Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   1989 YJ Wrangler Won't Start (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/1989-yj-wrangler-wont-start-65966.html)

rlh 10-20-2010 11:26 AM

1989 YJ Wrangler Won't Start

Hi, I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ. It suddenly won't start. It's kind of a weird situation. I was driving it earlier, all over town. Looking for a couple of products. Finally found them and went to my cousins house in town. Spent some time there, and then as I was trying to go home, the engine wouldn't start. Here are the details of the engine.

It won't even turn over.
The fuel pump will come on, for a few seconds, but no starting.
The headlights are good and strong.
The battery connections are a bit corroded.
The battery itself is pretty much dead, within the red mark on the jeep.

The first thing I know I should try is to get rid of the the corrosion obviously. Anything else I should be watching out for? I imagine it could be as simple as the corrosion, but I'm betting it's probably something else maybe. Any suggestions?

NateD 10-20-2010 12:54 PM

Get a new battery, check the starter, spark plugs, and distributor.

Oh and make sure your battery connections are tight.

rlh 10-21-2010 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check the Jeep out today with my Uncle. It's almost 9am and he's about to be heading over here to pick me up. Unfortunately this all didn't happen at my house, so we have to drive into town to my cousins and check out a few things. Thanks for the reply.

jeeps&comics 10-21-2010 07:59 AM

yeah, i agree with nate. if you can get a new battery, bring it to your local auto zone or advance auto or something, and they can do a free diagnostic test on the alternator/charging system, and your original battery to see if a cell is bad or something. let us know how it goes

rlh 10-21-2010 03:35 PM

Update

Just an update here. Got it fixed today. Here's all that happened. Went to where Jeep was located and cleaned off the connections. Tried jump starting it, and it didn't start. wouldn't turn over. Ended up getting a New battery, because the old one was over 6 years old. Yeah, it was a bad battery, but that wasn't all that was wrong with it. Ended up pull starting it and drove it home. Tested the starter at home, and it didn't look too good. Took it off and took it down to Advanced Discount Auto Parts, and got and tested the started. Nope, bad starter. Ended up buying a new starter to go with that new battery, and installed it. Once everything was installed, cleaned up a little, and fired it up. Fired up like a new Jeep. Basically, what I found out today is this, being a bad battery, trying to crank it, ended up frying the starter. So, got my Jeep running, and another $170 in the hole. Thanks for the tips. Was an interesting experience, seeing as how this was my first time doing a starter, or any major mechanic work lol.