Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   still worth putting a lift kit on? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/still-worth-putting-a-lift-kit-on-65828.html)

rd-wrangler 10-19-2010 10:38 AM

still worth putting a lift kit on?

i was planning on putting a 4" lift kit and 33s on my jeep but then my frame cracked. I got it welded back together from a guy i work with and it seems solid. but my question is should i even bother putting a lift on it now? i know the bigger tires will put more stress on the the jeep and might even crack the weld so i figured i would replace the stock suspension with a new stock suspension set up because eveything is rusting and put 30s on. just wanted to ask to see if this has happened to anyone else? the rest of the frame is solid, just have to grind off some surface rust in some areas. ill post a pic of the cracked part of the frame below.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...004_130712.jpg

N8whitie 10-19-2010 03:06 PM

Seems like you have a pretty good size rust issue there. I would go through the rest of the frame and check for weak spots or other cracks and then deal with that before the lift. Hit that rust with sandpaper, corroseal and paint.

Hunter jones 10-19-2010 05:45 PM

If that is the only major week point u might try grinding the excess weld off an wire welding u some 1/4 steel flatstock over it

rd-wrangler 10-21-2010 09:06 AM

here is a pic of the cracked welded...i grinded off the rust and sprayed some rustoleum on it...

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...021_080310.jpg

RSC17 10-21-2010 09:12 AM

i'd go over the whole frame and check to see if there are any more problems. if that's the only one, that looks pretty solid for what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about putting a liftkit on.

jeeps&comics 10-21-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSC17 (Post 832422)
i'd go over the whole frame and check to see if there are any more problems. if that's the only one, that looks pretty solid for what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about putting a liftkit on.

took the words out of my mouth. with those plates/welds your buddy did, i would think that spot is plenty strong. but still check the rest of the frame as well..

Hunter jones 10-21-2010 09:22 AM

I had a 92 2.5 that was craked in the same spot !

Phrankoff 10-21-2010 09:26 AM

Preachin to the choir boys....

Had it repaired a few weeks back. A friend of a friend type deal. He's been welding for 30+ years. He is the head welder at a place that shortens and lengthens 18 wheeler frames. I'm pretty sure he knew how to handle this little sucker. He went with a little overkill that makes it visible.. I don't mind that at all. It looks strong as all hell and I feel a lot safer driving with it fixed

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture026.jpg

Hunter jones 10-21-2010 09:32 AM

It almost looks like two different frames?

Phrankoff 10-21-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter jones (Post 832456)
It almost looks like two different frames?

Mine or the OPs?

If you're referring to mine.. its two different colors because of how I painted my frame/underside. Since Its my DD I couldn't do it all at once in one shot. I did it in sections.

At this point in the pic, I had done the front bumper, the plastic bumper cover, the area underneath and I used the section where I stopped as a marker of sorts. I finished the rest of the frame last night behind the wheels.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...elwells007.jpg

jeeps&comics 10-21-2010 09:50 AM

ba BOOM! that looks heavy duty phrankoff :punk:

Phrankoff 10-21-2010 09:58 AM

^^ I know at first I was like, agh it sticks out at you but then I said, who cares, I'm safe! Plus after I painted the area around it it blends in a lot better.

Better safe than sorry

rd-wrangler 10-21-2010 10:03 AM

alright cool thanks for al your inputs guys. Yeah i plan on going over my whole frame and grinding off the rust then painting layers of rustoleum. honestly thats the only spot that was rusted heavily but i did noticed it rusted from the inside...the rest of the frame and tub are solid with little surface rust. the gas tank skid plate was rusty as hell and even a section rotted out by the exhuast tip. i grinded the rust as much as could and sprayed rustoleum. i plan on pop riveting a piece of stainless or galvinized steel to fill the rotted hole in. but thats another story....

Hunter jones 10-21-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrankoff

Mine or the OPs?

If you're referring to mine.. its two different colors because of how I painted my frame/underside. Since Its my DD I couldn't do it all at once in one shot. I did it in sections.

