Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Exhaust flex (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/exhaust-flex-64971.html)

Gr8dane 10-12-2010 08:06 AM

Exhaust flex
 
I've burned through 3 sets of headers on my 99 tj 4.0, 2 were banks, I can't knock banks for there design because it sound awesome and adds some noticeable power so I'm assuming the failing keeps happening due to the lack of flex of the exhaust in retrospect to the engine, has anyone added a flex coupler to their exhaust i know I'm not alone on this one.

EdJonesJeeper 10-12-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8dane
I've burned through 3 sets of headers on my 99 tj 4.0, 2 were banks, I can't knock banks for there design because it sound awesome and adds some noticeable power so I'm assuming the failing keeps happening due to the lack of flex of the exhaust in retrospect to the engine, has anyone added a flex coupler to their exhaust i know I'm not alone on this one.

The oem pipes have flex built in and are your best option in your tj. They are free flowing as well.

cpainter56 10-12-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJonesJeeper

The oem pipes have flex built in and are your best option in your tj. They are free flowing as well.

Thats not 100% true. I'd check my motor mounts if it were me. Any play in those can mess with the exhaust. Those banks headers have warranties against breaking and bending also.

Walkingstick 10-12-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJonesJeeper

The oem pipes have flex built in and are your best option in your tj. They are free flowing as well.

My OEM doesn't have any flex points..

Gr8dane 10-13-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingstick

My OEM doesn't have any flex points..

Nope, my oems had no flex points, welded up the headers last night good as new, going to install 4" section of flex pipe on the head pipe and problem should stop, and ports on oem set restrict airflow, hence aftermarket headers. I know the flex joint manifold you speak of jeep wants 500 bucks for, I'll just keep mine:)

97'wrangler 10-13-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8dane

Nope, my oems had no flex points, welded up the headers last night good as new, going to install 4" section of flex pipe on the head pipe and problem should stop, and ports on oem set restrict airflow, hence aftermarket headers. I know the flex joint manifold you speak of jeep wants 500 bucks for, I'll just keep mine:)

Could you take a couple of pics of what u did? I am going to do a 4.0l engine swap in my 2.5l SE. And I here that a lot of people r breaking there headers, why is that? I haven't with my 2.5l...

Gr8dane 10-13-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97'wrangler

Could you take a couple of pics of what u did? I am going to do a 4.0l engine swap in my 2.5l SE. And I here that a lot of people r breaking there headers, why is that? I haven't with my 2.5l...

My experience and logic says the 4.0 creates more heat an 97-02 range years had really Rigid Exhaust pipe, for those street jeeps it was just bad design and material I believe, 4 the offroaders vibration is the killer. Once I get the flex pipe in that will allow the header to move with the engine and the rest of the exhaust will stay in place. Hold off on that 4.0 I got a buddy with the 2.5 running 40s with one ton axles he has no power issues.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.