Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Almost Ticketed For NOT Signaling A Left Turn! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/almost-ticketed-for-not-signaling-a-left-turn-63545.html)

Blackbeard1718 09-29-2010 07:52 PM

Almost Ticketed For NOT Signaling A Left Turn!

I have never read anything like this, on any of the 7 Jeep Forums I belong to. Just wondering if it's happened to anyone else out there in the JK Realm.

I've had my Jeep just over a year, purchased in July 2009. I live about 30 miles from San Antonio. Yesterday, I was driving home from a Doc's appointment at the VA Hospital in SA. About half way back, I was stopped at an Intersection Traffic Llight, waiting to make a Left Turn. There was a Police Officer coming form the direction to the left of me, that was waiting for his Light to turn green too. When I got my Left Arrow to turn, I made my Left Turn, onto the same road that the Police Officer was heading in the opposite direction on. All of a sudden, I got a Siren Blast, and Lit Up to pull over.

When I stopped, the Officer walked up to me, and asked me:

PO-PO: Sir, do you know why I stopped you?
PO-ME: No Sir. No idea what so ever.
PO-PO: You failed to signal a Left Turn when you turned onto O'Conner Rd.
PO-ME: No Sir! I ALWAYS signal when I'm in traffic. I've been driving 36 years, and have never been cited for not signaling.
PO-PO: Sir, when you turned, your Left Signal Indicator wasn't lit up. I was watching it as you turned, and it never came on. It's possible it may be burned out, in which case I'd have to cite you for inoperable equipment.
PO-ME: May I try my signals to make sure they work?
PO-PO: Go ahead. I'll check them from both sides. Do your left signal first, and then your right.

I signaled Left/Right, and my Clicker flashed as it always has. Had it flashed and clicked rapidly, faster on one side than the other, it would have been an indication that I had a burned bulb, but they didn't. They operated normally.

As he walked around my Jeep, he looked at the Sides, Front, and Rear, checking the Signals.

PO-PO: Your Front Side Turn Signals are out. They're not flashing at all.
PO-ME: Front Side Turn Signals? I don't have any. I have Front Turn Signals, but none on the Front Sides. Can I get out of my Jeep, so you can show me which Signals you're referring to?

He asked me to step out, and just as I had suspected, he pointed right to the Side Marker Lights on the Fenders.

PO-ME: Officer, those aren't Turn Signals, they're SIde Marker Lights. They only come on when my Parking or Head Lights are on. The only Front Turn Signals I have, are the two on the front of my grille. Can I turn my lights on and show you?

As I turned on my Lights, Parking and Head Lights, respectively, I hit the Left/Right Turn Signal Stalk, and both Front Turn Signals came on. But the Side Markers just stayed lit and did nothing, as they're designed to do.

PO-PO: Well Sir. I'll give you a Verbal Warning this time, but you need to get those fixed.
PO-ME: Get WHAT fixed, Officer? They come from the factory like that. There's nothing to fix!
PO-PO: I'm just letting you know Sir, that if I stop you again for this same violation, I will have to cite you.
PO-ME: Officer, this particular Jeep model came out in 2007. They just released a 2011 version, that operates the same exact way. Any Jeep Wrangler JK made between 2007-2011 will. It's how they're designed.
PO-PO: Well Sir, you need to have Jeep do something about this, before you're ticketed in the future.
PO-ME: Officer, I have BlueBonnet Jeep Service Department's phone number on my phone. I'll be glad to let you talk with the Service Manager. He'll tell you the same thing I am. They've been making Jeeps since 1941, and I've never read about someone being ticketed for Side Markers not Flashing.
PO-PO: Sir, it's a faulty design, and you should look into getting it repaired. Have a good afternoon.
PO-ME: You too Officer!

I was FURIOUS! What a crock! I never raised my voice to the Officer, never got upset, and never got disrespectful. I was actually shocked and surprised, that being in his late 30's/early 40's, that he had pulled me over for this. A Rookie, I could understand. But this guy looked like he had been around the block a few times, and knew his stuff.

