Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Hard to Down Shift into 2nd and 1st (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/hard-to-down-shift-into-2nd-and-1st-64254.html)

YJman 10-05-2010 08:19 PM

Hard to Down Shift into 2nd and 1st
 
Is anyone else's Jeep a bit hard to down shift into 2nd and 1st? I don't really have a problem with it but it does require some muscle and I just wanted to see if this was normal. So does anyone else have the same experience with their YJ?

Thanks,
YJman

mark1305 10-05-2010 09:01 PM

My '89 seems to have a mind of its own about shifting - pretty sure most of the synchros are getting tired.

If I get it just right, it upshifts and downshifts no probs. Either shift too fast or too slow, and it resists going into gear -especially 3rd to 2nd. Or it grinds. Most times, when I feel that resistance that tells me it won't go into the next gear without a fight, I double clutch and about half the time that works. The other half it works but I still get a little gear grinding.

Oddly enough, the transmission passes one of the basic tests: motor running; clutch pedal approx 1/2 inch off the floorboard; shift back and forth between 1st and reverse 3-4 times. No probs.

This Jeep is new to me and my first Jeep. My "starter" Jeep to see how I like them. Good overall condition with many of the usual nickel and dime details to make right from now into Springtime. At that point I'll know whether to really fix it up, trade up for a better Jeep, or trade out for something different. If it turns into a keeper I will freshen up the transmission myself just for the fun of it and so I'll know what shape it's in. (Luckily I have the tools and have been inside a few gearboxes - just not the Jeep models).

Anyway, if you only experience resistance, but no grinding I would look into the status of the clutch actuator. An otherwise good gearbox will resist shifts when the clutch doesn't fully disengage and drags a little. I'd try the test shifting 1st to reverse several times holding the clutch just off the floorboard. Then replace the fluid in the clutch master cylinder and flush the system until fresh fluid comes out the slave bleeder using proper bleeding techniques. Then see where you are at that point.

YJman 10-05-2010 09:41 PM

Sounds good to me. But I have noticed that my clutch engages pretty shortly off the floor. So I do think it needs adjusting. When the weather clears up, I will test your theory. This is my first Jeep too and I'm only 16 so I'm trying to get mine prepped and going good for winter, then I'll finish her off next spring/summer :D

89JEEPYJ 10-05-2010 09:43 PM

maybe your syncros are starting to go, does it ever pop out of gear

dkw 10-06-2010 09:19 AM

check your clutch fluid, top it off, and pump up the clutch. see if that helps.

minigfather 10-06-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkw (Post 804832)
check your clutch fluid, top it off, and pump up the clutch. see if that helps.

Thats what I was gonna suggest as well. Mine was giving me trouble shifting from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. I was low on clutch fluid topped it off and seems good now for about a month.

bobjenkins 10-06-2010 06:01 PM

I dont ever shift into first unless im stopped but as for downshift into second its not too bad, you might have minor problem fluid

YJman 10-06-2010 08:08 PM

Okay I'll have to check the clutch fluid level. Where do I check the fluid level though? I'm not too familiar with the clutch yet. But no my Jeep never pops out of gear.. or hasn't yet lol.

minigfather 10-06-2010 09:13 PM

on the yj the clutch fluid reservoir is on the drivers side near the fire wall. its under the rod that is attached from the grill to fire wall. unofortunately you have to remove the bar to take the cap off the resie.

dkw 10-06-2010 09:49 PM

on my 95 yj i dont have to take anything off to get to my res... i just unscrew the cap, top it off with dot3 brake fluid and pump the clutch until it feels firm and its no problem. i did this almost daily for the first month i owned the jeep due to a bad clutch slave cylinder. replaced it and its been no problem ever since. its easy to find the reservoir though, it says "clutch" right on the cap.

chensley 10-06-2010 10:41 PM

x1000 on the synchros. You'll notice it a lot at slower speeds...kinda feels like your machine is about to rumble apart beneath you.

Razorcat 10-06-2010 11:26 PM

I've got a similar issue with my 94. You really got to pull that stick to get it in 2nd....but only during the first few shifts. After the tranny warms up a bit (or maybe it's just because it got shifted into second a few times) it loosens up and does just fine. I haven't a clue why. Hope it's not a sign of big $$$ in my future.

YJman 10-08-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark1305 (Post 804233)
My '89 seems to have a mind of its own about shifting - pretty sure most of the synchros are getting tired.

If I get it just right, it upshifts and downshifts no probs. Either shift too fast or too slow, and it resists going into gear -especially 3rd to 2nd. Or it grinds. Most times, when I feel that resistance that tells me it won't go into the next gear without a fight, I double clutch and about half the time that works. The other half it works but I still get a little gear grinding.

Oddly enough, the transmission passes one of the basic tests: motor running; clutch pedal approx 1/2 inch off the floorboard; shift back and forth between 1st and reverse 3-4 times. No probs.

This Jeep is new to me and my first Jeep. My "starter" Jeep to see how I like them. Good overall condition with many of the usual nickel and dime details to make right from now into Springtime. At that point I'll know whether to really fix it up, trade up for a better Jeep, or trade out for something different. If it turns into a keeper I will freshen up the transmission myself just for the fun of it and so I'll know what shape it's in. (Luckily I have the tools and have been inside a few gearboxes - just not the Jeep models).

Anyway, if you only experience resistance, but no grinding I would look into the status of the clutch actuator. An otherwise good gearbox will resist shifts when the clutch doesn't fully disengage and drags a little. I'd try the test shifting 1st to reverse several times holding the clutch just off the floorboard. Then replace the fluid in the clutch master cylinder and flush the system until fresh fluid comes out the slave bleeder using proper bleeding techniques. Then see where you are at that point.


Okay everyone, I tried letting the clutch up about and inch (maybe a bit more) and I was able to shift in and out of every gear. I took off the clutch fluid cap and it the fluid wasn't to the very brim but it was high enough to stick my finger into it. So I'm guessing this is full. Should I try replacing the fluid before doing anything else?

mark1305 10-09-2010 02:27 AM

Sounds like your clutch hydraulics are probably good. You may be suffering from the "tired synchros" in the transmission like I am. That's one of those things that you can fix now, or wait until later and practice all the tricks to get smooth shifting in the meantime.

Personally, I plan to nurse mine along by learning what rpms are best for each upshift/downshift, and double-clutching when needed. When that no longer works in terms of decent drivability, then I will overhaul the gearbox.

YJman 10-09-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark1305 (Post 809929)
Sounds like your clutch hydraulics are probably good. You may be suffering from the "tired synchros" in the transmission like I am. That's one of those things that you can fix now, or wait until later and practice all the tricks to get smooth shifting in the meantime.

Personally, I plan to nurse mine along by learning what rpms are best for each upshift/downshift, and double-clutching when needed. When that no longer works in terms of decent drivability, then I will overhaul the gearbox.

Considering the fact that I don't know what syncros are or where to find them because I'm only 16...this sounds really bad to me lol. Is replacing the syncros a big job? Is it professional work? I've got a mechanic right here in town and he's a great guy. My dads known him for a long time so I'm sure he could help me out with installing new ones or whatever has to be done.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.