Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

lift question

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Ironhead Jed 
#1 ·
Okay this is my first tj I had a yj prior to this. So can someone please explain why the Rancho 3.5" lift will except 35's but a 4" procomp will only accept 33's unless I do some modifying to the fenders and bumpstops?

#2 ·
I have been told Rancho measures their lifts on the back axle while other companys measure theirs off the front. With the factory rake when you lift the front 4" the back comes up 2-3". If you raise the rear 3.5" the front comes up 4.5-5.5".

I have the Rancho 3.5 and thats what I was told but then again may be just bs. Someone on here probably knows for sure.

#12 ·
There are many other ways to go.

Rancho kits use a bushing in a fixed control arm, ie, less flex than stock arms. Plus these bushings are known to put stress on the ca mounts. Their higher end kit even has a drop pitman arm.

For a budget minded lift, I'd say zones 3"($460) or their 4.25" combo($530) if you want to go up to 35's.

Much less cost and more useful, then you have an extra grand to invest in other areas...brakes, steering, armor, front track bar, etc

I did their 4.25" combo on my girls jeep and it rides much better than stock. Just had to add a couple washers to the skid plate.

There are other cost effective options, but bang for the buck, I don't think one will beat the zone lifts. Great springs, decent shocks, and no other unnecessary items or downgraded parts

#20 ·
A Novak tc shifter cable is a great option as well when doing a body lift. Stock linkage connects to the tub and then down to the tc, so any type of change to body and frame seperation causes a conflict. There are adapter plates, but a cable type linkage is what they should have installed from the factory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.