Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Would you put your 16 year old daughter in a Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/would-you-put-your-16-year-old-daughter-in-a-jeep-66514.html)

terminator012 10-24-2010 11:12 PM

Would you put your 16 year old daughter in a Jeep

My daughter is 14 right now. She is really wanting a jeep when she turns 16.

There is no way I can put her in a new 2012 or 2013, The budget will call for a used one.

My question is, would you trust a used one for your daughter. We are talking stock here. I am thinking a 2008 or so 4 door would be safer than a 2 door for an inexperienced driver. I got to start figuring now for a vehicle for her.

I would love to hear your thoughts because i am all ready planning.

jdhallissey 10-24-2010 11:24 PM

I would toss her in a TJ. Great reliable vehicle cheap and somewhat easy to fix if it does break :)

IndyJeepMan 10-24-2010 11:29 PM

Yeah I'd go sub 2004! 08 is too new lol.

A TJ even YJ would prolly be fine!

cpainter56 10-24-2010 11:31 PM

Yeah forget that four door mess they aren't any safer, get her a newer model TJ, with full steel doors. They have airbags just like the new ones, and they are much cheaper and much more reliable. Likelihood of a roll is based on the height of the center of gravity. Anything over a two inch lift I would stay away from, 31x10.5 tires are the biggest I'd go as well.

Ageless Stranger 10-24-2010 11:36 PM

She did fine mudding your TJ. :)

But I have to say no on the basis that no one family (Dwelling in the same home) should be allowed to have 3 Jeeps. :p

navret 10-24-2010 11:40 PM

not sure about the tj, they had a narrower wheelbase and seem to roll even when stock. that being said i let my two daughters learn how to drive in my 08 4 dr sahara. only concern with a jk is lack of side protection.

jdhallissey 10-24-2010 11:41 PM

Honestly to roll a jeep with a lift and bigger tires is pretty difficult. Wider tires balances the effect of going taller. Full doors or half are just the same in a safety aspect. Any TJ has the same amount of air bags.

jdhallissey 10-24-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navret (Post 838849)
not sure about the tj, they had a narrower wheelbase and seem to roll even when stock. that being said i let my two daughters learn how to drive in my 08 4 dr sahara. only concern with a jk is lack of side protection.

How much more side protection would you like?! There is more side protection in the jeep then and suv/car out there. The metal might look thin on a jeep but with the FULL METAL frame and the way the tub is shaped they are actually very safe. Even more safe if you put on rock sliders.

terminator012 10-24-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navret (Post 838849)

That is my concern with a TJ, SWB and a roll over. At normal speeds that would not be a problem, but weren't we all teen agers once. I am thinking the wheel base of a 4 door JK would be better. I know the side airbags and everything would be better, but I can't but her a tank, although I would like too,
She wants a 2 door but mom says H--L no.

Ageless Stranger 10-24-2010 11:58 PM

I wouldn't put a 16 year old in anything that new. But a lot of parents do. In the end, you guys will do what you feel is best for your daughter.

terminator012 10-25-2010 12:00 AM

Do you have a CJ for sale???????

Owen_TJ 10-25-2010 12:04 AM

zero chance...

She's gonna wreck it, gonna be costly in gas for you cause theres no way she's gonna pay for it, and just not a vehicle i'd put a 16 year old girl in (let alone any 16 year old).

Get a used car for sure.

Example: My cousin turned 16 last year. She was really wanting a nicer vehicle and pleaded with my aunt and uncle to get her an older used car cause shes gonna wreck it somehow. They got her a 2002 grand am (which i thought was still too nice) and she's wrecked it a few times and they're now in the market for another car.

Granted this was just my situation, but when it boils down to it...its a girls first car and stuff is gonna happen. Definitely wouldnt put her in one.

AzTJ 10-25-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 838835)
But I have to say no on the basis that no one family (Dwelling in the same home) should be allowed to have 3 Jeeps. :p

I have three in the driveway... and a fourth on the the side of the house. ;)

Gate53 10-25-2010 12:44 AM

This is my 15 yo son wheelin my TJ His sister does the same thing of course They do it offroad before I let them contend with traffic. Just click on the pic. If your worried about speed put her in a 4 popper.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...9-5-102088.jpg

InfernoGirl 10-25-2010 07:15 AM

Pick up truck. She can't haul as many friends, so fewer distractions while she's learning to deal with driving in traffic, etc.

