable to 1300m.

If ya just wanna get silly....the AR on stacked steroids...M82a1 (aka M107) .50BMG Weapon weighs 32 pounds empty. lobs a 1 OUNCE round out to about 1.8 MILES downrange. But burns about $3 PER ROUND. Fun to dream about...but unless you won the lottary....just find some other sucker and buy a magazine of his ammo (11 rouds).

For me... I hope to build an upper in 10mm with a mag adapter to use my Glock Magazines. Someday, I'd like to get the "Beowolf" upper which fires a rare .50 round slightly bigger than the .50AE but MUCH smaller (and hopefully cheaper) than .50BMG.

Definately get a lower with Forward Assist if you are planning to use any reloaded ammo. I doubt there any still out there that dont have it.

Have dun. Send pix!

TWIZTIDNINJA 09-20-2010 10:05 PM

I use Rock River arms they are reasonably priced and the quality is excellent. And you can get uppers and lowers in many configurations. The DEA uses them as they're standard long gun.

Hendy 09-20-2010 10:22 PM

M-14, that's all you need

jhawthorne22 09-20-2010 10:25 PM

Always shoots true

1 Attachment(s)
AR-15 with added collapsable bi-pod and red dot scope

RatherBNarizona 09-20-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 780866)
Cool! :eek:

You get to play all day!

The best part of the day is when Spec Ops and SWAT guys show up. They are so intimidating on the street, but when they walk in there, it's like christmas for them haha :D

harwa004 09-20-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNmexico (Post 780995)
Yeah, I get to sit inside their safe room and play with the really big toys. I do their photography for them.
The best part of the day is when Spec Ops and SWAT guys show up. They are so intimidating on the street, but when they walk in there, it's like christmas for them haha :D

I can relate... my ex was SWAT. They are eat up with that stuff. Always a "safe" gift idea for them....

Vroooom 09-20-2010 10:56 PM

M-14....Yeah, buddy!!!
I was the last class to get the M-21 at Ft. Benning back in the 90's before they went back to bolt-action (huge mistake IMHO). I loved my Springfield....if it had fur, I woulda... well... I really liked my rifle.
But without the recoil buffer of the Stoner AR-15 design, I think the .308 might be a bit much of a pounding for some folks for recreational "plinking".
Gotta keep it FUN.

Walkingstick 09-20-2010 11:01 PM

Blue Press has an add:
You can win a Barret .416 82A1
However though, it's without the scope.

Walkingstick 09-20-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendy
M-14, that's all you need

Newest version featured in Blue Press.
SOCOM Bull pup MK. 11 Mod 0(M 14)
Comes with rail systems. Very customizable and very very accurate.

Vroooom 09-20-2010 11:11 PM

hmmmm...... now I got me something to dream about tonight.

Mph6779 09-21-2010 01:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Custom build myself: The Punisher
Vltor upper
Spike tactical lower
Wilson arms barrel chrome lined 1x7
Daniel defense omega free float rail
Larue tactical fug vertical grip
Hogue pistol grip
YNM chrome bolt assembly
TiN plated titanium firing pin
Timney skeletonized 1.5 lbs trigger
Magpul CTR stock
Vltor mil spec buffer tube
Trominex flash supressor
Vltor charging handle w/ tactical latch
EoTech optics

Boosta 09-21-2010 07:13 AM

This is before the acog scope and light 4 rail.http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs426...._3432252_n.jpg

harwa004 09-21-2010 07:24 AM

Pics look great! The only thing I see wrong is that darn H1 in the background....:rofl:

stangfreak 09-21-2010 09:37 AM

i use an M16A4 when i'm not using a M4A1

ACOG sight with a M203, nice
http://www.dogfightink.com/M16.jpg

RatherBNarizona 09-21-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 781225)
Pics look great! The only thing I see wrong is that darn H1 in the background....:rofl:

oh don't worry, he has an LJ Rubi as well :)