I remember reading about the Turn Signal Mod on the Forums, where you can connect the Turn Signal to the Side Markers, and have them Flash. Just for the heck of it, I stopped by my Dealer, and asked them if they could do that. They said they couldn't alter the way the lights were electrically connected. They weren't allowed to. So, looks like I'll be looking for an Automotive Electricican to re-wire my lights for me!

Other than that incident, it was a GREAT DAY to be out in a Jeep! Sunny, 82 Degrees as a High Temp, no humidity, and very little wind. Felt so good, I stopped by Pizza Hut for a Personal Pan Pizza for lunch!

Cheers!

BB

Fweaky 09-29-2010 07:58 PM

Its funny you mention this. When I sold my CJ and started working on my YJ I noticed the side markers didn't blink when the turn signals were on. I would have sworn the side markers flashed on the CJ. :confused:

yjkid95 09-29-2010 08:01 PM

To be honest that cop sounds like one thats a ballbuster not all cops are but some have an ego on them. I would have gotten the officers name called the local station and explain to them that your jeep functions just like every other jk on the road.

Wildkarde 09-29-2010 08:01 PM

Sounds to me like the cop didn't want to admit he was a idiot......

TroutBumJK 09-29-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718
I have never read anything like this, on any of the 7 Jeep Forums I belong to. Just wondering if it's happened to anyone else out there in the JK Realm.

I've had my Jeep just over a year, purchased in July 2009. I live about 30 miles from San Antonio. Yesterday, I was driving home from a Doc's appointment at the VA Hospital in SA. About half way back, I was stopped at an Intersection Traffic Llight, waiting to make a Left Turn. There was a Police Officer coming form the direction to the left of me, that was waiting for his Light to turn green too. When I got my Left Arrow to turn, I made my Left Turn, onto the same road that the Police Officer was heading in the opposite direction on. All of a sudden, I got a Siren Blast, and Lit Up to pull over.

When I stopped, the Officer walked up to me, and asked me:

PO-PO: Sir, do you know why I stopped you?
PO-ME: No Sir. No idea what so ever.
PO-PO: You failed to signal a Left Turn when you turned onto O'Conner Rd.
PO-ME: No Sir! I ALWAYS signal when I'm in traffic. I've been driving 36 years, and have never been cited for not signaling.
PO-PO: Sir, when you turned, your Left Signal Indicator wasn't lit up. I was watching it as you turned, and it never came on. It's possible it may be burned out, in which case I'd have to cite you for inoperable equipment.
PO-ME: May I try my signals to make sure they work?
PO-PO: Go ahead. I'll check them from both sides. Do your left signal first, and then your right.

I signaled Left/Right, and my Clicker flashed as it always has. Had it flashed and clicked rapidly, faster on one side than the other, it would have been an indication that I had a burned bulb, but they didn't. They operated normally.

As he walked around my Jeep, he looked at the Sides, Front, and Rear, checking the Signals.

PO-PO: Your Front Side Turn Signals are out. They're not flashing at all.
PO-ME: Front Side Turn Signals? I don't have any. I have Front Turn Signals, but none on the Front Sides. Can I get out of my Jeep, so you can show me which Signals you're referring to?

He asked me to step out, and just as I had suspected, he pointed right to the Side Marker Lights on the Fenders.

PO-ME: Officer, those aren't Turn Signals, they're SIde Marker Lights. They only come on when my Parking or Head Lights are on. The only Front Turn Signals I have, are the two on the front of my grille. Can I turn my lights on and show you?

As I turned on my Lights, Parking and Head Lights, respectively, I hit the Left/Right Turn Signal Stalk, and both Front Turn Signals came on. But the Side Markers just stayed lit and did nothing, as they're designed to do.

PO-PO: Well Sir. I'll give you a Verbal Warning this time, but you need to get those fixed.
PO-ME: Get WHAT fixed, Officer? They come from the factory like that. There's nothing to fix!
PO-PO: I'm just letting you know Sir, that if I stop you again for this same violation, I will have to cite you.
PO-ME: Officer, this particular Jeep model came out in 2007. They just released a 2011 version, that operates the same exact way. Any Jeep Wrangler JK made between 2007-2011 will. It's how they're designed.
PO-PO: Well Sir, you need to have Jeep do something about this, before you're ticketed in the future.
PO-ME: Officer, I have BlueBonnet Jeep Service Department's phone number on my phone. I'll be glad to let you talk with the Service Manager. He'll tell you the same thing I am. They've been making Jeeps since 1941, and I've never read about someone being ticketed for Side Markers not Flashing.
PO-PO: Sir, it's a faulty design, and you should look into getting it repaired. Have a good afternoon.
PO-ME: You too Officer!

