Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Handguns. Now!!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/handguns-now-62721.html)

Delta 09-22-2010 09:05 PM

Handguns. Now!!!!

I am thinking about buying a sig p238 as my first gun. The colt remake. The 380 bullet didn't look much smaller than a 9mm, which is the smallest I want to go. The 238 looks super fun to shoot and I'm a tiny lady 5 feet 1 inch so i think it's a good size for my hands. Does anyone by chance own the p238 or have an opinion on it? Guess this is sort of a stab in the dark off topic post and I'm assuming that other jeep lovers might love guns, haha.

RatherBNarizona 09-22-2010 09:30 PM

hmm... no experience with that one
But yes, there are a ton of gun owners on here, so someone has to know! :)

TR3YNGLER 09-22-2010 09:42 PM

Sorry, Delta. I don't have any experience with that one either. I can recommend the Springfield XD-9 Sub-Compact. However, it is a double-stack mag so the grip may be a bit wide for you. Nice pistol though. You should check one out.

mrcarcrazy 09-23-2010 11:33 AM

I'd reconsider.

not because of the firearm itself, but b/c the 380 cartridge is not all that great, and availability of the ammo has a way of going to nothing rather promptly. (I'm not a huge sig fan either, but they are okay firearms, I just don't like them.)

jayc 09-23-2010 11:39 AM

Sig is a great gun, you can put them through hell and they'll still fire. That cartridge size you may want to reconsider as mrcarcrazy said. XDs are great all around guns. I have the .40 dads got the .45 and 3 of my buddies have .40s as well. XDs are great guns plus they come with a lot of extras like the case, holster, dbl mag holster, 2 mags, slide lock, and a speed loader. The S&W M&Ps are nice too. Plus the S&W and XDs are about 200-300 bucks cheaper than a sig. If you're looking for something for youwife I was looking at the hammerless J frame S&W .38 for mine. Light weight, no big recoil and no slide to rack.

16guns 09-23-2010 11:44 AM

380 is nothing more than a 9mm short. With the new 380 ammo out it works well for a carry pistol, though I prefer 40 cal.

Mr. Sinister 09-23-2010 11:55 AM

i pack an authentic wwii remington-rand m1911 a1, complete with the original government serial number on it. i keep it loaded with winchester silvertip hollow points. it's no target pistol, but for self/home defense, you're up close anyway and it makes a big hole.

i have been looking into the ruger gp100 so i can retire the .45 and put it up. not sure if a .357 is too large for you, but the ruger is fairly compact and not terribly heavy.

TR3YNGLER 09-23-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 784882)
i pack an authentic wwii remington-rand m1911 a1, complete with the original government serial number on it. i keep it loaded with winchester silvertip hollow points. it's no target pistol, but for self/home defense, you're up close anyway and it makes a big hole.

i have been looking into the ruger gp100 so i can retire the .45 and put it up. not sure if a .357 is too large for you, but the ruger is fairly compact and not terribly heavy.

I have the 6" Stainless GP100. Too big to carry effectively. The GP101 would be a much easier carry pistol and it's a tank for strength and reliability. Plus, you can fire both .357 and .38 special rounds which is nice.

mrcarcrazy 09-23-2010 12:18 PM

I currently carry a Kahr CW9 - I went from a Glock 26. reason was the width of the glock, and my small size didn't bode well for concealability.

I can pocket carry the Kahr, and its a fantastic firearm. very accurate, goes bang everytime like a Glock.

If you carry where things rust, I'd go glock over xd...my brother had an XD. sold it for a glock after taking as a sidearm when he went hunting in some snow/rainy weather. His buddy was carrying a makarov, the makarov came out of the moisture fine, the XD was already showing rust spots (this is less than 8hrs later).

I'm a huge fan of glocks fwiw, they work everytime. kinda like a good revolver, except with more bb's.

I also have an airweight J frame for pocket carry, that thing is so light you forget its there. it freaking hurts with the +P ammo I use, but I figure I want the biggest bang I can get when I need it. Its a great firearm for a small framed person - no hammer, no slide, light weight, small grip. you can get a laser grip if it makes you more comfortable...does not add bulk. oh and with regular 38 ammo its not too bad on recoil.

