Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Stuck Top (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/stuck-top-62963.html)

trustnoone 09-24-2010 11:10 PM

Stuck Top

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a weird one. The weather is looking good so I thought I would try to take the top off my '98 TJ that I bought a few weeks ago.

I had no trouble getting the Torx bolts out but when I went to hoist the top off it felt like the front was glued to the headliner and windshield frame.

It kinda looks like it has been glued particularly on the right side window frame clamp Here's a photo, does it look normal or did the PO do something clever? I think he either damaged the hardtop or bought it at some point after the original purchase maybe off a different year and rigged it so it would work.

Being late September I don't want to screw with it too much but if it's messed I'll fix it in the spring.

Thanks,
TNO

distortedtj 09-24-2010 11:14 PM

That "peanut butter" looking stuff sure looks like liquid nail to me. Liquid nail is a sealant and adheasive. :eek:

trustnoone 09-24-2010 11:50 PM

great :confused:

So come spring should I rip it all out? I want to get a soft and or safari top which is one of the reasons I made the attempt. I wanted to see what I had for a headliner. I'm thinking what I have for a headliner is going to be trashed once I take the top off.

distortedtj 09-25-2010 12:07 AM

Well good wishes bud...I can't tell you for positive what you have there without being able to see it up close...could just be some silicone. Maybe the PO had a air leak and thought it to be a good idea to seal it up. :zap:

As for what header you have.....NONE. there is no header with the hardtop. Just the windshield and rubber seal.

bobjenkins 09-25-2010 12:08 AM

wtf PO did he glue on the wheels too?

InfernoGirl 09-25-2010 12:14 AM

I just have to ask, based on the pic.... Did you unlatch the clamps?

bck4more 09-25-2010 12:23 AM

Haha i sure hope he did but hey we all make mistakes

Amped 09-25-2010 12:34 AM

From the looks of it, you could prolly very delicately score that sealant/glue/peanut butter with a nice sharp knife, and get a couple buddies to help you lift it off. Have them lift from the back and pivot up on it while you watch it from inside. Luckily for you that rubber windshield zeal in nice and thick and durable.

98-4Banger 09-25-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 787502)

I wont lie but that would be hilarious! hopefully he did :rofl: or hell be doing this alot --> :banghead:

trustnoone 09-25-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 787502)

LOL. Yes, I did.

When I finally do get it off, should the hard top come away from the seal? Does the seal then come off the windshield?

distortedtj: You may be right. If he did have a leak he certainly fixed it. The passenger side clamp doesn't have that nice snug locking feel I would expect. Maybe it's shot.

distortedtj 09-25-2010 08:49 PM

The rubber will stay with the windshield.

trustnoone 05-25-2011 01:17 AM

Took another look at the seal the other day. It looks dried and cracked which is why I think the passenger side clamp doesn't have a firm clamping feel to it. A replacement seal from my local Jeep dealer would run me a $150. Are there less expensive options to fixing this up for use with the current hard top and a future soft top or am I better off just forking out for a new seal?

Austen 05-25-2011 01:27 AM

Yeah the cheaper fix is called Liquid Nail :rofl:

JeepinCpt 05-25-2011 07:18 AM

Check JC Whitney, quadratec, or even morris 4x4 for replacement seals.