Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Mickey Thompson Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/mickey-thompson-wheels-64575.html)

rrlaughton 10-08-2010 02:32 PM

Mickey Thompson Wheels

2 Attachment(s)
I need help. These are Mickey Thompson Wheels that i have on my Jeep Wrangler and does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring back the shine to them? I have tried taking them off and buffing them but nothing seems to bring back the shine. Any suggestions?

cru9 10-08-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrlaughton
I need help. These are Mickey Thompson Wheels that i have on my Jeep Wrangler and does anyone have any suggestions on how to bring back the shine to them? I have tried taking them off and buffing them but nothing seems to bring back the shine. Any suggestions?

Sell them, paint them black. I have procomp wheels like that and buff them every few weeks. It is a pain in my back side. I am thinking about painting mine.

Ibuildembig 10-08-2010 02:45 PM

screw that if you want black wheels buy some....

All you need to do is get some aluminum acid, hit um with that twice and order you some Buschs' super shine polish. They will look new in about 15 minutes, and if you seal them it will last up to a year

clear lake jeepn 10-08-2010 03:13 PM

neverdull wadding

clear lake jeepn 10-08-2010 03:14 PM

you know why mother's is called mother's? Its a real mother F'er..pack a lunch!

Atthehop 10-08-2010 04:10 PM

Polish them with Flitz Aluminum cleaner/polish.

Flitz Metal, Plastic, & Fiberglass Polish

Ibuildembig 10-08-2010 04:20 PM

I'm telling yall, nothing is better than Buschs' :)

Those appear to be real MT wheels, not the classic II crap they make now. Those are made by Alcoa and will shine up like a diamond in a goats behind if you do it right.

InfernoGirl 10-08-2010 05:11 PM

I think it's time to road trip to MO to see Ibuildem..... let him do it. Or as has been mentioned before here, find a big truck stop and have them shine and seal them, then, keep up with them... Polished wheels are beautiful, but beauty has a price... ;)

rrlaughton 10-08-2010 05:43 PM

I dont want to paint them black and yes they are real MK wheels. We have tried taking the tire off the jeep and using mothers with an electric buffer and it helps but doesnt clean them completely. I will try Busch's. Thanks for advice

ajorosa 10-08-2010 06:27 PM

Paint them black :.)

Ibuildembig 10-08-2010 08:08 PM

I have a video on here somewhere that shows me polishing an Alcoa with buschs on a wheel that had never been polished, just sprayed with acid for 15 years. In less than 5 minutes it shines like a mofo :)

Tj Timmy 10-08-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clear lake jeepn
neverdull wadding

^^^ I agree with this guy. I've always had good luck with neverdull, just a little work and a good microfiber towle to wipe the residue off when done.

Ibuildembig 10-08-2010 11:53 PM

I've had sets of weld and alcoa wheels for 20 years and have tried pretty much everything out there from mothers, eagle one, neverdull, Xtreme, Magic Mix, jewlers rouge, and even homebrew creations....nothing touchs Buschs' polish as far as speed, shine, durability, and residue wipe off.

InfernoGirl 10-09-2010 01:19 AM

I'd definitely give the Busch's a try, polishing wheels is a pain, if anyone finds something that works well and quickly, it'd be an awesome thing....... :) Never dull and Mothers and all the rest require quite a bit of commitment to polishing.....(how do I know this?)

cavediverjc 10-09-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 809832)
I've had sets of weld and alcoa wheels for 20 years and have tried pretty much everything out there from mothers, eagle one, neverdull, Xtreme, Magic Mix, jewlers rouge, and even homebrew creations....nothing touchs Buschs' polish as far as speed, shine, durability, and residue wipe off.

Where would a guy find aluminum acid and Busch's Super Shine polish? Would VatoZone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc. have them? My wheels look like crap. I'm getting Eaton Beadlocks this winter, but I want to sell my Eagle Alloys to offset the cost of the Eatons. I figure I'll shine them up before selling them to get more $$$$......

arcweldr76 10-09-2010 12:31 PM

All great advice. When I first got my 04 a few months back the stock rims had alot of trail scars that bugged me. I found that the mild abrasive turtle wax and mothers wheel polish worked wonders. Remove rim, clean w/ soapy water, put the wheel at waist level, turtle wax compound first then mothers and BAM ! Brand new rim... Didn't really take all that long and it was a great improvement.

rrlaughton 10-09-2010 12:47 PM

If someone knows where to purchase Alumimum Acid please let me know. also is Buschs sold in any Auto Parts stores?

ajorosa 10-09-2010 12:56 PM

Turkey has plenty flowing in their river.

