Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Any Advice? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/any-advice-64664.html)

Nightly 10-09-2010 02:09 PM

Any Advice?

So, I recently bought a '91 Jeep Wrangler Sahara about two months ago and don't have a lot of money, currently...

It has a 2.5in lift, 31 tires, hard top. I'll get some pictures up later...
What should I check for, I am the 3rd owner and new to 'Jeeping'. I know the first owner put a lot of effort into it (herculined, cut out the front fenders (why?), and probably more...) so what should I look for?

Currently I am thinking about cleaning up and painting a hi lift of my dads he gave me, but I don't know how I can mount it... I'd like to mount it inside over the wheels or somewhere on the back, any advice?

Can anyone recommend some cheap modifications that I should get?

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Yjwolf 10-09-2010 03:16 PM

What u wanting to know? Possible problems or mods

Nightly 10-09-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yjwolf (Post 810424)
What u wanting to know? Possible problems or mods

Both. If there are little things I can do on a budget that will improve the performance, protect it for the future, or any other things you can recommend.

The biggest thing is that I don't know what has been done to it and how to find out.

Yjwolf 10-09-2010 03:41 PM

Check for any leaks( motor differentials trans etc) grease all joints. Check all fluids. Change if nessisary.
Mods on a budget.... Hummm. Not real sure. I changed the muffler and intake and got a few more horses out of it. Complete tune up probly wouldn't hurt. If needed that is

FNjeep 10-09-2010 10:02 PM

Sell the hard top and get an OEM Soft -Top.

Nightly 10-10-2010 01:18 AM

Thanks YJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by FNjeep (Post 810976)

And why? I would think a hard top would be better vs the CO snow storms.

Glenn91YJ 10-10-2010 05:51 AM

Check the frame to make sure it is solid. Take a look at the rear where the shackles mount to the frame. This can be a problem area. Also check the front where the steering box mounts to the frame.

Change all your fluids. This way you can make sure they're all clean and you know you have a good starting point. Check your vent lines to make sure they are all in place. Check the 4WD vacuum lines. Mine were bad. They are plastic and get brittle over the years. Especially where they run near the exhaust.

I just picked up my first Jeep this spring and love it!

Post some pics and we can give you some more ideas. Have fun and don't forget to wave.:wavey:

Glenn91YJ 10-10-2010 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightly (Post 811304)
Thanks YJ

And why? I would think a hard top would be better vs the CO snow storms.

This will be my first winter with it. I both tops and just put the hardtop on. It's a lot more fun with the top off but it gets cold up here in the northeast. I won't be running it in the snow other than to plow my driveway. I'm just using a light weight UTV plow than mounts to a 2" hitch I added to the front bumper. I really don't want to expose it to the road salt but will drive it when it's nice. It's actually a 3rd vehicle so it qualifies as another "TOY"...hahahaha

jcf 10-10-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FNjeep (Post 810976)

Keep the hard top but also get a soft top. Later you can sell one if you find you don't use it but it's good to have the option of both untill you know what you like best. Odds are you will want both like me :)

Nightly 10-10-2010 12:14 PM

Thanks guys, I'll get working on changing the fluids and working on the vacuum.

NAVYCHIEF 10-10-2010 02:15 PM

the hard top gets just as cold as a soft top. in my opinion. kinda like sitting in a fridge..

jeepin82 10-10-2010 08:32 PM

Haha sitting in a fridge is an awesome description...:)

Nightly 10-10-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAVYCHIEF (Post 811794)
the hard top gets just as cold as a soft top. in my opinion. kinda like sitting in a fridge..

I was talking more about leaks/weight of snow.