Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Sad time of year (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/sad-time-of-year-66312.html)

VVCG33 10-23-2010 01:24 PM

Sad time of year
 
It's that time of year again...Just had to put on the hardtop and put the soft top in the basement. I guess its for the best since it has already snowed quite a bit here

catITguy 10-23-2010 01:38 PM

That is sad. Ive been putting that day off. Another few weeks though, and I will be out of excuses. On the bright side.....it means I can go play in the snow (with the jeep, duh!).

wolfen 10-23-2010 01:56 PM

AT least you guys have hard tops and garages to put em in, some of use keep the soft top over the winter too. But its not all that bad, here is does manage to get into the 60's in December :)

Wally Meyers 10-23-2010 01:59 PM

:wavey: I have what is called PMS. Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. Hard to get frost off the windshield to see where I'm driving at 0700 while I'm heading home and into the sun. But I'd better get to taping up the holes under my Wrangler before the rear tires throw snow and salt up inside the rear fenders. Poor design.

Atthehop 10-23-2010 02:01 PM

I hated the hard top so much on my YJ that when I ordered my TJ I just said NO. Been through 5 winters and all is fine.

wolfen 10-23-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally Meyers (Post 836489)
:wavey: I have what is called PMS. Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. Hard to get frost off the windshield to see where I'm driving at 0700 while I'm heading home and into the sun. But I'd better get to taping up the holes under my Wrangler before the rear tires throw snow and salt up inside the rear fenders. Poor design.

You have holes in the Wrangler? I have a solution for ya a welder and sheet metal

Owen_TJ 10-23-2010 02:22 PM

I agree...

i've had my hardtop (all i have currently) off for the last 3 weeks and walked out of work today n just sighed cause i had forgotten i put the top back on...

stupid rain and snow

VVCG33 10-23-2010 03:25 PM

I need to have a hard top or I would have to run outside every couple of hours to brush the snow off the top. The ski resort I live next to has 2 1/2 feet of snow already!

1991 Wrangler YJ Renegade 10-23-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen (Post 836486)
AT least you guys have hard tops and garages to put em in, some of use keep the soft top over the winter too. But its not all that bad, here is does manage to get into the 60's in December :)

I know right! LOL! I don't have a hard top, cause I don't NEED one! Not to mention I don't have the space to store one anyway as well! I'll be running the soft top all winter long as it is now (with no windows)!

First Florida winter with the Jeep! Looking forward to it! Hopefully, in the 50 degree weather, my friends will stop asking me for free rides in my 11mpg monster!
:rofl:

VVCG33 10-23-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1991 Wrangler YJ Renegade (Post 836582)
I know right! LOL! I don't have a hard top, cause I don't NEED one! Not to mention I don't have the space to store one anyway as well! I'll be running the soft top all winter long as it is now (with no windows)!

First Florida winter with the Jeep! Looking forward to it! Hopefully, in the 50 degree weather, my friends will stop asking me for free rides in my 11mpg monster!
:rofl:

I just throw my hardtop behind the woodpile in my backyard. The dogs like it and it doesn't hog space in my basement.

robbiecc 10-23-2010 06:03 PM

bought a soft top a month ago and 'had' to put it on. Now it's gettin to be time to put the hard top back on. Saw on-line how to remove the HT using rachet straps over the garage rafters. Now that the time is gettin close to put the HT back on i got to wondering how to lower the top--rachet straps only 'rachet' in 1 direction(up)
should be interesting as i don't really have anyone to help

Wally Meyers 10-24-2010 12:04 AM

:wavey: But I shouldn't have holes. It's a 2010 JKU with about 6800 miles on it.

toxictv 10-24-2010 12:54 AM

Lucky. I'm going to have to brave my first winter with a soft top. =x At least it's a brand new one..shouldn't be too bad.

cork1958 10-24-2010 06:41 AM

Exactly why when I was looking for a Jeep to buy, it HAD to have a hard top. Michigan winters can get ridiculous!

Hard top is easy as heck to remove and replace with just me and the kid.

Got rid of my leaky winter beater car, which HAD to be parked in the garage otherwise I wound up with an ice rink under my feet in winter time. Jeep is now parked in garage staying all warm and cozy. Don't drive it all the time in winter, but do every once in a while. Have another winter beater car that I'm more willing to let get all salted and sanded this time of year.

