Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   transfer case wet and rear diff leak (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/transfer-case-wet-and-rear-diff-leak-65498.html)

jeepgurl21 10-16-2010 04:24 PM

transfer case wet and rear diff leak

So I went and had an oil change today and I was told I have a rear diff leak and that the transfer case is wet but I never see any fluid on the ground were I park. How would I fix this? Also I have this clicking noise kind of sounds like a rock stuck in the tire but their is not one. Thanks :)

blacksport 10-16-2010 06:24 PM

Hey, have you actually looked to see where he said it was leaking at? The diff can be leaking from the cover. Which you could pull, clean, rtv and then install. If it's leaking from where the drive shaft enters the axle then it is your pinion seal. Which you have to pull the drive shaft, the yoke ( has a one time use nut but some people locktite the crap out of it and torque it to I believe 160 in lbs). Then the seal you just beat the edges out with a hammer and chisel. The new one you hammer in but be gentle and use a piece of wood or something to hit against, or you will damage the seal. I've never had a transfer case leak so I cant help you there! O btw you won't really see any fluid from the rear diff. Its very thick and probably won't be leaking bad enough to drip to the ground.

Cam02TJ 10-16-2010 06:40 PM

Had the same problem with mine and it was the pinion seal, did exactly what blacksport did, as for the ticking it could be a sticky lifter, you might be able to ad some crankcase additive to quiet it down. I don't like doing this though don't really trust them. I replaced the lifters and push rods and solved the problem. Pull the valve cover, take the clamps off of the rockers pull out the push rods (they just sit on top of the lifters) and take a shop magnet and you should be able to fish the lifters out. Takes patience.

blacksport 10-16-2010 06:47 PM

O ya that ticking I had one and it sounded like a rock just like you said. But I actually checked my lugs and the rear driver was extremely loose. But if you just had it at a shop then i'm guessing thats good. Not sure if you were meaning your engine has a noise or your jeep.

cork1958 10-17-2010 05:05 AM

My Jeep had a rear diff leak when I bought it a few years ago. Never saw a drop on the ground and it's so thick it may never go low enough to worry about, but I worried about it!!

Had quick lube place in town fix it and all is well. Wasn't all that expensive either.

vekrause 10-19-2010 08:14 AM

I'm having the same problem, ticking noise and all. And I too have a puddle when it sits for a few days. Very small puddle though. For those with experience with this, sounds like a job I can do myself in the garage? Should I pull the back cover, drain and change the fluid? or how do I know how much should be in there. Is it worth it to change to U-joints since I'll be dropping the drive shaft anyways?

jeepgurl21 10-20-2010 06:33 AM

Thanks. I just had new tires put on monday and so far the clicking has stopped. The guy said that the rim covers were holding a lot of debri. As for the leaks when I looked the rear diff is leaking just a little and the fluid level is fine. What is a resonable price to pay to fix it, normally had I have my brother and my dad do it but my brother is in the marines and my dad is having knee surgery. I have asked around and I have gotten a few estimates ranging from 70 to 150.

CJS98TJ 10-20-2010 05:30 PM

I have a leak off my rear diff I'm taking the diff cover of this weekend because I have lots of stains on my drive way from it. I think my pinion seal is popped to I was told when taking out the seal you have to make sure the preload is right in the axle or the seal will pop again. Any info on that?