I was FURIOUS! What a crock! I never raised my voice to the Officer, never got upset, and never got disrespectful. I was actually shocked and surprised, that being in his late 30's/early 40's, that he had pulled me over for this. A Rookie, I could understand. But this guy looked like he had been around the block a few times, and knew his stuff.

I remember reading about the Turn Signal Mod on the Forums, where you can connect the Turn Signal to the Side Markers, and have them Flash. Just for the heck of it, I stopped by my Dealer, and asked them if they could do that. They said they couldn't alter the way the lights were electrically connected. They weren't allowed to. So, looks like I'll be looking for an Automotive Electricican to re-wire my lights for me!

Other than that incident, it was a GREAT DAY to be out in a Jeep! Sunny, 82 Degrees as a High Temp, no humidity, and very little wind. Felt so good, I stopped by Pizza Hut for a Personal Pan Pizza for lunch!

Cheers!

BB

Hi there, this is my first post. Been reading the forum for a while as I am looking to buy a new JK. I couldn't help but to respond to this. Obviously, the officer was ill informed. Have your dealer make a note on letterhead that these lights are not designed for that purpose. Put the note in your glovebox and present it to the officer should you ever get pulled over again. Simple solution and you won't have to waste time and money getting those lights reworked. You drive a jeep not an 18-wheeler. There is no "side indicators" on most passenger cars, only the ones in front and rear are required.

Hope this doesn't happen to you again.

cj7geojeep 09-29-2010 08:08 PM

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous...I have never hear of that being a law... And I rarely see a ANY vehicles even non jeep ones, that do have blinking side markers...what a jerk of a cop

coop42 09-29-2010 08:09 PM

I got a speeding ticket recently.( a little high) and went to court to fight it. When I talked to the DA, she offered me a "no turn signal" ticket instead. I jumped on it. 2 points beats 5!

TroutBumJK 09-29-2010 08:11 PM

Wow, okay now I know not to use the quote button on such a large initial post. I'm using the iPhone app. Just saw how to reply to the forum without quoting. Sorry about that.

InfernoGirl 09-29-2010 08:11 PM

Side markers flash on my TJ....... But they don't on the JK..... Weird.

daggo66 09-29-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 794391)

He's talking about the lights on the flairs.

You should have asked where his side flashers were.

TroutBumJK 09-29-2010 08:29 PM

Furthermore, not sure what your local laws are there in TX, but here in AL you are not required to signal if you are in a designated turn lane. It sounds as though you were because you mentioned the turn arrow signal.

bwdenman 09-29-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildkarde (Post 794369)
Sounds to me like the cop didn't want to admit he was a idiot......

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!

"it's a faulty design, YOU should look into having that repaired"....ha ha ha ha. Next time your at the Chrysler plant having lunch with the design team, mention that.

Ageless Stranger 09-29-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 794391)

That's what I was thinking Linda. I know they do at night for a fact because they alternate front-flair-front-flair, don't know about the JK though. Hmmm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 794400)

So is she. ;)

Robd225 09-29-2010 10:09 PM

That police officer must have a lot of time on bis hands. In most states you only need one working turn signal on each side of the front of your vehicle. Does your state have vehicle inspections? If so and you passed then the officer couldn't give you a summons for stock vehicle equipment that working the way bits designed to.

Blackbeard1718 09-29-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

You should have asked where his side flashers were.

Believe me Tom... he HAD his! Lit me up like a Christmas Tree!

Well, that happened yesterday, Sept 28th, the end of the month! Can you say, "Ticket Quota"?

Cheers!