At this point in the pic, I had done the front bumper, the plastic bumper cover, the area underneath and I used the section where I stopped as a marker of sorts. I finished the rest of the frame last night behind the wheels.

O ok that's y then lol

Phrankoff 10-21-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd-wrangler (Post 832494)
alright cool thanks for al your inputs guys. Yeah i plan on going over my whole frame and grinding off the rust then painting layers of rustoleum. honestly thats the only spot that was rusted heavily but i did noticed it rusted from the inside...the rest of the frame and tub are solid with little surface rust. the gas tank skid plate was rusty as hell and even a section rotted out by the exhuast tip. i grinded the rust as much as could and sprayed rustoleum. i plan on pop riveting a piece of stainless or galvinized steel to fill the rotted hole in. but thats another story....

a few tips from someone who is doing it right now.. I am 95% done...
taking the wheels off will help you so much! I know it sounds simple and obvious but I tried doing the prep with the wheels on and you just cannot reach it all.

Also don't forget the primer..obviously. I used the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer on the frame. Then I hit it with Rusto Hammered Black.

Another tip is Rustoleum sells a product called Universal Rustoleum Hammered... its the same color and texture except it comes in a bottle that has a squeeze handle. Also it says you can spray the can in any direction. This is paritally true. I learned it will spray upside down for a few seconds...maybe 5-7. But then you must striahgten it and regain the spray...then continue. In addition, this type of Rustoleum covers quicker and covers faster.

rd-wrangler 10-21-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrankoff (Post 832516)
a few tips from someone who is doing it right now.. I am 95% done...
taking the wheels off will help you so much! I know it sounds simple and obvious but I tried doing the prep with the wheels on and you just cannot reach it all.

Also don't forget the primer..obviously. I used the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer on the frame. Then I hit it with Rusto Hammered Black.

Another tip is Rustoleum sells a product called Universal Rustoleum Hammered... its the same color and texture except it comes in a bottle that has a squeeze handle. Also it says you can spray the can in any direction. This is paritally true. I learned it will spray upside down for a few seconds...maybe 5-7. But then you must striahgten it and regain the spray...then continue. In addition, this type of Rustoleum covers quicker and covers faster.

ok cool thanks for the tips! yeah i was looking at the hammered black rustoleum and it looks pretty cool but i just grabbed some flat black since that is what my jeep is painted with lol. i do have to pick up a can of rusty primer though.

did you use a grinder for the rust or did you just use coarse sandpaper and do it by hand?

Phrankoff 10-21-2010 10:39 AM

It depended on the part but for 90% of it I used a drill with several attachments.. A COARSE 4" wire wheel, a FINE 4" wire wheel and a wire cup I believe its called. Each one was about 5 bucks and I only needed one of each to get through the job.

One of the biggest hints I will give you is a product called The Must For Rust. Essentially you wash the area...let it dry. Doesn't have to be 100%. Then apply this stuff from a spray bottle on rusty areas. Soaking it. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash it off.

I found it worked best when I did this at the local car wash. For two reasons. Number 1- when it rinses off it CAN leave a white film/residue on your concrete/asphalt. This was learned the hard way.... Number 2- I don't have a pressure washer... if you do then I would use that. But the high powered hose at the gas station worked really well.

rd-wrangler 10-21-2010 10:53 AM

alright cool thanks again. I have a 4" grinder with several types of sandpaper attachements i will probably ened up using but i will take alook for these drill attachements when i stop at home depot. that might be easier to handle. i will also take a look at The Must for Rust product.

Phrankoff 10-21-2010 11:19 AM

There is a kit that they sell that comes with the ones a mentioned plus another few things. Maybe you want that? I don't know. But Lemmy warn you- it gets tiringgggg.
Watch the corners and edges cause it tends to fly off. Last thing you want is a broken wrist.

And not to sound like a nerd but safety glasses! Rust doesn't feel good in the eye...in dust or chip form. I know both....twice.. :doh:

rd-wrangler 10-21-2010 01:18 PM

BLACK AND DECKER 4-Pc. Wire Wheel Starter Set - 70-617 at The Home Depot

i found this one...