T2000J 10-09-2010 12:58 PM

Blue magic polish I use it on my bike , chevy wheeles . It works great now being there bad it's going to take some time to get them like a mirror .
nev dul scrachs I used to be real anle over my crome when I was youger ..
A polish kit is nice to have too has many differnt wheeles to get into tight spots use a high speed drill or something with high rpm's take your time they will look better than new ....

Now the bad I dont like crome on jeeps dont look right so I'm with some of theese guy's but I'd get them powder coated not painted

rrlaughton 10-09-2010 01:01 PM

I may have to get new ones or find a good wheel person to powder coat. I may go black. I just like shine but havent seen shine on them much in a year.

InfernoGirl 10-09-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T2000J (Post 810276)
Blue magic polish I use it on my bike , chevy wheeles . It works great now being there bad it's going to take some time to get them like a mirror .
nev dul scrachs I used to be real anle over my crome when I was youger ..
A polish kit is nice to have too has many differnt wheeles to get into tight spots use a high speed drill or something with high rpm's take your time they will look better than new ....

Now the bad I dont like crome on jeeps dont look right so I'm with some of theese guy's but I'd get them powder coated not painted

You do know that chrome and polished aluminum are two entirely different things, right? Most chrome polish won't do anything on aluminum..... and most aluminum polishes are too strong for chrome.

T2000J 10-09-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 810321)
You do know that chrome and polished aluminum are two entirely different things, right? Most chrome polish won't do anything on aluminum..... and most aluminum polishes are too strong for chrome.

yep sure do made my aluminum wheeles on my charger look like chrome it's all on what you want . work at a custom shop for a few years lot of tricks out there . :wavey:
and most polish out today are for both but thanks for the info

rrlaughton 10-11-2010 11:30 AM

Mickey Thompson Wheels

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so i used almost an entire can of mothers to polish the wheels and then came back and put Wheel Wax (got at Discount Tire) to seal them and they look much better . Still has some cloudy spots. Lets see how long they look good

Ibuildembig 10-11-2010 11:36 AM

Here's the difference between stuff you get at auto parts houses, and the stuff made for wheels

Wheel on the left is raw after spraying it with acid, one on the right was done with Buschs' polish in less than 5 minutes using a dot of polish the size of a half dollar for the whole wheel.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...g/DSCF0538.jpg

InfernoGirl 10-11-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrlaughton (Post 813451)
Ok so i used almost an entire can of mothers to polish the wheels and then came back and put Wheel Wax (got at Discount Tire) to seal them and they look much better . Still has some cloudy spots. Lets see how long they look good

Any decent wax will work, but only as long as it's on the wheel. Keep a good coat of wax or sealant on them if you want to keep them looking good. Wax will last anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on usage and elements and type wax.

cavediverjc 10-11-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 813458)
Here's the difference between stuff you get at auto parts houses, and the stuff made for wheels

Wheel on the left is raw after spraying it with acid, one on the right was done with Buschs' polish in less than 5 minutes using a dot of polish the size of a half dollar for the whole wheel.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...g/DSCF0538.jpg

Where are you getting the aluminum acid? I'm wanting to shine my wheels before I sell them.

Ibuildembig 10-11-2010 01:48 PM

Doya have a Napa vendor near ya? Its called Alumibrite, comes in a gallon jug and you cut it half with water

cavediverjc 10-11-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 813752)
Doya have a Napa vendor near ya? Its called Alumibrite, comes in a gallon jug and you cut it half with water

Cool, thanks. I'll go get some later this week. :D

Ibuildembig 10-11-2010 02:16 PM

No prob, hope it works for ya

cavediverjc 10-11-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 813822)
No prob, hope it works for ya

It's going to be a snow-day project this winter. Hopefully by doing this, I can sell my current wheels for more $$ to offset the cost of the new ones.....

Or maybe I'll keep my current wheels for use on another project........hmmmmm....... :D