Mr. Sinister 09-23-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR3YNGLER (Post 784911)
I have the 6" Stainless GP100. Too big to carry effectively. The GP101 would be a much easier carry pistol and it's a tank for strength and reliability. Plus, you can fire both .357 and .38 special rounds which is nice.

well, as a lady you just need a bigger purse, lol.
it is fairly large, i think i was thinking of the LCR, it's very compact.
how do you like yours? i'm really jonesing for one.

clear lake jeepn 09-23-2010 12:23 PM

I carry a Ruger LCP...or a glock 26....depends on what I am wearing that day. They are both good carry weapons....no failures out of either one at the range...about 500 rounds through each.

wansfel 09-23-2010 12:36 PM

Best bet is to try out the feel of the guns in your hand. Then, if there is a range close by that will let you rent/try out the ones that felt good in hand.

Me? I'm looking at a Glock 29. Serious bang and still carryable.

RescueMe10 09-23-2010 12:41 PM

I have a sig mosquito 22 cal that I play around with. Haven't had any issues with it.

mrcarcrazy 09-23-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wansfel (Post 784951)
Best bet is to try out the feel of the guns in your hand. Then, if there is a range close by that will let you rent/try out the ones that felt good in hand.

Me? I'm looking at a Glock 29. Serious bang and still carryable.

+1 to this.

most gun stores are more than willing to help you out, and let you hold as many as you'd like...

be warned, every gun nut has their opinions on which is best...(myself included)...some might be well founded, and some are just because that's the way its always been for them, or they had one bad experience 30 yrs ago.

mhaines 09-23-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16guns
380 is nothing more than a 9mm short. With the new 380 ammo out it works well for a carry pistol, though I prefer 40 cal.

X2, I carry Steyr 40 or Desert Eagle 40. The steyr m40 is a good compact size and shoots good groups.

toshpate 09-23-2010 01:27 PM

I miss my glock :(

firefighter777 09-23-2010 01:53 PM

I am an all around glock guy but I have owned and shot many sig pistols i have had an excellent shooting exprience with all of them. all of them have been 9mm or 40 though so I can not say on sig .380 pistols. IMO get a GLOCK 26. It is small,would fit your hands, and the recoil is minimal. Also glocks last forever its as simple as that. I shoot excellent groups with my glock 19 which is my favorite all time pistol. But if you pick up a glock for the first time and shoot...expect terrible groups.

530ktm 09-23-2010 03:08 PM

What exactly is it you want with a gun? If it is just for protection any small gun will do the job. I have several guns of variety but one of my favorites to carry is the 6 shot snub nose 38 with the 2 inch barrel. My other favorite is my Browning High Power 9 mil. Then you have the 357 mag with the big barrel and so on and so on. Of course all my guns have been around for the last 25 years but they are sure classic and do the job.

Nthe8s 09-23-2010 03:14 PM

I have a xd-40 from springfield and I love it plus with the accessories that come with it you cant beat it. My wife has the Ruger SR9 which i like as well because of the actual safety it has. I'm more comfortable with her carrying it in her purse b/c of it.

redneckpilot 09-23-2010 03:38 PM

In many areas right now 380 is almost impossible to find. I am a big fan of having a .40 or a .45 personally, but if you're looking for smaller size, the 9mm is probably what you want. I'll also put a plug in for Springfield Arms. Their guns are great and I much prefer their triggers over the sig.

Bottom line, go to a gun show or gun store, handle lots of guns, and ask several dealers any questions you have.

TR3YNGLER 09-23-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 784924)
well, as a lady you just need a bigger purse, lol.
it is fairly large, i think i was thinking of the LCR, it's very compact.
how do you like yours? i'm really jonesing for one.

I'd like to get an LCR sometime. I love my GP100! It is so smooth and accurate. I've only put about 200 rounds through it, but I love it! I've shot some .357 but mostly just .38 since I'm just shooting targets. I bought it thinking I might use it hunting sometime but that never came to pass. I love shooting the high powered Buffalo Bore rounds through it. It's like a freakin' cannon!! 1440fps! I used one of those paper targets with the little legs on it that you can stick in the ground and marked off 100 yrds out at my buddies ranch and, not only did I hit the target from that distance, the target was knocked up out of the ground! That was awesome!