BB

bobjenkins 09-29-2010 10:38 PM

I was pulled over with my old truck. the windshield had a crack about 8 inches long. he cited me for a dangerous driving with a windshield that could shatter at any moment.

even more rediculous I have been pulled over within 5 minutes of being in a hit and run because the jackass who was drunk rear ended me going 60+ in a 45 zone and broke my taillight. had to explain for 10 minutes to the cop that I was just hit. Ive had no luck with cops. and if it cant get worse my neighbor is a cop and he owns an FJ cruiser:rofl:

gdub 09-29-2010 11:07 PM

Just print out a copy of this...

FMVSS No. 108 Full Text

Per TX state ordinance, they follow the FMVSS 108 publication - so ask him to show you how the JK doesn't meet these requirements...

Search the page for "Turn signal lamps......."

I think it's the second occurrence...

Just out of curiosity, what make / model of patrol car was he driving - You usually only see the side markers on imports - usually europeans... And I would bet a dozen donuts he didn't have them (yeah, pun intended - no offense - but ya know)...

TR3YNGLER 09-30-2010 12:58 AM

If this had happened to me, I'd be going out of my way to drive past that copy every chance I could. I'd file a formal complaint against him every time he felt it necessary to be such a turd and stop/ticket me, then I'd see him in court to watch him try to explain his stupidassness to the judge.

InfernoGirl 09-30-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

:rofl: Tom, I kind of figured out, even tho' I'm a girl and blond that when he said "Side markers" he meant the ones on the side of the Jeep, not the front. :rofl: I'll admit, it kinda made my brain hurt to figure that one out, but I did it all by myself.... :D
And yes, I grabbed the keys and checked both with my own two eyes... :)

kik 09-30-2010 07:54 AM

Every profession has it's 10% of idiots. Best thing is to let it go. There are threads on how to hook up the side markers to blink without causing a problem if you want.

Mr. Sinister 09-30-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjkid95 (Post 794368)
To be honest that cop sounds like one thats a ballbuster not all cops are but some have an ego on them. I would have gotten the officers name called the local station and explain to them that your jeep functions just like every other jk on the road.

x2

i have nothing but respect for police officers, but they REALLY need to get some consistency and educate some of these cops. how can you put people in a position to write tickets and fine people for vehicle infractions, who know NOTHING about cars/trucks?

daggo66 09-30-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 795054)
:rofl: Tom, I kind of figured out, even tho' I'm a girl and blond that when he said "Side markers" he meant the ones on the side of the Jeep, not the front. :rofl: I'll admit, it kinda made my brain hurt to figure that one out, but I did it all by myself.... :D

You are a girl you know.

jgano23 09-30-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 795112)
You are a girl you know.

careful darlin', you wouldn't want to get "hoffed" would you? :D

mrcarcrazy 09-30-2010 08:43 AM

you really should get that fixed Blackbeard. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Many cops (or men in general based on what my wife says) can't be wrong, and will defend their stance even when proven wrong. I had one do a similar thing to me, except I got the ticket. The cop that cited me, was a rookie with a hardon.(figuratively at least).

mikenmo 09-30-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 795054)

Infernogirl, you crack me up. Thanks for the smile on a crazy morning at work!

Ray - San Jose 09-30-2010 09:18 AM

He just wanted to check out a cool Jeep that he'd never be able to own.

Could have been worse. I've been ticketed for having a headlight out while it turned was on.

burton160w 09-30-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

I was pulled over with my old truck. the windshield had a crack about 8 inches long. he cited me for a dangerous driving with a windshield that could shatter at any moment.
I hate to be THAT GUY but I've not only seen it happen, I've had it happen with smaller cracks. Chips, breaks, and cracks in the windshield spread like wildfire under the right conditions. I think he should've let you off with at most a warning, but this one I'm inclined to say is valid.

Quote:

Many cops (or men in general based on what my wife says) can't be wrong, and will defend their stance even when proven wrong.
Maybe it's because all I get to deal with are NJ cops (which I know a few good ones), but many often have this superiority complex only overshadowed by the DA.

The other day I was driving back to school in the rain. This Ford Explorer truck comes around the turn heading opposite me, tail spins, and veers right behind me and hits the guardrail. I turn around and parked up on a curb and a girl of about 18 gets out of the truck, dazed walking all over the highway. I went up to her and had her sit in my drivers seat while I went and shut her truck off (which was absolutely demolished) and directed the semi-truck that was behind her around traffic. Called the cops and did the basics.

