Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Alpine Premium Audio System (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/alpine-premium-audio-system-629066.html)

brooksro 04-05-2014 01:30 PM

Alpine Premium Audio System

I have the titled system. With the bass set as high as it will go, I have to put my ear right next to the sub-woofer to hear anything from it. Is this typical?

wmshay6 04-05-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooksro (Post 9639642)
I have the titled system. With the bass set as high as it will go, I have to put my ear right next to the sub-woofer to hear anything from it. Is this typical?

you dont "hear" a subwoofer as much as feel the thump from low end.

Gord P 04-05-2014 08:45 PM

My rear view mirror shakes with no real increase in the bass.

brooksro 04-06-2014 02:31 PM

Feel no thump either.

Gord P 04-06-2014 03:35 PM

This might seem insulting but it's not my intention... have you tried music that you know has some bass? Have you tweaked the bass settings in the head unit? I have the base 130 head unit and the same speakers as you. Unless the PO swapped some of the speakers in mine as I haven't opened the sound bar and dash to see what's there. By no means is mine bass-heavy but there is evidence of it.

Brian6428 04-06-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord P (Post 9663610)
This might seem insulting but it's not my intention... have you tried music that you know has some bass? Have you tweaked the bass settings in the head unit? I have the base 130 head unit and the same speakers as you. Unless the PO swapped some of the speakers in mine as I haven't opened the sound bar and dash to see what's there. By no means is mine bass-heavy but there is evidence of it.

I might agree with Gord P. In my sport without alpine audio or subwoofer, I can make the rear view mirror vibrate with bass +3 on 20 volume.

Play "On My Level" by Wiz Khalifa on 25 volume. Even if you don't like rap, the first ten seconds is pure bass and will give you a pretty good idea what's up.

ACKMan 04-06-2014 07:42 PM

Brooksro, I have the Alpine system in my 2014 JKUS. I thought the system totally stunk when I first got the Jeep. If you haven't yet. Try setting Treble, Mid, and Bass all to their lowest setting (-9), turn up the volume to 20 or higher, then first increase the Bass to where you like it. I ended up with +7. The Treble and Mid can be adjusted up from the -9 position after you do the Bass, but you may find that you won't want them very high above the -9 setting. Let me know if this works for you.

Afterwards, I ended up adding the fiber fill to the soundbar speakers, and noticed considerably more Bass and Midrange coming from the soundbar speakers as well.

Jim

mikem76 04-06-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACKMan (Post 9669354)
Brooksro, I have the Alpine system in my 2014 JKUS. I thought the system totally stunk when I first got the Jeep. If you haven't yet. Try setting Treble, Mid, and Bass all to their lowest setting (-9), turn up the volume to 20 or higher, then first increase the Bass to where you like it. I ended up with +7. The Treble and Mid can be adjusted up from the -9 position after you do the Bass, but you may find that you won't want them very high above the -9 setting. Let me know if this works for you. Afterwards, I ended up adding the fiber fill to the soundbar speakers, and noticed considerably more Bass and Midrange coming from the soundbar speakers as well. Jim

Hi folks...can someone explain "fiber fill" in the sound bar?

Brian6428 04-06-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikem76 (Post 9669714)
Hi folks...can someone explain "fiber fill" in the sound bar?

I just did it the other week. You need a Torx T-15 bit.

Remove the three screws holding in each soundbar speaker. Behind the speaker is mostly empty space. Pack this area with poly fill. It is the stuff in pillows and can be bought for a few dollars at a fabric store or craft store. You can just pull apart a pillow you already have, though. Put it all around where the speaker goes, packing to medium tightness. Then do the same for directly above where the speaker sits. Don't pack it too tight but tight enough that you have to push the speaker up just a little to put the screws back in.

It improved the sound of my speakers a little, but considering it was free it was worth it.

ACKMan 04-06-2014 08:05 PM

Sorry, I called it fiber fill but the appropriate name is "poly fill". If you do a search for "poly" in the JK General Discussion Forum, you'll fund a message thread with over 400 posts that will explain everything you'll ever want to know about the poly fill in the soundbar including a link to you tube video on the DIY.

Jim

ACKMan 04-06-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian6428 (Post 9669970)
I just did it the other week. You need a Torx T-15 bit. Remove the three screws holding in each soundbar speaker. Behind the speaker is mostly empty space. Pack this area with poly fill. It is the stuff in pillows and can be bought for a few dollars at a fabric store or craft store. You can just pull apart a pillow you already have, though. Put it all around where the speaker goes, packing to medium tightness. Then do the same for directly above where the speaker sits. Don't pack it too tight but tight enough that you have to push the speaker up just a little to put the screws back in. It improved the sound of my speakers a little, but considering it was free it was worth it.