ESP 10-24-2010 07:07 AM

I just traded in my hardtop for a soft top and now I'm about to have my first winter with my Jeep. Hope all goes well...I love the soft top to much to have kept the hard. NC winters only get bad for a short period if they even do that.

wolfen 10-24-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxictv (Post 837347)
Lucky. I'm going to have to brave my first winter with a soft top. =x At least it's a brand new one..shouldn't be too bad.

Look at the bright side, at least your in Conway, I spent time 13 miles up trace ridge in Searcy Co before it was paved, back when the Archie creek used to wash the low water away every winter, and believe me those trees out there folding over the road would rip a hard top off let alone a soft top

robbiecc 10-24-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiecc (Post 836704)
Saw on-line how to remove the HT using rachet straps over the garage rafters. Now that the time is gettin close to put the HT back on i got to wondering how to lower the top--rachet straps only 'rachet' in 1 direction(up)
should be interesting as i don't really have anyone to help

Well, the rachet straps worked pretty good-was able to loosen em a few inches at a time (took top to ceiling)and went well except for the few 'rookie mistakes' like not removing the hold down screws b4 i put the top on top of them and the windsheild clips on the outside:banghead:. but spending $12 for 4 straps instead of $140 for the real lift, sure i'll get the hang of it with practice. ST came off pretty easy and now all bundled up(hanging from same straps)and out of the way. was a sad day-- once the rain stopped and the sun came out it was beautiful out but i know it won't last and glad it got it done---bring on winter(looking to 'play' in the snow)

VVCG33 10-24-2010 10:14 PM

I was thinking of using ratchet straps or those little red hooks you can screw into the wall to hang the soft top up. We'll see how it goes

Heythere 10-24-2010 10:15 PM

I just bought a '97 as my first car. Got it on Tuesday but was able to take the top off only on Wednesday. By Thursday it was pouring rain and has been everyday since then. Too bad I'll have to wait a few months before I can take it off again. Sad sad time of the year!

doclouie 10-24-2010 11:21 PM

Well it was almost 70 in Moab yesterday and even the mid 60s on the days it rained there. The hard top will have to go on, but I am hoping for another month yet.

Gate53 10-24-2010 11:29 PM

Hardtop humm don't own one don't want one.

Darth Vader 10-25-2010 02:49 AM

Funny, I have a hard and soft top, and am going to sell the softie first chance I get because I never use it. First thing to come off the Jeep after I bought it. Highway driving is already obnoxiously loud, why would I want it any louder? :eek:

VVCG33 10-25-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 838704)
Well it was almost 70 in Moab yesterday and even the mid 60s on the days it rained there. The hard top will have to go on, but I am hoping for another month yet.

I take the top off when it is 60 degrees! :eek:

UnlimitedLJ04 10-25-2010 07:53 AM

its not a sad time of the year - its a great time when you put the hard top on. it means snowboarding season is coming :punk:

WahooWolfe 10-25-2010 08:00 AM

Interesting, I don't have any of these Hardtop vs Softtop issues in Florida. :) Been going topless and hope to not have to put the top up just a few times this winter.

Sorry to be obnoxious...............

TerrorJ2001 10-25-2010 08:35 AM

SAD?!?!?!

IT'S SNOWBOARDING SEASON!

get your flask and hit some slopes!!!

VVCG33 10-25-2010 01:32 PM

By sad I meant for the Jeep. But playing in the snow is fun. The only reason i like summer is because I can go topless and/or doorless. Winter Is my favorite season (besides our Vermont mud season) Snowboarding, Christmas, my birthday, Celtics games etc.

wolfen 10-25-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WahooWolfe (Post 839123)
Interesting, I don't have any of these Hardtop vs Softtop issues in Florida. :) Been going topless and hope to not have to put the top up just a few times this winter.

Sorry to be obnoxious...............

Your not being obnoxious unless you step on Jimmy Buffets flip flop in Margarita ville :)

Melissas6570 10-25-2010 06:25 PM

I hate that for all of you. But its the best time here.LOL

snobrder540 10-25-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrorJ2001 (Post 839147)
SAD?!?!?!

IT'S SNOWBOARDING SEASON!

get your flask and hit some slopes!!!

HELLLLL yeah!!!:punk: don't forget the :blunt:.

yeah i'm putting off putting the hard top on till probably thanksgiving. it's gana be 76 here tomorrow so of corse the tj will be topless! :punk: i'll hold off as long as i can just hoping for a warm day to take the soft top off.

I do need to find a roof rack to put on the hard top so i can go snowboarding with more than 2 other people. this is my first winter with the tj and i'm guesstimating that i prob cann't fit more than 2 other people's boards and gear plus mine in the jeep without a rack. anyone got some insite?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.