Went back up to her and asked her was she okay. She's bleeding bad on her knee and forehead, pale as a ghost, and shes complaining that her neck is absolutely killing her. I had a First Aid kit in my car and got her knee and forehead cleaned up and told her to keep her head straight back against the seat don't try and move around.

Finally the state trooper pulls up and is obviously a rookie. Stuttering no idea what to say, he starts asking for her license her registration insurance... and keeps saying that's all in the car. The cop goes alright well this Jeep is blocking traffic (mind you I'm completely up on the curb) and I'm going to ask you to get out and go sit in my car. I told the cop I wouldn't move her until the ambulance gets here since she's complaining about a head and neck injury.

He said to me, "Are you a doctor or something?"

"No, but I've been a lifeguard seven years and wouldn't move her around until you know the extent of her head injury." [edit: I definitely didn't say it like my original post]

And he laughed, "I'd say my first aid training is a little more intense then your lifeguarding course."

:banghead: I didn't say it, but if he was the least bit competent he would have assessed the situation first and attend to her before worrying about what's in the car.

Then, when all was said and done, he told me I was free to go. I asked him if there was anyway I can get a note from him because I was heading to class at East Stroudsburg and missed a test. "I don't have anything to give you." I said just write something in your notepad with your number and that's fine. He then tells me "I guess it's worked out for you that she hit the guardrail."

I lost it, I told him back "I would have stopped regardless of where I was going, but now that it's all said and done and out of my hands, I need to get back to my reality that I'm in school."

I know everyone tries to say that cops are good, but out of all the experiences I've had with them, I've never had a positive one whether they're supposed to be helping me or ticketing me (that said, I know cops who are good friends, but I don't know what kind of cop they are).

On another note, that's the first time I've ever seen airbags deployed and they STINK.

aelwero 09-30-2010 09:49 AM

LOL, I actually wired everything on my DJ myself, and wired the flare markers as the blinkers and the lights on the front grill as the markers, because you can see the flares from the front and the sides both, better I thought.

Went to the inspection place (also in TX) to get my sticker and the guy said the FRONT lights HAVE TO BE the blinkers, and only markers are needed on the side. I took out my swiss army knife and swapped the outputs at the dash connection to switch em out and got my sticker, which is to say the guy at the inspection place actually had me switch them out to be exactly the same as they are on a JK...

I'm going with X3 that the guy didn't notice there were two sets and didn't want to admit to a stupid mistake... personally I would forget the whole thing. If he has any sense he won't go any farther with it, and if he does cite you, like TR3YNGLER said, he'll wind up getting to explain his stupidassedness to a judge.

PTaylor 09-30-2010 10:15 AM

Best thing to have when dealing with cops, a good lawyer.
If you go to traffic court by yourself, more often than not, you will loose. women have a better chance at winning or not getting a ticket, but not always.

also, and some of the cops here could answer this one, but I've heard they do have a quota to meet each month, some tickets being money makers and some being warnings.

I've went to court before and won, then again, I've lost ones that the person before me was charged with and won.

an example, when a speed limit changes. I got popped a few years ago for accelerating before crossing the "invisible line". so, It was 45, went to 55, I got popped for doing 50 in a 45, even though he got me "at the invisible line".

woman in front of me, same thing, got popped doing 52 in a 45, she was leaving the zone and got ticketed. judge let her go cause she said she was leaving the 45 zone. My turn, he said that was no excuse.

What a joke, just another clear message that the system is a joke.

Sf_Kilo 09-30-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 795095)
x2

i have nothing but respect for police officers

Sorry I'm the complete opposite the cops around here know less about the laws than 85% of the population.....
They are the biggest offenders....

some of the cops around here are bad news, had 2 cops fired so far for harassment...
Suing a police station is not fun you don't want to have to do it...
Its nice now though cause I know around half of them and they are pretty good guys once the bad apples are tossed.....
I respect the person not the badge......

x2 on getting the service manager to write a description up on letterhead for your glove box that's what I did...