Phrankoff 10-21-2010 01:53 PM

ya those are the exact thing I was talking about.
The one on the top left is the wire wheel and the bottom right is the cup thing I was talking about. The one on the bottom left is more for wood I think... its essentially strips of sandpaper that spin like a ferris wheel. the smaller pain brush looking one is just for even smaller areas.

I don't know if you'd use the sandpaper one but definitely the wheel, the cup and the small one would be good for certain areas like around your shackles and leaf springs

rd-wrangler 10-22-2010 09:54 AM

went to home depot last night...grabbed a couple of rusty primer and rustoleum flat black...aslo grabbed a 4" wire wheel and a 2" cup wheel..the wheels in the kit were too small. looks like im having a busy day tomorrow lol.

Thanks for all the tips and hints guys

Phrankoff 10-22-2010 12:15 PM

What do you mean they were too small? they sell those attachments for drills and for a grinder. The one for a drill will have a long tip, obviously so it goes into the drill like a bit. The other is for a grinder.

rd-wrangler 10-22-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrankoff (Post 834911)
What do you mean they were too small? they sell those attachments for drills and for a grinder. The one for a drill will have a long tip, obviously so it goes into the drill like a bit. The other is for a grinder.

diameter-wise too small lol

Phrankoff 10-22-2010 03:21 PM

those were the ones that I used.. haha it will take some time to do. but it is well worth it now and for a good time afterword

rd-wrangler 10-25-2010 11:37 AM

ok so i decided to start grinding rust away and painting my frame with some rusty primer and rustoelum flat black...i did the passenger and driver side...being that there are less components making it easier...overall there really wasnt that much rust my frame is solid, just little spots of surface rust, no rotting at all...anyways here are a couple pictures for your pleasure..also wasnt sure if i could paint the brake drums due to heat so i just left them alone for now..

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...024_150636.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...024_150650.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...023_163857.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...023_163902.jpg

Phrankoff 10-25-2010 11:43 AM

lookin good! No you should not paint that.

Don't forget to hit the "inside" of the skid plate when you paint it. Not the whole thing- but there is a lip that is visible that needs to be painted. It sticks out like a sore thumb once everything else around it is painted black

keep it up

rd-wrangler 10-25-2010 11:50 AM

thanks Phrankoff! your tips helped me out alot. which skid plate? the gas tank skid plate or the skid skid plate in the middle?

Phrankoff 10-25-2010 11:55 AM

no problem! I was assisted by reading everyone else's write-ups :D

Gas tank is what I was referring to. In your second picture it is visible. The "top" or "inside" of the plate where the gas tank is- I didn't go nuts prepping it but I wiped it off and primed it/painted it while I was down there. Also you can wipe the dirt/dust of your gas tank with soap and water or windex. It comes off easily. You could hit it with a coat of black paint for consistency but don't go too nuts its not a hue deal.

I do think, however, I am going to paint my wheel wells black. Prep them with scotch brite pads and just coat em. The ones in front as well. I think I'll need more prep for that though cause its the actual color of the body

I still need to do my main skid plate underneath but nobody can see it so its ok for now :rofl:

rd-wrangler 10-25-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrankoff (Post 839503)
no problem! I was assisted by reading everyone else's write-ups :D

Gas tank is what I was referring to. In your second picture it is visible. The "top" or "inside" of the plate where the gas tank is- I didn't go nuts prepping it but I wiped it off and primed it/painted it while I was down there. Also you can wipe the dirt/dust of your gas tank with soap and water or windex. It comes off easily. You could hit it with a coat of black paint for consistency but don't go too nuts its not a hue deal.

I do think, however, I am going to paint my wheel wells black. Prep them with scotch brite pads and just coat em. The ones in front as well. I think I'll need more prep for that though cause its the actual color of the body

I still need to do my main skid plate underneath but nobody can see it so its ok for now :rofl:

ooooo ok. yeah some of that is actually primer overspray lol. ill just crawl under there and spray a coat or 2 next time...when the wheel is on you cant really see it...:rofl: