Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   GoodYear Wrangler Territory Tires for my TJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/goodyear-wrangler-territory-tires-for-my-tj-65963.html)

TJeepman 10-20-2010 11:12 AM

GoodYear Wrangler Territory Tires for my TJ

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pictures.
Very agressive looking tire, thread depth 18/32", snowflake/mountain symbol (winter driving rated), studdable, and M+S rated. These are on sale this week and next week (I believe) at Canadian Tire for $130.11 in the LT235/75-15 (load range C) size. Local WalMarts have a GoodYear Wrangler Attitude tire which looks very similar but is only available in 16".
After the DOT letters on the tires are dates of manufacture (per usual). Two were manufactured 1710, the other two 5109. Hope the guys making the tires the 51st week of 2009 weren't distracted too much from Christmas celebrations.
I purchased the tires and will have them installed probably in early January, when winter starts to get serious.
Question: I'm not one that buys additional insurance, but Canadian Tire has an additional "limited" warranty, only available for 4 wheel drive vehicles, costing about $7.00 per tire, that will allow replacement of all tires if one fails and can't be repaired under their normal warranty. I don't have to decide on this until I get them installed, and will do some research on the additional warranty in the meantime.
Anybody have thoughts on, experience with, this type of additional warranty that they would like to share?

97sport09 10-20-2010 11:20 AM

additional warranties are the best! Have it on a few of my cars, and on my Honda has a huge nail go through the tire, just shredded it, and they replaced it free of charge with a new tire. They are offering replacement of all tires if one fails? Go for it!

TJeepman 10-21-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97sport09 (Post 830567)
additional warranties are the best! Have it on a few of my cars, and on my Honda has a huge nail go through the tire, just shredded it, and they replaced it free of charge with a new tire. They are offering replacement of all tires if one fails? Go for it!

Thanks. The regular price on the tire was $173.49. Sale price is $130.11. Savings in tax alone, at 15%, was $6.50. So, one could say that $7.00 for full replacement warranty (all 4 for a 4WD), no tread wear adjustment, isn't a bad deal.
Looking at the numbers, one could assume that say 1 in 30 Customers will benefit from the 4 tire replacement warranty. Those are the odds possibly. Considering that two of the tires were made between Christmas and New Years, ......... I might just go for the warranty. :D

Here's more info on the tires. The closest regular line GoodyYear tire is Dura Trac, I'm thinking.

InfernoGirl 10-21-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJeepman (Post 832394)
no tread wear adjustment, isn't a bad deal.

I just went and looked at those in the link. You did read the pro rated in the regular warranty, right? That means there is going to be an adjustment for wear. Not trying to dissuade you from buying the warranty, just want to make sure you don't get an unpleasant surprise if you need to use it.

TJeepman 10-21-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 832465)
I just went and looked at those in the link. You did read the pro rated in the regular warranty, right? That means there is going to be an adjustment for wear. Not trying to dissuade you from buying the warranty, just want to make sure you don't get an unpleasant surprise if you need to use it.

Thanks for reading the warranty and pointing that out. That's their regular "no additional cost" warranty on the tires up to 5 years. The additional warranty, which I found some information about on line (covered under "Protection Plan Plus"), gets rid of the tread wear aspect and provides a new free replacement tire. In the case of 4WDs, all four tires are replaced, so they tell me at the store, a couple of their stores actually. Here's what I could find on the "Protection Plan Plus".
Quote:

Protection Plan PLUS
We've got you covered from coast to coast!
You've invested in new tires and the last thing you need is to have to replace one. Protect yourself from unexpected problems by purchasing the Protection Plan PLUS for tires.

How the program works
If one of your tires is damaged due to accidental road hazard or manufacturing defect and cannot be repaired*, Canadian Tire will replace it at no charge.

Once you purchase Protection Plan PLUS for tires, you'll have peace of mind knowing that everything will be taken care of by your Canadian Tire service team whenever you need it.

Note:
•Available only with new passenger or light truck tires purchased and installed at Canadian Tire
•One plan must be purchased for each tire
•Plan is valid for up to 5 years from the date of purchase or until the day the plan is redeemed - whichever comes first
•Once the Protection Plan PLUS for tires certificate is redeemed, the replacement tire will only be covered by our regular tire warranty.
•Customer is responsible for balancing, taxes and other applicable charges
•Every attempt will be made to replace the tire with one of the same brand. However, if such a tire is no longer available, it will be replaced with a tire of comparable quality. Should the replacement tire be more expensive, the customer is responsible for covering the difference in retail price
•Tires MUST remain on the vehicle on which they were installed and in the possession of the named purchaser
•To redeem the certificate, the customer is required to present the original work order
•Tires removed from service become the property of Canadian Tire Corporation

Exemptions to the program:
Protection Plan Plus for tires is exclusive to the original purchaser and is not transferable. The plan does not apply to:

•Tires used on campers, commercial vehicles, limousines, taxis, police and emergency vehicles
•Tires that have been transferred from the vehicle on which they were originally installed
•Tires that have been damaged as a result of mechanical defect of the vehicle
•Tires with a remaining tread depth of 2/32" or less
•Tires marked USED or BLEMISHED
•Tires which have been damaged through acts of vandalism, fire, theft, or collision
•Tires other than the ones identified by the DOT# on the work order
•Tires not installed at Canadian Tire
•Tires purchased on clearance deals or tires that are discontinued
•Tires that do not belong to the Motomaster, Michelin, BFGoodrich, Uniroyal, Goodyear or Dunlop brands
•Tires that are purchased through the Keystone Automotive Operations Program

InfernoGirl 10-21-2010 12:46 PM

Cool beans! :)

TJeepman 03-07-2011 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's what the tires look like on the Jeep. They work very well, less drivetrain noise than with the previous worn, somewhat hard tires, and great snow biting ability.

Red Tempo 06-09-2011 10:06 AM

Do you have stock 15" rims and no lift on your Jeep? I need to get a new set of tires and I've heard the territories are fantastic, but I'm rocking a standard TJ with no tweaking done to it.

Any rubbing or clearance issues?

InfernoGirl 06-09-2011 10:14 AM

That is a 29" tire, you can fit up to a 31 on a stock TJ with no problems other than slight possibility of rubbing at full lock which is remedied by adding a washer or two to the steering stops. My 31's never rubbed...

Arch Stanton 06-09-2011 10:45 AM

I've always purchased the road hazard warranty but can only remember using it once for all the tires I've purchased for my vehicles. The road hazard warranty is more expensive in the states, so seven dollars sounds like a pretty good deal.

Shelby427 06-09-2011 12:00 PM

$7.00 for a road hazard is dirt cheap, even a pro rated one. Even 50% pro rate you are getting new tires for half price.

Did read from your post of the warranty it's a one time affair. Replacement tire(s) only carry the limited warranty, not the extended one.

And I didn't see anything about replacing four if one is bad on a 4WD.

If they told you that, get it in writing on your invoice and signed by the seller.
Oral warranties are only as good as the person who gives it. If they(the person who told you) aren't there, what proof do you have?

TJeepman 06-09-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby427 (Post 1293356)
$7.00 for a road hazard is dirt cheap, even a pro rated one. Even 50% pro rate you are getting new tires for half price.

Did read from your post of the warranty it's a one time affair. Replacement tire(s) only carry the limited warranty, not the extended one.

And I didn't see anything about replacing four if one is bad on a 4WD.

If they told you that, get it in writing on your invoice and signed by the seller.
Oral warranties are only as good as the person who gives it. If they(the person who told you) aren't there, what proof do you have?

Take a look at Post #5 re warranty.
Road hazzard warranty (treadwear based if replaced) is included in the price of the tire. That's a typical practice in Canada, atleast with CTC and WalMart, plus some others.
The $7.00 is for Protection Plan Plus which has no treadwear adjustment plus, for a 4 wheel drive, all tires will be replaced with new if there's 3/16" (I believe, will have to verify the difference and exact wording) treadwear difference between a new tire and what's on the vehicle.

TJeepman 06-09-2011 05:16 PM

Correction: In Post #12, that should have been 3/32", not 3/16".

Here's an interesting article on matching tie sizes and what happens if they are different by even 1/8" in diameter: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18
Quote:

As an example of different tire diameters resulting from tires worn to different tread depths, we'll compare two 225/45R17-sized tires, a new tire with its original tread depth of 10/32-inch and a second tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth. The new 225/45R17-sized tire has a calculated diameter of 24.97", a circumference of 78.44" and will roll 835 times each mile. The same tire worn to 8/32-inch of remaining tread depth is calculated to be 1/8" shorter with a diameter of 24.84", have a circumference of 78.04" and will roll 839 times per mile. While the difference of 1/8" in overall diameter doesn't seem excessive, the resulting 4 revolutions per mile difference can place a continuous strain on the tires and vehicle's driveline. Obviously, the greater the difference in the tires' circumferences, the greater the resulting strain.
Quote:

There are several suggestions that have been offered to drivers who are replacing pairs or individual tires on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth.

ipleadda2nd 06-09-2011 05:20 PM

I guessed you were from Canada. The reason is, those tires are too nice to have missed on Goodyear's web site! I just double checked and they're not there.

Hopefully I am mistaken and those are available in the states. If anyone knows let me know.

:popcorn:

TJeepman 06-09-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipleadda2nd (Post 1294220)
I guessed you were from Canada. The reason is, those tires are too nice to have missed on Goodyear's web site! I just double checked and they're not there.

Hopefully I am mistaken and those are available in the states. If anyone knows let me know.

:popcorn:

WalMart may have a similar tire called Goodyear Wrangler "Attitude". Check out Kelly Tires as well? They may have something similar.

TJeepman 06-09-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJeepman (Post 1294302)
WalMart may have a similar tire called Goodyear Wrangler "Attitude". Check out Kelly Tires as well? They may have something similar.

Actually it's Goodyear Wrangler "Authority" per Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tire LT265/75R16 Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products - Walmart

A better picture: Wrangler Authority

ipleadda2nd 06-10-2011 09:17 AM

Thank you much