Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   On The Trail (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/)
-   -   Wheeling the Gorge (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/wheeling-the-gorge-66306.html)

benaldridgejr 10-23-2010 11:19 AM

Wheeling the Gorge

Headed to Red River Gorge for some wheelin tomorrow! Hope to see some more jeeps out there! Lemme know if your headed that way!

McBear 10-23-2010 05:04 PM

Where are you heading?

I heard some trails are closed due to fire concerns.

Fire ban on CUmberland Ranger District

benaldridgejr 10-23-2010 05:10 PM

Uh oh.. Thanks McBear. Ill check and see bout where, you may have saved us alot of time!

benaldridgejr 10-23-2010 05:46 PM

Looks like were good! One of the guys lives by where we are goin and said its open! Yay!

benaldridgejr 10-24-2010 09:28 PM

15 Attachment(s)
Wheeling the Gorge! Had a blast! Also had to fix a steering linkage my buddies CJ while on a hill in the trails! Then broke the clutch bracket after we got it out to smooth ground.. :( Rough Country made the trails so much easier in my YJ!! Lots of flex and no probs the whole time!... Well besides teeter- tottering on 3 wheels..on a hill... Over a huge rock... Beside a huge drop off... :/

McBear 10-25-2010 02:58 PM

Glad you had a good trip. I saw that 77 was closed from Nada Tunnel and that a fire was building in part of the area.

Drop me a note when you are heading back to the area. Looks like you had fun.

I used to go to RRG every month or so when I hiked or rappelled back in the late 70s-80s but got out of the habit. Now that I am settled back in Kentucky it is time to start again.

benaldridgejr 10-25-2010 04:10 PM

Yes we did! Ill definately throw ya a not next time. Be good ta have more vehicals, i love convoys! Thanks again on the heads up. See ya round

moscoeb 10-25-2010 04:33 PM

I would love to tag along sometime if y'all don't mind a straight stock rig.

crunch 10-25-2010 04:34 PM

I didn't even know you could wheel at Red River I've hiked there but I also didn't have a jeep then. If someone wanted to make a Weekend out of it there are some nice cabins with great rates in the geological area I think its called Red River Gorgeous. We stayed there last fall I think with the Military discount it was like 80 bucks a night for two bedrooms and a futon.

Michaellkemp 10-25-2010 07:49 PM

Where is this wheeln spot located?

benaldridgejr 10-25-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb
I would love to tag along sometime if y'all don't mind a straight stock rig.

No prob! Some spots would eat a stock jeep tho :( almost all we went to that day.. Lots of bottoming out,deep mud, and two or more foot tall rocks up steep hills.. More than i ever anticipated! At least a 2" lift would be needed.. Ill holler if we go to richmond too tho, a lil place called jigwater is stock freindly!

benaldridgejr 10-25-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunch
I didn't even know you could wheel at Red River I've hiked there but I also didn't have a jeep then. If someone wanted to make a Weekend out of it there are some nice cabins with great rates in the geological area I think its called Red River Gorgeous. We stayed there last fall I think with the Military discount it was like 80 bucks a night for two bedrooms and a futon.

We were talkin bout that yesterday actually! Good rates there.. Just not sure of the vehical trails by there. Thanks!

benaldridgejr 10-25-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michaellkemp
Where is this wheeln spot located?

Right inside Stanton, not to far from the city limits.. About a few miles from their drive in theater.

benaldridgejr 10-25-2010 08:42 PM

Anyone and all that wanna go to this spot stay/get subscribed to this thread and i can update the next trip out! Thanks for checkin it out!

Fazed 10-25-2010 10:47 PM

I'm in as soon as I get my heep back together again!

benaldridgejr 10-26-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazed
I'm in as soon as I get my heep back together again!

Cool beans!

tommyb 11-20-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benaldridgejr (Post 840638)
No prob! Some spots would eat a stock jeep tho :( almost all we went to that day.. Lots of bottoming out,deep mud, and two or more foot tall rocks up steep hills.. More than i ever anticipated! At least a 2" lift would be needed.. Ill holler if we go to richmond too tho, a lil place called jigwater is stock freindly!

I'm runnin a stock rig too, would love to know more about this jigwater!

Jeepken 11-20-2010 07:31 PM

I'd be interested in hearing about jigwater as well. Spill the beans!

Fazed 11-20-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepken
I'd be interested in hearing about jigwater as well. Spill the beans!

Jiggwater was awesome! I posted some pics in the KY forum under the Richmond Madison county thread.

Jeepken 11-21-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazed (Post 886819)
Jiggwater was awesome! I posted some pics in the KY forum under the Richmond Madison county thread.

Loved the pics!

Do you have any more info, directions, link?

I may be interested in taking ol' blue down there. He's totally stock though except for Duratracs, and I'm a wheelin' newbie, so I'd need something fairly easy to start.

Fazed 11-21-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepken (Post 887771)
Loved the pics!

I may be interested in taking ol' blue down there. He's totally stock though except for Duratracs, and I'm a wheelin' newbie, so I'd need something fairly easy to start.

PM Moscoeb. He lives down there and can do better with road names and such. Check back in the Lexington/richmond thread as we go out wheeling a lot (we're firemen so we have a lot of days off). I am hoping we can get something more organized where people can plan it, and have a good turnout when we do go.

benaldridgejr 11-21-2010 05:51 PM

Yeah guys we need to plan a Jiggwater run. Sundays are the only available day for me tho :( this last time me and a couple buddies went was very spur of the moment/last minute. And MAN did we find a mudhole! Next sunday could prob happen,after noon... Any takers? I could round up the locals..

Mike750 11-21-2010 09:36 PM

Where is jiggwater located?

moscoeb 11-21-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepken

Loved the pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike750
Where is jiggwater located?

It's off maplegrove rd off tates creek in Richmond. Just past the newby store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benaldridgejr
Yeah guys we need to plan a Jiggwater run. Sundays are the only available day for me tho :( this last time me and a couple buddies went was very spur of the moment/last minute. And MAN did we find a mudhole! Next sunday could prob happen,after noon... Any takers? I could round up the locals..

I'll talk to the boss, we are planning a bonfire later that evening. We could probably go for few hours this coming Sunday.

benaldridgejr 11-22-2010 06:37 AM

Sounds good! Keep us posted. Ill spread the word. Thanks!

Jeepken 11-22-2010 09:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm out of town Sunday, but I'll try to get down there sometime.

moscoeb 11-22-2010 07:01 PM

Sounds like this Sunday is a go also. Meet around 1:30-2:00 at the end of jiggwater. Of you need directions or want to meet someplace else, just let me know! All are welcome. We usually run on CB channel 13.

benaldridgejr 11-22-2010 07:11 PM

Sounds perfect! It will be 2 most likely before i get out to there. Man i cant wait already! Lol.

McBear 11-22-2010 08:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I will work on sunday to escape.

benaldridgejr 11-26-2010 12:24 PM

Its official!! I have 4-5 jeeps comin, and a lifted Ranger comin! So i hope to see all yall there!! By the way, so we meeting at the end of Jiggwater rd?? Or is there another Jiggwater rd/ area im not aware of??