Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   4.0l Or Cummins 4BT Swap? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/4-0l-or-cummins-4bt-swap-64386.html)

97'wrangler 10-06-2010 08:17 PM

4.0l Or Cummins 4BT Swap?

Ok, So heres the story, i am wanting to get rid of my 2.5l 4 banger and put in a bigger stronger engine, but i would like to keep my TJ. where i live there are not a lot of Cummins 4BT engines, or even 6BT diesels around in CT. So i was planning on finding a wrecked TJ and take the trans and and Maybe the T-case and what ever else i may need for the swap. My Question, DO you think i should just put in a 4.0 or stick with my original plan on putting a 4BT?:banghead: Which is easier?
Also could anyone post a parts list for me? :confused:
Thanks in advance and i would love to hear your thoughts and/or advice!

OBM 10-06-2010 08:48 PM

The 4.0 swap is definately more cost efective but myself being a retired heavy equipment mechanic I would use the 4bta, that's just me. The cummins swap is much more expensive and time consuming trying to figure which adapters to use etc but it would be more rewarding. Google the jeep cummins swap and you will learn alot and you can decide from there if it's what you want to do.

Marsmonkey12 10-06-2010 08:51 PM

There's already a thread on that. Try searching for it.

cummins5552 10-07-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97'wrangler (Post 805843)
Ok, So heres the story, i am wanting to get rid of my 2.5l 4 banger and put in a bigger stronger engine, but i would like to keep my TJ. where i live there are not a lot of Cummins 4BT engines, or even 6BT diesels around in CT. So i was planning on finding a wrecked TJ and take the trans and and Maybe the T-case and what ever else i may need for the swap. My Question, DO you think i should just put in a 4.0 or stick with my original plan on putting a 4BT?:banghead: Which is easier?
Also could anyone post a parts list for me? :confused:
Thanks in advance and i would love to hear your thoughts and/or advice!

look at my thread, i posted numbers of what you will need to adapt trans to engine if you do it the way i did

97'wrangler 10-07-2010 09:26 PM

Oh ya I have been following your thread alright. It's just finding the engine Is the problem. Around here in CT all of the Stephens have bigger engines and there's none on craigslist.
What transmission did you go with? The ax5 won't work right?

cummins5552 10-08-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97'wrangler (Post 807897)
Oh ya I have been following your thread alright. It's just finding the engine Is the problem. Around here in CT all of the Stephens have bigger engines and there's none on craigslist.
What transmission did you go with? The ax5 won't work right?

there are afew on ebay, a guy in ohio always has them on there but, shipping is high. im using the ax15. if i were you id get the ax15 or nv3550.....unless your really wanting to go big. ive not had any problems but, i havent tried doing burnouts. i wouldnt use the ax5

distortedtj 10-08-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsmonkey12 (Post 805932)
There's already a thread on that. Try searching for it.

Yes...but he is still free to ask here regardless, without having to worry about other members telling him to "search". Simply telling members to just "search" is not something we do here on WF. :)

97'wrangler 10-08-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cummins5552
there are afew on ebay, a guy in ohio always has them on there but, shipping is high. im using the ax15. if i were you id get the ax15 or nv3550.....unless your really wanting to go big. ive not had any problems but, i havent tried doing burnouts. i wouldnt use the ax5

Well if there is a guy in Ohio I w
Could make my way over there sometime to pick one up if it is in good shape and priced right. What is a good price for a cummins?
Now this brings me to another question, is the 4bt swap a better suited swap? Meaning will I need more or less other parts for he swap compare to a 4.0l? Will I need to buy a new front and rear driveline?

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj

Yes...but he is still free to ask here regardless, without having to worry about other members telling him to "search". Simply telling members to just "search" is not something we do here on WF. :)

:) this is why I love this forum!!

cummins5552 10-08-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97'wrangler (Post 808502)
Could make my way over there sometime to pick one up if it is in good shape and priced right. What is a good price for a cummins?
Now this brings me to another question, is the 4bt swap a better suited swap? Meaning will I need more or less other parts for he swap compare to a 4.0l? Will I need to buy a new front and rear driveline?

To be honest with you these diesel engines wont be getting cheaper anytime soon, there are to many people wanting them. 1500-2000 is the goin price for a ve pumped engine.

cummins5552 10-08-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97'wrangler (Post 808502)

The 4.0 will be cheaper and an easier swap.....its all in what you really want

Ggg 10-08-2010 03:23 PM

I too have a TJ/4bt, there is a cut/paste link in my jeep profile to my build thread.
First things first though, 97'wrangler does CT or where you live have emission testing gas or diesel. If your TJ is going to be street legal this may pose an insurmountable obstacle, like is the case in MA, CA, and some other states where a non stock engine or older engine will not get emission certified.

97'wrangler 10-09-2010 10:13 PM

Are the yj 4.0l different from the tj's?

Ggg 10-10-2010 12:53 AM

Depends on the year as far as how different. Also depends on if you are talking complete engine, long block, short block. Wiring harness will be different for sure.