Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Lift Install Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lift-install-questions-6611.html)

Adventurous 03-15-2007 08:46 PM

Lift Install Questions

So, I purchased the OME Stage 1 Lift and my father offered to install it for me. He started work on the front first and has a couple of questions before moving to the rear. They are:

"After installing new longer coil springs, the upper spring guide posts rub the forward inner part of the spring. How is this prevented?" Keep in mind he has only done the front. Will this be corrected once the rear lift is installed?

"The lower spring retainer clamps are missing. Are they necessary?"

4Jeepn 03-15-2007 09:13 PM

Got pic's of the spring? Are you saying the bumpstop hang down bracket is contacting the spring or is it something else?

Most jeeps only have the spring retainer on the driver's side.. you should be able to pick these up at the dealer.

Adventurous 03-15-2007 09:17 PM

I don't have pics...I stopped by to see it after work. Yes, the bumpstop hang down bracket is contacting the spring.

It was the drivers side that had the spring retainer. Is it not needed on the passenger side?

4Jeepn 03-15-2007 09:51 PM

They should not be touching, something would seem to be off with the axle perhaps. Did he remove the control arms? As for the bracket yes, only the driver's side has it, not sure why.

binaryking 03-15-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventurous (Post 63104)
...It was the drivers side that had the spring retainer. Is it not needed on the passenger side?

You need one for the passenger side too, or else in full flex you could lose a coil spring. I've seen it happen. Rusty's off road carries them.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ory_Code=COILS

It isn't something that you HAVE to add right now, but I would get one.

offroadpatrol 03-16-2007 12:34 AM

"The lower spring retainer clamps are missing. Are they necessary?"[/QUOTE]

WOW!...glad I read this...for the spring clamp link...my jeep doesn't have any at all...

1BLKJP 03-16-2007 12:47 AM

If you are using stock springs or small lift springs then those spring retainer clips are not necessary as the shocks will not let it droop enough to completely lose the spring. Especially if you put extended bumpstops in it.

As for the springs hitting the bumpstop. How much lift are they? Could be the axle not centered due to trac bar. Could just not be completely seated in the cup some. All TJ's springs are closer to the bumpstops in the front with lift springs. But they should not be touching.

Adventurous 03-16-2007 07:14 AM

It's only a 2" lift.

mrbigjeep 03-16-2007 08:52 AM

does he have the front off jackstands and sitting on the ground with wheels/tires on? if he still has it on jackstands then i would expect the spring to be hitting the bumpstops because the axle isn't jacked up. we had the axle on jackstands and my spring hit the bumpstop too untill i jacked it back up and put the tires/wheels on.

mrbigjeep 03-16-2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroadpatrol (Post 63174)
"The lower spring retainer clamps are missing. Are they necessary?"

WOW!...glad I read this...for the spring clamp link...my jeep doesn't have any at all...[/QUOTE]

mine doesn't have any either. who needs em? :D

Adventurous 03-16-2007 02:34 PM

It was on the ground with all 4 tires on.

Stouttrout 03-16-2007 04:15 PM

Usually on a lift without adjustable control arms the wheelbase will become short. the tire in front and back are "squezed" togehter. On a 2" you should not have this problem but they are close anyway. Check your Cam bolt on the lowers to make sure they are in the right spot. Did he add a bumpstop up under the original bumpstop mount? Is it the lip of the bumpstop hitting the spring? Can you post up a pic in any way?

Adventurous 03-16-2007 04:25 PM

He didn't add a bumpstop under the original one. It is the lip of the bumpstop that's hitting it. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can...the roads are pretty bad right now and I can't get out there to take one.

Adventurous 03-26-2007 09:34 PM

Just wanted to post an update. I installed the rear lift this weekend and the problem corrected itself. Thanks for all the advice.

stevin33 03-27-2007 05:54 AM

awesome..!!!!!
glad it worked out for ya.
can't wait to see the pics