Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   a little help on a yj (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/a-little-help-on-a-yj-66489.html)

youdaman 10-24-2010 09:16 PM

a little help on a yj

first off, this is my first post of many :wavey:

ive been looking at theis yj for about a week and got him down to 4800 from 5800. its in great condition with original series master craft seats the only problem is it just feels squirrely and almost unresponsive, when i really get on it going about 50 it wants to go all over the place. i think its because the guy who had it before put a 4 in body lift with some 35 in tires and didnt get them aligned or neglected to put in a steering stabilizer. its a 94 with 120000 miles. what do you guys think about this price and how do i fix that problem?

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...e86d41deb9.jpg

ammoniaman 10-24-2010 09:21 PM

Don't buy it!

youdaman 10-24-2010 09:29 PM

everything else is great, and i cant find another :(

Matcheen 10-24-2010 09:33 PM

4" body lift.?.?read the posts on body lifts and stay away...unless you want to drop the body and lift the suspension...

Matcheen 10-24-2010 09:34 PM

looks like a shackel lift too...

turdhurdler 10-24-2010 09:36 PM

The unresponsivness would make me cautious. If it has a body lift of 4", that is way too much. I think the biggest I have seen is 3 and to me that is overkill. It looks to have a shackle lift on it with lift springs, maybe giving it just over 4" lift. The paint appears to be fading badly on the hood and front fender.

For the bad steering, it could be as easy as an alignment and stabalizer. See if the seller is willing to have that part taken care of as part of the deal. You did not mention what motor and trans you have. If it is the 2.5 4 cyl, I say pass. You should be able to find a 4.0 for the asking price.

Jeff

yjkid95 10-24-2010 09:38 PM

I think you mean a suspension lift look at those springs and shackles. Those are not stock and it doesnt look like theres a bodylift on it. It looks like a 4 inch spring lift with some larger shackles to me. Maybe a 2 inch shackle lift. The shackle lift is most likely your problem with it getting a little squirrley at 50 mph. I like to call them death fangs. Get smaller shackles on it at the most a 1 inch lift shackle. Boomerangs in the bag would help with articulation.

youdaman 10-24-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler (Post 838488)
The unresponsivness would make me cautious. If it has a body lift of 4", that is way too much. I think the biggest I have seen is 3 and to me that is overkill. It looks to have a shackle lift on it with lift springs, maybe giving it just over 4" lift. The paint appears to be fading badly on the hood and front fender.

For the bad steering, it could be as easy as an alignment and stabalizer. See if the seller is willing to have that part taken care of as part of the deal. You did not mention what motor and trans you have. If it is the 2.5 4 cyl, I say pass. You should be able to find a 4.0 for the asking price.

Jeff

its a 6 cyl and im planning on getting it painted black asap (how much do you think it will be). the best way to describe my problem is when at speeds around 40-60 it just maked me nervous by sliding either way without me moving the wheel too much. its hard to explain, and im not saying it swerves by the foot but just a gradual drift. how much would it be to replace the shackle lift with a suspension lift and put in steering stabalization? thanks!

youdaman 10-24-2010 09:43 PM

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...t2473940PM.jpg

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...e8b190130e.jpg

turdhurdler 10-24-2010 09:50 PM

Here is a link for shackles. The replacement job is very easy to do yourself. And yes, after seeing a side view of the shackles, I say get rid of them. Rolling death trap. If you go to smaller shackles, you may have to reduce your tires to 33s, which is still enough to get you pretty much anywhere you want to go and if you are running a Dana 35 rear and 30 front, will make your axles live longer.

Shackles - Quadratec

Jeff

yjkid95 10-24-2010 09:52 PM

Or he could keep the 35's by opening up the rear wheel well for more clearance and getting some mce flatties or tube fenders.

youdaman 10-24-2010 10:04 PM

so id be good to go if i took out those huge shackles and put in 1 in shackles? should i do anything with suspension kits or steering stabilization?

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...24100037PM.jpg

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...tchum/-1-1.jpg

yjkid95 10-24-2010 10:10 PM

Yes but check to see what axles are on there. Ask him what gears are in it. There should be 4.88 gears and a dana 44 or ford 8.8 in the rear to support the 35's. The 4.88 gears would restore the lost power from the larger tires the dana 44 or 8.8 to support the added weight and strain on the axle.

benaldridgejr 10-24-2010 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like it! Just trade out those shackles with some 1" boomerangs from Rough Country, and you shouldnt lose much hight at all. As for the death wobble.. Get a GOOD steering stabilizer. I had the same prob. Fixed it.

benaldridgejr 10-24-2010 10:47 PM

Oh! And besides... I have a 2.5L 4banger yall and whooped up on a 4.2L and a 4.0L....!!!! 4low and baby goes!

4Jeepn 10-24-2010 10:55 PM

Few things. Why is the spare MT shown on the jeep and on the tire carrier? If those are 35'sx12.50 they you need to consider new rims as I would bet your getting some rubbing at full turn with those rims. As for the issues at speed could be any number of things, wheel out of balance, alignment off, and the total lift.

