Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Should I get rid of the rear seat (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/should-i-get-rid-of-the-rear-seat-64705.html)

Owen_TJ 10-09-2010 09:58 PM

Should I get rid of the rear seat

Hey everyone! I'm debating on getting rid of the rear seat in my 99 2.5L

I've got a couple dogs and its not exactly the easiest to get them in and out of the vehicle with the rear seat in there. I also think it would give me some noticeable room if i want to carry something (groceries, take cans back, etc). Another thing i think would be a positive is the weight savings i'd get by removing the seat. I'm going to be getting my lift and tires in the coming months and the 2.5L will be fine with the 33's, but the extra weight savings without the seat could help that situation.

My one concern if i do take the seat out, is that i'll really notice how much i'd like to have the seat in there. I'm not too worried about multipassenger rides, cause if they really need a ride, they can ride on the floor haha. Another thing is that sometimes i'll set something on the rear seat so it'll be harder to reach shit without it in there. And now that i think about it, would it look weird without the seat in there?

Here are the pros/cons list i've come up with so far (correct any of these if you feel they're wrong)...

Pros...

More room for cargo/dogs/etc
Less weight
Wont have to give people rides
Might be able to sell it for a few bucks

Cons...
Cant put stuff on it so it'll be harder to reach things
Now only a 2 seater (meh...*shrugs shoulders*)
Could look weird without a rear seat

If anyones got pics, post em up! I'll include one i took this afternoon just for reference.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...VT/topless.jpg

Thanks!

cpainter56 10-09-2010 10:01 PM

Btw, if it's the oem rear seat, it folds and tumbles.

s3nt3nc3d 10-09-2010 10:01 PM

If you don't haul passengers often at all, I'd remove it...it doesn't look goofy at all. I've had mine out for the past 9 months or so.

Owen_TJ 10-09-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpainter56 (Post 810890)
Btw, if it's the oem rear seat, it folds and tumbles.

It is the stock seat...i've actually never even attempted to mess with it so wasnt sure if it folded/tumbled.

Thanks, kinda feel artarded haha

Nic of HJP 10-09-2010 10:11 PM

Top off I enjoy the back seat out. Top on I enjoy it in.

T2000J 10-09-2010 10:49 PM

Took mine out first day I got my jeep still have it but will probly never use it . Your dogs will love it out

Martinez_Coins 10-09-2010 10:50 PM

I take mine out and leave it in the garage a lot but it takes less than 2 minutes to put back in when I need it.

Kate 10-09-2010 11:16 PM

I used to take mine out to go wheelin so I would have room for gear. About a year and a half ago I just hauled it up to the attic, and it's been there since.

I don't miss it and I don't haul passengers.

s3nt3nc3d 10-10-2010 12:11 AM

Mine won't go back in unless I have an unexpected child or a girlfriend with a child...when I took it out, I also removed the rear seat belts (due to flapping in the wind so badly) so even if I did put it back in, it wouldn't be legal until I reinstalled the seat belts.

Owen_TJ 10-10-2010 12:13 AM

Awesome...sold...comes out tomorrow haha

thanks everyone!

I really cant wait for the lift, rims, and tires though...if only i had a magic card with no limit and no bill

Bigstonz 10-10-2010 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the seat out 2 weeks after I got the jeep. Now the seat belts are gone, and the spare tire is mounted inside where the driver side tool box is in the pic.

danthebugman 10-10-2010 12:16 AM

If you don't have humans to ride in the back then, by all means, take them out. And, as Sentenced suggested, remove the seatbelts and the latching hardware while you are at it. The seatbelts just make noise and the floor hardware might hurt your pups!

Good luck!

robbiecc 10-10-2010 08:06 AM

I'd keep it and use/not use as needed. I fold mine up for grocery shopping(PO had a bunjie cord on the roll bar soft top tabs-figured it was to keep folded seat forward) and i've removed it several times-to haul 5 tires and when i got my soft top(bring it home-tight fit-frame) once ya figure it out, it's a breeze to remove/install-couple of min tops. my 2 small dogs like it and sometimes i do have a 3rd passenger.

scotiez 10-10-2010 09:22 AM

I finally removed mine also. No one has ever sat in the back seat, and I always had to flip it to haul groceries or what ever i needed to put back there. So i put a shelf in the garage, wrapped it in plastic, and there it sits. I won't put it in unless i sell my jeep, which i doubt that will ever happen.

jvc 10-10-2010 09:29 AM

i have two OEM folding rear seats from both my 1999 TJ's taking space in my single car garage !

Owen_TJ 10-10-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvc (Post 811450)
i have two OEM folding rear seats from both my 1999 TJ's taking space in my single car garage !

I now have one on my shelf in the garage haha

InvertChaos 10-10-2010 01:17 PM

I'd take it out if you never use it. I just took mine out today so I could have more cargo room. I'm an average build and I can handle carrying it by myself with no problem. Compared to our '97 Ford Expedition it is a cake walk to take the seat out and put it back in.

jpg103 10-10-2010 03:11 PM

I've never had the rear seat in. Have a dog bed in it's place instead.

wolfen 10-10-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstonz (Post 811107)
I took the seat out 2 weeks after I got the jeep. Now the seat belts are gone, and the spare tire is mounted inside where the driver side tool box is in the pic.

Wrangler pickup?

Jerry Bransford 10-10-2010 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't had a back seat in my TJ in 5 years and I don't miss it. The extra room for my back seat area storage box is a godsend. The below shows the back of my '97 that was stolen earlier this year but my '04 has a similar large storage box minus the Tuffy sliding security drawer (which I miss) underneat it.

Bruck 10-10-2010 03:55 PM

I have kids...Have to keep it.

jforse 10-10-2010 07:07 PM

Mine didnt have a seat when I bought the Jeep. I had a kid and had to find one to toss in the back. When I go wheelin I take it out and put my tools in.

wolfen 10-10-2010 08:25 PM

Mine goes in and out too, it even slides around and pops out of the brackets when its in the up position, so I got me a washer and a piece of tube I'm testing before I weld the two together, just to see if it will hold the seat in one place and stop it from sliding side to side

rk maxxus 10-10-2010 09:14 PM

Took mine out about 5 years ago when my boys go old enough to drive their own jeeps. I won't put it back in until grand kids show up.

dutch169 10-10-2010 09:25 PM

Why not fold it forward and secure it. It will give you more room for the dogs and cargo and also if you do need it its their.

Owen_TJ 10-10-2010 09:41 PM

Well, i've got the seat out now and so far tday i've loved having it out. I left the mounting hardware and seatbelts in for the time being just in case i want to put it back in, but so far that doesnt seem likely!

wolfen 10-10-2010 09:51 PM

The main reason I leave mine in is cause my shed floor is rotted away and theres a pile for everything and nothing in its right pile, until I rebuild the floor, Besides I take it out, my youngest will have it in his tree house in his secret location before I knew it :)

Nicholson 10-10-2010 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dogs on top, gear on the bottom.

GoldTJ 10-10-2010 11:37 PM

Unless you need to carry passengers back there,lose it!

Owen_TJ 10-10-2010 11:45 PM

Nope...been out all day and have liked it so pretty sure i'll be posting it for sale on CL tomorrow

Dont see myself needing it!

If someone needs a ride, they can sit back there no problem! Theres no rear seatbelt law here. I sat in there earlier today and its not uncomfortable at all!