Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ Tech Forum (
-   -   Hardtop Questions (

thebigdustin 09-24-2010 09:32 PM

Hardtop Questions

I'm looking at buying a hardtop from a guy locally, he got it from a '99 TJ and it will be going on my 05. Guy believes its an oem top, he was the one that removed it. I went over today to look at it. I cant see any decals, or markings of any kind to say otherwise that this is not an oem top. It just looks factory. Its in great condition aside from some chipped paint on the edges from sitting on the floor. I couldn't see any cracks, chipped or broken glass. Very very clean. Glass on the back has defroster and wiper, looks to be in good order. All the seals and hardware are there except for the main tub gasket, no biggy. Heres The Thing. Its missing the windshield latches. there is just a strip of metal with some holes in it. He told me thats how it was attached to the '99. I wish I took some pictures of it, but it never dawned on me until now. Is there someplace you can get those latches, can they even be put on? Is it maybe some off brand that requires you to screw it to the windshield, or is that how the older tops attach? Every after market top I saw had the latches... I tried searching to see if anyone else had this issue, only thing i could find was someone mentioned taking the latches off your factory soft top windshield header and putting them on your hard top. If thats the case then game on. Otherwise I really don't want to go drilling holes in my windshield frame that weren't already there. It bugs me.

Any help would be appreciated, Ill probably pick it up monday but I want to make sure i have all my eggs in one basket, Thanks in advance

ammoniaman 09-24-2010 09:38 PM

Sounds like a CJ or YJ hardtop.

GoldTJ 09-24-2010 09:39 PM

I suggest a heapyard or Mopar dealership on that!

Vector6 09-25-2010 07:53 AM


Originally Posted by thebigdustin (Post 787345)

there is just a strip of metal with some holes in it.

He told me thats how it was attached to the '99.

thats a CJ/YJ top... the seller is full of doo doo and trying to fool you

Atthehop 09-25-2010 08:58 AM

It's a YJ, I had a YJ and that is how they attach in the front.

solman 09-25-2010 09:05 AM

Its not a TJ top if it has the strip. The TJ top has no strip and just 2 latches the same as your soft top has.

thebigdustin 09-25-2010 09:02 PM

i didnt buy it, nor am i going to. thanks for the info guys.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.