Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Freedom Top Air Flow (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/freedom-top-air-flow-644553.html)

Max42 04-14-2014 06:22 AM

Freedom Top Air Flow

I have a 2013 2D Wrangler with freedom top. I'm wondering how other may have solved some of the air flow issues. Specifically, when I remove the freedom tops, roll down the driver and passenger windows, and drive at highway speeds, there is so much airflow into the cab that you cannot talk or listen to music. Please...no lectures on "it's a jeep" :-)

Also, A huge amount of air flows between the driver and passenger roll bars and the door. I think the soft top option includes a door kit that closes off the gap between the door and roll bar, not positive. Air flow could also be better if there was a way to open the rear window to allow the air to pass through but you cannot drive that way without damaging the window or hard top.

Has anyone found any good options to solve the air flow and related noise issues?

jadmt 04-14-2014 06:27 AM

seems like a person could make an air deflector and mount to the header but hey it is a jeep after all lol.

gixxerphil 04-14-2014 06:40 AM

Just leave the top on, that's probably the only way to keep air from coming inside a convertible top

Just make sure you line the freedom panels up correctly, or you'll have a leak:thumb:

Txrdstr 04-14-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max42 (Post 9858313)
I have a 2013 2D Wrangler with freedom top. I'm wondering how other may have solved some of the air flow issues. Specifically, when I remove the freedom tops, roll down the driver and passenger windows, and drive at highway speeds, there is so much airflow into the cab that you cannot talk or listen to music. Please...no lectures on "it's a jeep" :-) Also, A huge amount of air flows between the driver and passenger roll bars and the door. I think the soft top option includes a door kit that closes off the gap between the door and roll bar, not positive. Air flow could also be better if there was a way to open the rear window to allow the air to pass through but you cannot drive that way without damaging the window or hard top. Has anyone found any good options to solve the air flow and related noise issues?

really?

mackdj1 04-14-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil (Post 9858577)
Just leave the top on, that's probably the only way to keep air from coming inside a convertible top

Could you explain this more to me please? If take my doors completely off would that help? this way the air can escape faster right?

gixxerphil 04-14-2014 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackdj1 (Post 9858657)
Could you explain this more to me please?

No :D

Max42 04-14-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txrdstr (Post 9858641)
really?

really??

Bourget117 04-14-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

I have a 2013 2D Wrangler with freedom top. I'm wondering how other may have solved some of the air flow issues. Specifically, when I remove the freedom tops, roll down the driver and passenger windows, and drive at highway speeds, there is so much airflow into the cab that you cannot talk or listen to music. Please...no lectures on "it's a jeep" :-)

Also, A huge amount of air flows between the driver and passenger roll bars and the door. I think the soft top option includes a door kit that closes off the gap between the door and roll bar, not positive. Air flow could also be better if there was a way to open the rear window to allow the air to pass through but you cannot drive that way without damaging the window or hard top.

Has anyone found any good options to solve the air flow and related noise issues?

I have a 2012 jku with soft top and freedom top. I don't have any air flow issues with either top down. I can hear the stock radio perfectly fine, and have a conversation at the same time. All on the highway at 55-75mph and I never take the doors off. Maybe you want to get your looked at the dealer?

dkw0417 04-14-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

I understand what you are talking about but don't know how to solve it for you. I think you are correct that opening the back Window in some manner would resolve the issue by creating a cleaner air flow. Those of us with JKU's don't notice it as much because lowering the back door widows moves the turbulence to the back seat.

Bull Gator 04-14-2014 10:19 AM

Run with the back glass up? I don't know about at highway speeds but I've had to do it on my jku a few times and at 55 mph it worked fine.

KC_Hawker 04-14-2014 10:33 AM

the biggest problem I have with airflow on mine is how the air bounces off the back of the window frame and is directed right at my ear. Moving my seat forward (where it is next to impossible to drive) or leaning forward cuts the noise in half. The noise is cut a lot with the doors off and almost completely with the rear top off (compared to my old setup)

Having driven 2 jks, one with a soft top, one with a hard top, full doors and half doors, this is where I would say most of the wind noise comes from. With the soft top in the sunrider position and the uppers out I didnt have much noise come over the windshield.

Try messing with your window / seat relationship to see if it helps. Or just try it with the doors off :)

Y-Guy 04-14-2014 10:58 AM

Have you flipped the visors up? Unlock them, then slide them out toward the center of the Jeep and rotate them up.