I went to a Michaels Craft store and bought a 45" x 60" poly fill blanket ($8.99). I cut it into 4 pieces and put 2 pieces behind each speaker in the soundbar. I think this was more effective than using loose poly fill. It has some density to it, since it's formed into a blanket. I had used the loose poly fill prior to using the blanket, and was not that impressed with the result.

Also, the increase in mid range and bass is much more noticeable to me when sitting in the front seats than in the back seat (unlimited 4 door).

Jim

flyfishnevada 04-06-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACKMan (Post 9670338)
I went to a Michaels Craft store and bought a 45" x 60" poly fill blanket ($8.99). I cut it into 4 pieces and put 2 pieces behind each speaker in the soundbar. I think this was more effective than using loose poly fill. It has some density to it, since it's formed into a blanket. I had used the loose poly fill prior to using the blanket, and was not that impressed with the result.

Also, the increase in mid range and bass is much more noticeable to me when sitting in the front seats than in the back seat (unlimited 4 door).

Jim

Nice thing about the poly fill is that it's cheap. You can experiment. I'll probably get the blanket and a bag of loose fill and play around. As near as I can tell, the point is to slow the sound waves in the enclosure, or maybe make their path longer - whatever - but it makes the speaker act as if the enclosure is a bit bigger. Paraphrasing what I've read so don't quote me.

I actually like the Alpine and it sounds like a better head unit can really improve the sound, which I planned on so got the base 230 head unit. The Alpine system isn't great but it's not bad. Might have something to do with driving a TJ with a soft top around for the last three years. Anything sounds better than that set up. YMMV

brooksro 04-08-2014 10:25 AM

Thanks for the ideas.

brooksro 04-08-2014 12:31 PM

I went out and put a Johnny Cash CD in and was quite surprised that the bass performance was satisfactory. I guess I'm not getting that much bass from my Country and Western station (satellite). Anyhow, I am satisfied. Thanks again for all the input.

Cozmik 04-08-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooksro (Post 9715241)
I went out and put a Johnny Cash CD in and was quite surprised that the bass performance was satisfactory. I guess I'm not getting that much bass from my Country and Western station (satellite). Anyhow, I am satisfied. Thanks again for all the input.

One of the problems is Sirius itself. The sound quality is pretty sub par. My Alpine system is 'ok' on Sat, and pretty decent with either my iPhone or a disc. Could it be better, yes. But since I mainly have my iPhone plugged in via the USB I'm satisfied with it and in no hurry to start spending money to replace everything. My super loud thumping car audio days are long behind me.

fdisker 04-08-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooksro (Post 9715241)

That's the problem right there. SiriusXM's sound quality has degraded substantially the last couple years. It sounds very compressed and tinny. Sirius and XM were much better before they merged (With XM sounding better IMO).

zx600 04-08-2014 12:56 PM

Scale of 1 to 5 (1 the worse quality sound/volume)

CD = 5
BT with my Z10 = 5 (Either phone playlist or internet radio)
FM Radio = 3
Sirius = 1

panthermark 04-08-2014 01:26 PM

A couple of things...

First...Sirius SUCKS! Their is so much compresession that is sounds like you are listening to AM radio through a tin can. Don't use Sirious to judge your system...pop in a CD (if you still have one) or a high quality MP, or us FM radio is you can get a good, strong signal. Sirius sucks so much that when my free year ran out, I didn't bother to continue it...and they just sent me an email for 3 months free which I might not even bother to take.

Second...There are some major problems with the factory premium system. The factory EQ'ing and processing is awful, and the ONLY tweeters in the system are in the tombstones on the dash, and they are not even powered by your amp....hence the massive amounts of muddy mid-bass. So with the factory speakers, the first thing you have to do is turn the treble up to at least +8, and the mid to at least -8, then adjust the bass to your liking from their.

I poly-filled all my speakers, and replaced the stock Alpine's with 77Kick10's (so I have more actual tweeters now). I think my EQ setting are:

Treble +6
Mid -7
Bass +3

bhgant 04-08-2014 04:40 PM

I know I was very disappointed and shocked that the Alpine system in my 2014 JKU was as bad as it is. I really can't replace the whole system so I replaced the sound bar speakers with the Kicker 77Kick10s and noticed a BIG difference. Need to go back and add the polyfill. I plan to replace the front ones soon with the same speakers and I think that will be all I need. Don't want to put too much $$$ into it but I need something that I can at least crank up and sound decent from time to time.