Maxxrus08 10-24-2010 11:14 PM

Yea... i just got my jeep too and around 60 to 70 i got a wobble...The stabilizer is stock and needs to be replace. I figure that is my problem since i only have a 2 in Rancho lift with a 1 in Body lift on 32's. Look at replacing that first.

Thuone 10-25-2010 10:00 AM

Where in FL are you?
Looks like a nice Jeep, I bought and '87 2 years ago for 3,600 from a private seller with similar miles. The drifting could be a few things but I would start with the beaver teeth. Good luck and enjoy!

Clawed95Riogrande 10-25-2010 02:28 PM

I say give the jeep a chance.

The chances of the shackles causing the Jeep to steer improperly is extremely low. However those shackles are dangerously long. If you run shackles with too much length, then your pinion angle will be incorrect causing all kinds of pretty bad driveline problems. Also, that Jeep does not have a body lift. Judging by the pics it has 4in suspension and 2in shackles.

As for your steering problem, it is definetly within the steering system (suprise!!) Assuming that the normal causes of steering problems have been addressed (tires balanced, aligned properly, etc) and the problem persists, it's time to replace some parts. Start with an aftermarket steering stabilizer. If it still has problems replace the tie-rod and drag link assemblies (might as well upgrade to aftermarket heavy duty replacements :) That will most likely solve your problem. If it doesn't thats when the $$ starts adding up. Steering box, steering column u joints, etc. Let's just hope you don't have to go that far.

Ibuildembig 10-25-2010 02:38 PM

I've never seen a Sahara with a 2.5

A stabilizer is neither the cause or the solution of death wobble

There are only 2 things on a YJ that can make it DW...tires and steering box...trackbar and stabilizer are not even necessary to make it drive.

Best thing to do is try to make it drive right the way it is, if you cannot and wanna change everything...do a spring over axle conversion and don't look back

All sahara green paint fades no matter where you are in the world...its just a sahara jeep thing.

youdaman 10-25-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 839881)
I've never seen a Sahara with a 2.5

A stabilizer is neither the cause or the solution of death wobble

There are only 2 things on a YJ that can make it DW...tires and steering box...trackbar and stabilizer are not even necessary to make it drive.

Best thing to do is try to make it drive right the way it is, if you cannot and wanna change everything...do a spring over axle conversion and don't look back

All sahara green paint fades no matter where you are in the world...its just a sahara jeep thing.

sorry, i should have made myself clearer. its not death wobble and its not a body lift. the problem is a drift and the jeep altogether feels unstable on the road and feels stiff off the road. i believe ill put in a good steering stabilizer (any suggestions?) and the shackles and replace them with 1 in boomerang shackles and maybe a suspension kit or nothing at all. after ill that ill get the tires aligned. do you think thats a good approach to the problem? thanks for the input guys!

4Jeepn 10-25-2010 07:14 PM

I have a 4" lift on mine stock no track bars and no sway bar.. No issues on the highway going 65mph, so I would say its a simple fix of time and money for yours. I would however run the vin just to check.

RSC17 10-25-2010 07:14 PM

gotta be the shackles or bad tires.

Square_Eyes 10-25-2010 07:30 PM

I know the feeling your getting in the steering, when I got my yj it did the same thing so I bought an upgraded steering linkage and new stablizer and that got rid of most of it, I was afraid to drive mine for a few weeks till I got that done and it tightened up 100% looks like a really nice yj though

yjkid95 10-25-2010 07:44 PM

If its a drift its probably just a bad alignment.

Clawed95Riogrande 10-25-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youdaman

sorry, i should have made myself clearer. its not death wobble and its not a body lift. the problem is a drift and the jeep altogether feels unstable on the road and feels stiff off the road. i believe ill put in a good steering stabilizer (any suggestions?) and the shackles and replace them with 1 in boomerang shackles and maybe a suspension kit or nothing at all. after ill that ill get the tires aligned. do you think thats a good approach to the problem? thanks for the input guys!

Alignment first and don't worry about a suspension system (unless you were already planning on Suspension mods)
Otherwise good approach!

birdhunter 10-25-2010 10:01 PM

What psi are your tires
they look over inflated
let some air out

benaldridgejr 10-25-2010 10:25 PM

Good update thread, yeah, have the tire store check your alignment, condition of the front end parts.,tires and psi. Stiff ride is most likely the high psi and/or the shackles being over torqued. At home/wherever, try adjusting your air to 30-35psi. Jack up the jeep one end at a timeand take some wrenches and loosen the shackles a few turns, set it down and torque to like 40lbs (or a light push/pull not much) see what happens. The unstability i think is still the stabilzer if a bad tire isnt found. Big tires on my stockish jeep was like driving a car made of jello till i got a new stabilizer.. Good luck! Love the jeep. Buy it, fix it later!!

Walkingstick 10-25-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youdaman

its a 6 cyl and im planning on getting it painted black asap (how much do you think it will be). the best way to describe my problem is when at speeds around 40-60 it just maked me nervous by sliding either way without me moving the wheel too much. its hard to explain, and im not saying it swerves by the foot but just a gradual drift. how much would it be to replace the shackle lift with a suspension lift and put in steering stabalization? thanks!

How wide are the tires