Consider getting a SpiderWeb Shade, you can leave it on under the hard top, it does a great job cutting down the air flow some but without being like a hard top.

st0rmtr00per 04-14-2014 11:12 AM

you should just sell your jeep if your worried about airflow. Im sorry but this just seems silly. If your not happy with your new jeep. Go drive a tj around for a day. then get back in your jk. It will feel like a bmw in comparison.

CactusPants 04-14-2014 11:24 AM

Perhaps you should consider a full motorcycle helmet

mackdj1 04-14-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CactusPants (Post 9864489)
Perhaps you should consider a full motorcycle helmet

With an audio plug in perhaps...

KC_Hawker 04-14-2014 01:15 PM

You know, maybe the OP does have a valid point, being snarky about it doesn't help solve his issue.

My last vehicle (before my Jeeps) was a RAM pickup. I loved the Hemi and got a set of duals on it. On long trips the noise ended up giving me a headache. One day I was talking to a friend and they named it droning - it happens with a cheap Dual setup. A quality setup fixed all my issues keeping the loud sound of the exhaust without the "drone" from the harmonics. Did that make me a fool for having dual exhaust or simply ignorant and not knowing the difference between quality and crap.

My 10 Rubi was LOUD on the highway. Not only the wind, but road noise. Whine of tires or passing a semi was like not even having a top or door uppers on at all. Bought it used so I don't know if it was the original top (I am sure the uppers were) When I traded it in, one of the complaints from the dealer was exactly how loud it was and that was just driving from where I parked to the exam bay - this was from a JEEP dealer (2 differing people complained about the noise from the tires).

Like I said above - mine is incredibly loud based on where I sit in relation to the back of the window. For comparison, if you have a 4 door, drop the rear window a bit and see the difference. Minor adjustments like this may be night and day for some drivers.

Me myself, I might add those window deflectors to see if that helps. I like windows down 90% of the time even if it means heat on doing it (same with top down) but I also like to be able to hear the radio without the roar of a wind tunnel directed specifically at my ear.

mackdj1 04-14-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Hawker (Post 9867985)
You know, maybe the OP does have a valid point, being snarky about it doesn't help solve his issue.

My last vehicle (before my Jeeps) was a RAM pickup. I loved the Hemi and got a set of duals on it. On long trips the noise ended up giving me a headache. One day I was talking to a friend and they named it droning - it happens with a cheap Dual setup. A quality setup fixed all my issues keeping the loud sound of the exhaust without the "drone" from the harmonics. Did that make me a fool for having dual exhaust or simply ignorant and not knowing the difference between quality and crap.

My 10 Rubi was LOUD on the highway. Not only the wind, but road noise. Whine of tires or passing a semi was like not even having a top or door uppers on at all. Bought it used so I don't know if it was the original top (I am sure the uppers were) When I traded it in, one of the complaints from the dealer was exactly how loud it was and that was just driving from where I parked to the exam bay - this was from a JEEP dealer (2 differing people complained about the noise from the tires).

Like I said above - mine is incredibly loud based on where I sit in relation to the back of the window. For comparison, if you have a 4 door, drop the rear window a bit and see the difference. Minor adjustments like this may be night and day for some drivers.

Me myself, I might add those window deflectors to see if that helps. I like windows down 90% of the time even if it means heat on doing it (same with top down) but I also like to be able to hear the radio without the roar of a wind tunnel directed specifically at my ear.

Most of this is just good natured poking fun. As for the exhuast...yes a better exhaust properly installed can reduce interior droning...but removing your roof and exposing yourself to 60 or more mph winds rushing past you is entirely different.

Max42 04-14-2014 01:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, though doesn't sound like a solution has been found. I do have a spiderweb shade and it's great except that air gets forced around it, such as between the top of the door and the roll bar. I'll try the sun visors again but they don't raise up high enough to deflect much air, but I didn't try to turn them to the side and extend them.

Hopefully this issue isn't sounding too wimpy, (I know it's a jeep and to expect more noise) my issue is mostly that due to the amount of airflow and noise from it you cannot talk to the person next to you, or get the radio loud enough.

I have taken the hard top off once and it was great, if it were easier to do by myself I may do it more often, though weather is an important factor. I haven't tried the doors off.

Driving with the rear window open is not safe as the hard top is not structurally strong enough to withstand much vibration before it breaks at the hinges. (now if there was only an aftermarket bracket that would hold the window partially open but not allow any bounce....)

jadmt 04-14-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max42 (Post 9868745)
Thanks for the suggestions, though doesn't sound like a solution has been found. I do have a spiderweb shade and it's great except that air gets forced around it, such as between the top of the door and the roll bar. I'll try the sun visors again but they don't raise up high enough to deflect much air, but I didn't try to turn them to the side and extend them.

