Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JK vs Liberty (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-vs-liberty-64442.html)

goldenfalcon 10-07-2010 09:16 AM

JK vs Liberty

I would like to know what makes the JK (non Rubicon) “better off road” then the Liberty. Or are they almost the same?

Mr. Sinister 10-07-2010 09:32 AM

seriously? they're not even in the same universe.
ground clearance, solid axles, small wheelbase, a real frame, real off road suspension, better suspension articulation, better gearing options, an interior that can get wet and not fry itself, better approach and departure angles, huge aftermarket..........

Weham 10-07-2010 09:41 AM

I actually have both. The Liberty is definitely a family grocery getter that can go on a trail every now and then. The JK craves the dirt and rocks.

InfernoGirl 10-07-2010 09:42 AM

:D I saw a Liberty on the gravel road going to the trails last weekend.... I'm pretty sure that's as far as he could go..... :D

Kate 10-07-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 806706)
ground clearance, solid axles, small wheelbase, a real frame, real off road suspension, better suspension articulation, better gearing options, an interior that can get wet and not fry itself, better approach and departure angles, huge aftermarket..........

Ditto X 100,000,000,000,000,000,000!

I custom ordered an 05 Liberty Limited so I'd have something to carry my little grandson in.
It was LOADED.
Had that bish for 6 months and could not lose it fast enough.
Took a horrible hit on it when I traded it back in and did NOT care.

The KJ (Liberty) has other issues too.
Things like, the interior is not comfortable. The seats are great but the arm rests are too low or in the wrong location, steering wheel too far forward, when you roll the front windows down the back ones go "wooba wooba wooba" so hard it makes your ear drums vibrate. The interior controls are all jacked up, the power window controls are all in the wrong places and on and on...

To make a KJ truly off road capable, you're going to spend upwards towards $15k and it STILL won't come close to doing what a JK Rubi will with a budget boost on 37's. .

Yea, I lost money on that deal, and I was happy to do it.

goldenfalcon 10-07-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 806706)

Oh yes I,m serious :D

What the deference between a solid axels and Independent Sort Long Arm? The front suspension of the Hummer is Independent and the liberty has both.

You said wheelbase. The wheelbase for the Liberty = 106 In. and JK 2 dr = 95.4 BUT 4dr = 116 in.

The t-case for the Liberty = 2.72 like mine and the crawl ratio for an automatic Liberty and JK = 28. For me, they look almost the same.

And I,m not talking about the Rubi.

No offence but I just want to have a good arguments cause my friend bought a Liberty 2 weeks ago and he's comparing My JK with His Liberty

Thank

Kate 10-07-2010 10:12 AM

Obviously you want the Liberty, so go and get one, and take it wheelin!

aelwero 10-07-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 806730)
when you roll the front windows down the back ones go "wooba wooba wooba" so hard it makes your ear drums vibrate.

:rofl:

My JK does that when the roof is off and my wife rolls up the windows :rolleyes:... I thought it was a factory installed warning buzzer type thing of some sort, like when you don't put on your seatbelt... ;)

InfernoGirl 10-07-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero (Post 806806)
:rofl:

My JK does that when the roof is off and my wife rolls up the windows :rolleyes:... I thought it was a factory installed warning buzzer type thing of some sort, like when you don't put on your seatbelt... ;)

:rofl: If you take off the doors she can't do that... :)

Mr. Sinister 10-07-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenfalcon (Post 806786)
Oh yes I,m serious :D

What the deference between a solid axels and Independent Sort Long Arm? The front suspension of the Hummer is Independent and the liberty has both.

well there's your answer, the hummer has it. lmfao. smack a half shaft on a rock just once and you see one of the many reasons solid axles are better on the trails unless you spend big bucks. solid axles are stronger and allow for much greater travel, but independent IS smoother

You said wheelbase. The wheelbase for the Liberty = 106 In. and JK 2 dr = 95.4 BUT 4dr = 116 in.

well, are you talking about 2 door or 4 door? i like the 4 doors, but a "jeep" in my mind conjures pictures of the traditional 2 door.

The t-case for the Liberty = 2.72 like mine and the crawl ratio for an automatic Liberty and JK = 28. For me, they look almost the same.

how about axle gear ratios available on the liberty? can you even get aftermarket gears for the liberty?

No offence but I just want to have a good arguments cause my friend bought a Liberty 2 weeks ago and he's comparing My JK with His Liberty

none taken!! there's no comparison. ask your friend to go trail riding with you. bring some straps or chains, he's going to need them.
Thank

:)

Kate 10-07-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 806818)

http://www.manysmileys.com/files/S/l...VV11973041.gif

Bubba68CS 10-07-2010 10:54 AM

The Hummer, REAL Hummer as in military Hummer, uses portal axles with its independent setup (along with carefully designed control arms) to increase ground clearance. Independent setups also do not allow the differential to rise when one tire goes over an obstacle...so your lowest point stays low at all times. Thats aside from strength issues.

My parents have an 03 Liberty. For a road going SUV, its pretty capable. In comparison to a Wrangler, its not. I, personally, don't like much about the thing...don't like the way it rides, sounds, feels...

As for your friend...do this:

Quote:

ask your friend to go trail riding with you. bring some straps or chains, he's going to need them.

And take your top and doors off...just to rub it in ;)

clear lake jeepn 10-07-2010 11:02 AM

Is this thread a joke??

Kate 10-07-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clear lake jeepn (Post 806874)
Is this thread a joke??