What I really want is the new XDm-45. That's the one I'm jonesin' for. Thinking about selling the GP100 and picking up the XDm

sparky 09-23-2010 04:24 PM

Why do you want to buy a pistol.
No, I'm not saying you should not, but what do you want to use it for.
Need more info before offering advise.

Paper punching, killing tin cans in the back woods, daily carry, night-stand protection.

Also how much experience do you have. DA revolvers are less confusing to operate, especially under stress. Semi-auto's are generally thinner and a little more confortable to carry. Some calibers of revolvers let you switch between light and heavy loads.

Don't let a guns size fool you. A lightweight 38 snub can have a sharper kick than a full size 45.

TroyD 09-23-2010 05:09 PM

i love my XD-9mm. ive put alot of rounds through it. a very comfortable gun. extremely durable. and will out shoot a Glock. IMO glock is highly over rated. i shoot the XD much better than i do a glock. cheaper too. last time i priced guns.

i wouldnt recommend going smaller than a 9mm for any reason.

TroyD 09-23-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 784914)
I currently carry a Kahr CW9 - I went from a Glock 26. reason was the width of the glock, and my small size didn't bode well for concealability.

I can pocket carry the Kahr, and its a fantastic firearm. very accurate, goes bang everytime like a Glock.

If you carry where things rust, I'd go glock over xd...my brother had an XD. sold it for a glock after taking as a sidearm when he went hunting in some snow/rainy weather. His buddy was carrying a makarov, the makarov came out of the moisture fine, the XD was already showing rust spots (this is less than 8hrs later).

I'm a huge fan of glocks fwiw, they work everytime. kinda like a good revolver, except with more bb's.

I also have an airweight J frame for pocket carry, that thing is so light you forget its there. it freaking hurts with the +P ammo I use, but I figure I want the biggest bang I can get when I need it. Its a great firearm for a small framed person - no hammer, no slide, light weight, small grip. you can get a laser grip if it makes you more comfortable...does not add bulk. oh and with regular 38 ammo its not too bad on recoil.

im curious as to why a man would carry a XD or glock while hunting. most would carry a rugar black hawk. or super blackhawk. or other type revovlers of the .38-.44 mag. range??

cavediverjc 09-23-2010 05:17 PM

Maybe he's happy with the size of his penis?

Mr. Sinister 09-23-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR3YNGLER (Post 785317)
I'd like to get an LCR sometime. I love my GP100! It is so smooth and accurate. I've only put about 200 rounds through it, but I love it! I've shot some .357 but mostly just .38 since I'm just shooting targets. I bought it thinking I might use it hunting sometime but that never came to pass. I love shooting the high powered Buffalo Bore rounds through it. It's like a freakin' cannon!! 1440fps! I used one of those paper targets with the little legs on it that you can stick in the ground and marked off 100 yrds out at my buddies ranch and, not only did I hit the target from that distance, the target was knocked up out of the ground! That was awesome!

What I really want is the new XDm-45. That's the one I'm jonesin' for. Thinking about selling the GP100 and picking up the XDm

well if you should decide to sell it..........:D

firefighter777 09-23-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

IMO glock is highly over rated. i shoot the XD much better than i do a glock. cheaper too. last time i priced guns.
you only say that because you can't shoot.

amy 09-23-2010 11:30 PM

Delta, if you can, try out as many different styles of gun and caliber sizes as you can. Buy what feels best to you, not what other people tell you you should buy. It needs to be comfortable for you, or you won't practice with it. Like Sparky said, smaller, lighter guns can have a more painful kick.

As for caliber size, shot placement is more important than how big the bang is. A well placed .380 round will do you more good than a larger caliber that you can't hit your target with.

Marsmonkey12 09-23-2010 11:42 PM

1980somethin .38 special revolver for me

I like the glocks alot aswell

WellsR 09-24-2010 06:22 AM

1911. All that needs to be said