Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Finally got a softtop! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/finally-got-a-softtop-62908.html)

ncossey 09-24-2010 02:42 PM

Finally got a softtop!

Okay guys, so i know it was probably stupid of me but i traded my hard top for a soft top. Im a enthusiast and i hate having to take that heavy ass rear top off when i want some fun in the sun. Question? Do i have to remove the windows to lay the top down??

Jbird450 09-24-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncossey
Okay guys, so i know it was probably stupid of me but i traded my hard top for a soft top. Im a enthusiast and i hate having to take that heavy ass rear top off when i want some fun in the sun. Question? Do i have to remove the windows to lay the top down??

Yes

ammoniaman 09-24-2010 02:54 PM

Only the side windows. You can roll up the back window then lay it down.

Boosta 09-24-2010 03:47 PM

Recommend taking out the back window too. It will give you more years of use.

DougHeffernan 09-24-2010 05:09 PM

I don't think it was stupid... You have so much more flexibility with a soft top..

Johnny HotFoot 09-24-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougHeffernan
I don't think it was stupid... You have so much more flexibility with a soft top..

Agreed! If I have to choose just one the rag top wins everytime

rripror 09-24-2010 09:14 PM

... it's soft top or no top for me.:firedevil: you'll enjoy some weight savings too.:)

KRawson 09-24-2010 09:16 PM

i dont think ill ever buy a hard top. soft tops are perfect IMO.

coop42 09-24-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rripror (Post 787257)
... it's soft top or no top for me.:firedevil: you'll enjoy some weight savings too.:)

You leave the soft top on all year?

daggo66 09-24-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coop42 (Post 787265)

Hell yeah!

InfernoGirl 09-25-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coop42 (Post 787265)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 787337)
Hell yeah!

But of course! :) Wouldn't have it any other way... ;)

InvertChaos 09-25-2010 12:43 AM

I was kinda apprehensive about only having a soft top at first but I've been very impressed with it. The wind noise isn't bad unless you are just really sensitive to noise, its actually very strong, no leaks, easy to put down and put back up (I have it down to 5-7 mins by myself, quicker with a friend).

bobjenkins 09-25-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvertChaos (Post 787582)
I was kinda apprehensive about only having a soft top at first but I've been very impressed with it. The wind noise isn't bad unless you are just really sensitive to noise, its actually very strong, no leaks, easy to put down and put back up (I have it down to 5-7 mins by myself, quicker with a friend).

yeah the only thing thats a pain in the ass is getting the zip started on the side windows other than that its so easy and takes 5 min

CUOFFRDGA 09-25-2010 12:57 AM

I don't know, to each their own. I traded my soft top for a hard top so I could put more lift on the JK and still get her in the garage.

ESP 09-25-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncossey (Post 786776)

How did you trade it? Did you go to a dealership or someone privately? I was thinking about the same thing but man the hard top is really nice to have. Its safer, more secure, less noise, better air flow over Jeep = better MPG, and easier to see out of the glass windows.

daggo66 09-25-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 787896)
How did you trade it? Did you go to a dealership or someone privately? I was thinking about the same thing but man the hard top is really nice to have. Its safer, more secure, less noise, better air flow over Jeep = better MPG, and easier to see out of the glass windows.

I'll give you more secure and less noise, but safer? How? MPG would be neglible if any. It weighs more.

daggo66 09-25-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUOFFRDGA (Post 787624)
I don't know, to each their own. I traded my soft top for a hard top so I could put more lift on the JK and still get her in the garage.

How does a HT fit in the garage better than the ST?

daggo66 09-25-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 787545)
But of course! :) Wouldn't have it any other way... ;)

Mine came with a dealer-added Sahara hard top. I wouldn't buy it unless they agreed to delete it.

ncossey 09-25-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

How does a HT fit in the garage better than the ST?

I guess if you dropped the window, and cut the rollbar off hahahahah!!!

ESP 09-25-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 787909)
I'll give you more secure and less noise, but safer? How? MPG would be neglible if any. It weighs more.

Weight has some impact on MPG but not as much as wind and rolling resistance. A hardtop allows air to pass over your Jeep evenly on all sides unlike a soft top that breaks apart the current that passes over each side. You do get better MPG from less resistance. You are still driving a refrigerator however so I'll take a little advantage here and there. Having owned both the standard stock soft and now a 3-piece freedom top I can say it definitely affects your MPG.

Safer? Absolutely. We are talking about a soft top that can be pierced from almost any element when trailing vs a secure soft top for your cargo and passengers.

greese 09-26-2010 12:09 AM

I like my hard top. really wish I had a soft top though. what the heck are you supposed to do with those panels anyway?

T-Rav 09-26-2010 12:54 AM

I've got both for my JK and tend to prefer soft..easier to put up n take off.

You definitely want to take all windows off when going topless. I made the mistake of leaving the back window on when going topless with my TJ, scratched up the window more n wrecked the zip :(

Boosta 09-26-2010 01:35 AM

Yeah I love the soft top. I always think, man, I hope nothing drops on top of the vehicle because we would be in trouble, but I also am very wary of my surrounding so barring a freak accident..if it's in the cards for me to get speared by a tree.... so be it.

CUOFFRDGA 09-26-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncossey

I guess if you dropped the window, and cut the rollbar off hahahahah!!!

You have more clearance with the hard top. 2" shorter than the soft top if I remember correctly

89yjfreak 09-26-2010 02:29 AM

i traded my hard top for a commercial grade lawn mower and some cash then put a soft top on it and i like the soft top way better