Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Sentry System Problems

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Adonis 
#1 ·
Jeep is starting and running for about 2 seconds then dying. I have searched around the forums and I believe I have found the issue to be the sentry skim system. Out of all the threads about it there dont seem to be any fixes listed. I have tried both keys that I have as well as removing the negative terminal to the battery and starting it again, still dies.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Your ECM has to be programmed to match your keys. If the coding is somehow lost and you have less than two properly coded keys, you'll need to get towed to a dealer so they can reprogram things for you.

#3 ·
The Sentry system is detecting an electronic (chipped) key that has not been properly coded, or the key doesn't have any coding chip in it at all. If you just had a key copied with a plain key without the required electronic chip inside, it will start the engine but the Skim system will kill the engine once it determines you didn't use the right key to start the engine.

You need to use a key with the electronic chip that has been programmed to match your particular Jeep. Not many locksmiths can do that and the dealer isn't cheap.

#5 ·
Ok, need to bring up an old thread again. I started having this problem a while ago and then it just went away. Now it is back again. Jeep starts right up but dies after 2 seconds. The key light is on on the dash and I am using the factory keys, same ones I have always used. I will take a look and make sure it is plugged in if I can find it but are there any other suggestions on how to remedy this issue? Thanks.

#6 ·
OK I realize I am answering my own thread but I figured that down the road people are going to search for this problem just like I did. I pretty much feel like an idiot but the problem was just a blown fuse that runs the sentry immobilizer system. Changed the fuse and problem fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.