Hopefully this issue isn't sounding too wimpy, (I know it's a jeep and to expect more noise) my issue is mostly that due to the amount of airflow and noise from it you cannot talk to the person next to you, or get the radio loud enough.

I have taken the hard top off once and it was great, if it were easier to do by myself I may do it more often, though weather is an important factor. I haven't tried the doors off.

Driving with the rear window open is not safe as the hard top is not structurally strong enough to withstand much vibration before it breaks at the hinges. (now if there was only an aftermarket bracket that would hold the window partially open but not allow any bounce....)

Perhaps you could remove the window and see if that makes a difference if it does then quick apply for a patent for a quick release rear window hmmm:beerdrinking:

st0rmtr00per 04-15-2014 06:11 AM

So let me get this straight.. you have really bad wind noise with your windows up and top on? or just when you start to remove things and role your windows down.. Have you taken a jeep at the dealer for a test drive to compare the noise levels. I have a soft top. the thing is louddd. But its really just a jeep. Soft top, all removable doors, brick in the wind. I think its just a case of the you might be expecting to much sound control from the jeep.......Now unless i am misunderstanding you.. Is the wind rushing in your jeep with the windows up and top on? like you have leaks everywhere? or your missing parts of your top?

sparky 04-15-2014 09:22 AM

I had a Crossfire convertible and with the top down it was incredibly quite, however it was designed that way.

The Jeep is not. Freedom panels off and windows down, you have a clam shell behind you and a flat window in front. None of that is good for smooth airflow. Itís going to be windy and noisy.

Aerodynamics are not part of Jeep design. Highway cruising is not a Jeepís strong point.

jeb0505 04-15-2014 09:25 AM

Hard to escape wind noise when you remove half of your roof... Have you tried running with your windows up?

Max42 04-15-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st0rmtr00per (Post 9884642)
So let me get this straight.. you have really bad wind noise with your windows up and top on? or just when you start to remove things and role your windows down.. Have you taken a jeep at the dealer for a test drive to compare the noise levels. I have a soft top. the thing is louddd. But its really just a jeep. Soft top, all removable doors, brick in the wind. I think its just a case of the you might be expecting to much sound control from the jeep.......Now unless i am misunderstanding you.. Is the wind rushing in your jeep with the windows up and top on? like you have leaks everywhere? or your missing parts of your top?

The noise is with freedom tops off and windows down.

Max42 04-15-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeb0505 (Post 9888410)
Hard to escape wind noise when you remove half of your roof... Have you tried running with your windows up?

The noise is only mildly better with the windows up.

jeb0505 04-15-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max42 (Post 9892434)
The noise is only mildly better with the windows up.

What is it like when you take the full top off? Better?

Max42 04-15-2014 12:15 PM

The goal in my post was to see if others may have found any creative ways to deal with the wind and noise, doesn't seem that there are any real solutions.

Thanks anyway.

Max42 04-15-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeb0505 (Post 9892482)
What is it like when you take the full top off? Better?

I took the top off once, it was great, nice airflow and none of the noise. It's just not convienient to find another person to help take the top off (and then back on), not to mention weather concerns.

nealwiley 04-15-2014 12:24 PM

Open your back glass, I do it allot at highway speeds and no problems!

panthermark 04-15-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 9869169)
[/COLOR]

Perhaps you could remove the window and see if that makes a difference if it does then quick apply for a patent for a quick release rear window hmmm:beerdrinking:

While this post looks to be half joking....the other half is serious.

For real....make a quick (and secure) release for the rear window in you will be a rich man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 9888298)
I had a Crossfire convertible and with the top down it was incredibly quite, however it was designed that way.

The Jeep is not. Freedom panels off and windows down, you have a clam shell behind you and a flat window in front. None of that is good for smooth airflow. Itís going to be windy and noisy.

Aerodynamics are not part of Jeep design. Highway cruising is not a Jeepís strong point.

^This...

OP, you may be out of luck (being that you already have a Spiderwebshade). It is a brick on wheels...so it will have a lot of turbulence.

flyfishnevada 04-15-2014 12:48 PM

I've had my freedom tops off at highways speeds but with the windows up. Not too loud, I could listen to the stereo and have a conversation. Air flow was minimal. I was actually surprised at how little air came in to the cab. I'll have to try it with the windows down. Other than putting them back on at highway speeds, something that takes a few minutes, try a mesh sun shade. That might moderate the airflow somewhat.