It has to be. :rolleyes:

jgorm 10-07-2010 11:10 AM

swap in coil overs and a real axle and it should be good.
http://www.4-the-love-of-jeeps.com/i...y-21154901.jpg

QtMcShorty 10-07-2010 11:20 AM

Has to be a joke!!!
Since he says he is a JK owner, and he is a GUY, he should know what the difference is between his JK and a Liberty.....hell dude, I am a GIRL who is 5 months into owning my JEEP and I even know what the difference is between my JKU vs. Liberty, Cherokee, H2, H3, and the FJ.............

(Don't mind me, I am trying to grow a mustache and it's coming it like catfish wiskers)

aelwero 10-07-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 806818)

I can usually get away with no front doors, but the backs have to go on when I haul kids anywhere (and anytime I pick my keys up the kids all run for the Jeep), so it's one of those "non-negotiables" for her, and I really can't argue (much...).

phottomatt 10-07-2010 11:37 AM

And make sure his AAA is paid up
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

goldenfalcon 10-07-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 806823)
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 806882)
It has to be. :rolleyes:

OH I'M sorry! Maybe it's clear for you but it's not for me.

I didn't compare the Wrangler with the Patriot or the Compass.
but for me, the Liberty could be close to the Wrangler Sport and Sahara (Stock). I know the Rubi is superior with his: Locking diff. , sway bar, Dana 44 Rear AND front. But what I don't know is, why the JK Sport and Sahara (STOCK)are better Off road then the Liberty (STOCK). I don't care about the look or the interior I care about the Off Road

goldenfalcon 10-07-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtMcShorty (Post 806904)
Has to be a joke!!!
Since he says he is a JK owner, and he is a GUY, he should know what the difference is between his JK and a Liberty.....hell dude, I am a GIRL who is 5 months into owning my JEEP and I even know what the difference is between my JKU vs. Liberty, Cherokee, H2, H3, and the FJ.............

(Don't mind me, I am trying to grow a mustache and it's coming it like catfish wiskers)

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!! But you didn't explain it. :firedevil:

BBoileau09 10-07-2010 11:50 AM

well i have a TJ not JK but my friend has a 05 liberty the difference is.... Ive gotten stuck one time and i have gone down pretty much every trail around my house which includes 2 ORV parks and a National forest, she has gotten stuck 3 times on dirt roads in a liberty. When Jeep made the liberty they were thinking of a jeep that 16 year old girls like

QtMcShorty 10-07-2010 11:51 AM

<---------Can't entertain this thread anymore..........lol

Good Luck Golden Falcon in finding the answers to your questions.........

6InARowMakesItGo 10-07-2010 11:51 AM

i still think its a joke. somone who really wanted to know that answer wouldnt come on a forum and ask it. they'd do the research.

Mr. Sinister 10-07-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenfalcon (Post 806932)
OH I'M sorry! Maybe it's clear for you but it's not for me.

I didn't compare the Wrangler with the Patriot or the Compass.
but for me, the Liberty could be close to the Wrangler Sport and Sahara (Stock). I know the Rubi is superior with his: Locking diff. , sway bar, Dana 44 Rear AND front. But what I don't know is, why the JK Sport and Sahara (STOCK)are better Off road then the Liberty (STOCK). I don't care about the look or the interior I care about the Off Road

um, i just explained it to you. look at the red text in your quote on my last post. i made it red so it would stand out.

goldenfalcon 10-07-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 806978)
um, i just explained it to you. look at the red text in your quote on my last post. i made it red so it would stand out.

Thank you very much it's more clear now. Thank you for your time too.

phottomatt 10-07-2010 12:14 PM

OK, there are a lot of differences, suspension/axles, gearing/tranny, body design, interior, all of which are highly modifiable and specifically designed for the trail. The Liberty is not, even though it says "trail rated", it is a capable vehicle but nothing like the Wrangler. If you want the specs go to jeep.com and print out the 100+ differences that are listed on the window stickers.

Droelle 10-07-2010 12:16 PM

Hey this asked a serious question here. We were all new at one point. Me I was never really a fan of Jeeps. I liked them but never really wanted one. Then I test drove it (mind you its just a sport) and fell in love went home did a little research, saw the after market world for wranglers, saw what people did to there rides and the next day it was mine! Every dead gum day I think about something want to do to it. Maybe because I've only had it for 3 months but to be honest I think more about my Jeep then I do sex now. Lol and I'm only 23.

Lithium Lotus 10-07-2010 12:22 PM

Show him this sticker

All Things Jeep - "You can follow me…But it's gonna hurt" White Decal (2 Sizes)

Comparing a Liberty to a Wrangler is like comparing a Cavalier to a Corvette. Sure, they are both made by the same company, but two very different vehicles when it comes to performance.

nick50471 10-07-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droelle (Post 807006)
Hey this asked a serious question here. We were all new at one point. Me I was never really a fan of Jeeps. I liked them but never really wanted one. Then I test drove it (mind you its just a sport) and fell in love went home did a little research, saw the after market world for wranglers, saw what people did to there rides and the next day it was mine! Every dead gum day I think about something want to do to it. Maybe because I've only had it for 3 months but to be honest I think more about my Jeep then I do sex now. Lol and I'm only 23.

You do have a problem and should see someone about it. Maybe try CL.

Droelle 10-07-2010 12:30 PM

Quote unquote from my wife, "its about time I've got some relief."