TerryC6 04-08-2014 06:19 PM

The stock sound bar speakers are full range speakers and can't produce the quality of sound that a coax speaker can. You will have a major improvement just by disconnecting the sound bar. I have a write-up here on what I did to improve the sound bar.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/sou...ld-633626.html

As far as bass goes if the sound is turned up you get some bass, like half volume or better. I like my bass to be reproduced at all listening levels so out with the stock amp and sub in the near future.

Gumbys69 04-08-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 9716769)
A couple of things...

First...Sirius SUCKS! Their is so much compresession that is sounds like you are listening to AM radio through a tin can. Don't use Sirious to judge your system...pop in a CD (if you still have one) or a high quality MP, or us FM radio is you can get a good, strong signal. Sirius sucks so much that when my free year ran out, I didn't bother to continue it...and they just sent me an email for 3 months free which I might not even bother to take.

Second...There are some major problems with the factory premium system. The factory EQ'ing and processing is awful, and the ONLY tweeters in the system are in the tombstones on the dash, and they are not even powered by your amp....hence the massive amounts of muddy mid-bass. So with the factory speakers, the first thing you have to do is turn the treble up to at least +8, and the mid to at least -8, then adjust the bass to your liking from their.

I poly-filled all my speakers, and replaced the stock Alpine's with 77Kick10's (so I have more actual tweeters now). I think my EQ setting are:

Treble +6
Mid -7
Bass +3

How many ohms are the stock speakers compared to your new ones? I heard the Alpines are 2 ohm is that true?

TerryC6 04-08-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumbys69 (Post 9728450)
How many ohms are the stock speakers compared to your new ones? I heard the Alpines are 2 ohm is that true?

Yes that is true

panthermark 04-08-2014 10:33 PM

The whole 2 ohm issue really throws a monkey wrench into upgrades.

I think the stock Alpine 6.5's tested at 2.7 ohms when I measured them on a cheap (free) Harbor Freight voltmeter. There is a YouTube video out there of someone testing the sub and that what 2 ohms on the dot.

TerryC6 04-09-2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 9731666)
The whole 2 ohm issue really throws a monkey wrench into upgrades.

I think the stock Alpine 6.5's tested at 2.7 ohms when I measured them on a cheap (free) Harbor Freight voltmeter. There is a YouTube video out there of someone testing the sub and that what 2 ohms on the dot.

I also got 2 ohms on the mark for the 6.5's in the sound bar.

Gumbys69 04-09-2014 07:24 AM

So finding aftermarket speakers that are 2 ohm may be tough. Is there any even out there?

TheJackal 04-09-2014 07:38 AM

You guys are replacing speakers in the Premium sound system? That's discouraging. Picking my JK up next week.

WebDevDan 04-09-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumbys69 (Post 9736650)
So finding aftermarket speakers that are 2 ohm may be tough. Is there any even out there?

Speaker-wise, people tend to get the Mopar Kicker speakers, model "77KICK10" - a plug-and-play part that apparently sounds pretty good and is an actual proprietary Kicker speaker manufactured for Mopar. I have no firsthand experience but they seem to get positive reviews and are relatively cheap ($50-60 per pair)... I'll be getting them eventually.

Sub-wise, I have no suggestions yet.

N2WATER 04-09-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJackal (Post 9736866)
You guys are replacing speakers in the Premium sound system? That's discouraging. Picking my JK up next week.

I picked up my Sahara yesterday, and yes I was highly disappointed with the system. I am a fairly high end audiofile and I can say the only thing premium about the system is the name.

I am looking into replacement products now.

panthermark 04-09-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebDevDan (Post 9737018)
Speaker-wise, people tend to get the Mopar Kicker speakers, model "77KICK10" - a plug-and-play part that apparently sounds pretty good and is an actual proprietary Kicker speaker manufactured for Mopar. I have no firsthand experience but they seem to get positive reviews and are relatively cheap ($50-60 per pair)... I'll be getting them eventually.

Sub-wise, I have no suggestions yet.

The 77Kick10's are an "OK upgrade" over the stock Alpine's....but they are 4 ohm speakers as well (thus you actually lose volume). So the biggest benefit to them is that they are plug and play (which is no big deal being that adapters are cheap), they have tweeters, and that they fit behind the stock grills.

The fit of them is actually not that flush. I ran a bead of silicone around them when I put them back in the rollbar.

TerryC6 04-09-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumbys69 (Post 9736650)

No not really, the Infinity KAPPA speakers are very nice and come in both components and coax. I almost went this direction.

The biggest problem is the amp itself and how it is wired. 8 sets of twisted pairs, 1 for each speaker and 2 sets for the sub all out of a reported 385 watts. Is it an 8 channel amp with the crossovers built in and 2 channels bridged at the sub? Since there are no published spec we really don't know.