TerrorJ2001 10-25-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ (Post 838898)
zero chance...

She's gonna wreck it, gonna be costly in gas for you cause theres no way she's gonna pay for it, and just not a vehicle i'd put a 16 year old girl in (let alone any 16 year old).

Get a used car for sure.

Example: My cousin turned 16 last year. She was really wanting a nicer vehicle and pleaded with my aunt and uncle to get her an older used car cause shes gonna wreck it somehow. They got her a 2002 grand am (which i thought was still too nice) and she's wrecked it a few times and they're now in the market for another car.

Granted this was just my situation, but when it boils down to it...its a girls first car and stuff is gonna happen. Definitely wouldnt put her in one.

My first car was a 2000 grand am. I wrecked it. Needless to say my mindset at that time- I would of ended up wrecking any car that was my first. All of that freedom is sometimes a bit much to take in for a 16 yr old to pay attention to the road. Back then, I had no blackberry or ipod to be fumbling with as well.

I say, go practical, get a car that goes from A-B, then whent he time is right get her the Jeep.

harwa004 10-25-2010 07:39 AM

I wanted a CJ when I turned 16. There was one down the street that was "perfect" (in my mind). Dad refused. In hindsight, he was a smart man. I'd put her in something like an old volvo....

N39-W120 10-25-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 839131)
Pick up truck. She can't haul as many friends, so fewer distractions while she's learning to deal with driving in traffic, etc.

Concur... Standard cab pick-up.... My daughter is 17 and can't drive the lawnmower with out wrecking, ya think I would put her in a Jeep? BUT each kid is at a different level of maturity and you as the parent have to be the judge of that....

jebby 10-25-2010 07:56 AM

lucky gal lol.... i got a tank of gas from my mom when I (me, myself) bought my POS 300 year old dakota for 700 bucks..... sure did take care of that thing. cuz i understood that after gas and insurance i couldnt aford to replace it.....

love the idea of a truck (no back seat lots of mass) just not 4x2.... dont miss that in the winter.

Peepers 10-25-2010 08:07 AM

My first car was a 97 dodge ram 2500 extended cab long bed. That was my tank. it had a radio and a tape deck, and would only go over 85 down a hill with the wind at your back on a good day. With all the technology out there now adays, the less there is to play with in the car the better. I would defiantly make sure there was no way to hook a music player up to the radio, but at least let her have a cd player. The less people she can carry in the car the better, although since I've been driving, I've been able to pack 10 people into an extended cab...

Also, Iíve hit my truck into 4 different stationary objects doing various amounts of body damage (they all could have been avoided if I was more patient or didn't like doing doughnuts soo much ;))

Itís your call, but I would defiantly go with something older, at least as a first car. I only got my license 7 years ago come January, and when youíre learning to drive, the less distractions there are, the better.

yj-genral 10-25-2010 08:10 AM

i had a ten year old (at the time) honda crx 4banger when i was 16 (two seater) and i drove that thing like a race car... :D only had two accidents in it though, i loved that car.

i dont see why a 2dr is so much worse than a 4dr... or safer for that matter. and i would definitely not put her in anything 6 years young... a jeep would be awesome as a first car, but only in a responsible kid (relatively) and if you are concerned about side impact why are you so intent on a jeep? granted they are safe but how is a 4dr safer than a 2dr on side impact?

4Jeepn 10-25-2010 08:13 AM

Few things here. A TJ does not just roll over. I have had 4 of them. Never felt in any driving situation it was going to roll over. I even took one lifted unconnected on blood mtn in GA, if you know the road you know it has some sharp turns.. Again no problems. I also walked away from a wreck with when a semi truck it me. They have a frame, they sit higher they have a roll bar and airbags. They are as safe as they can be. As for putting a 1st time driver in one, it depends on the kid.

But they can have issues in any car, jeep truck etc. I would not put them in a full size pickup, just too big for a 1st time driver, that and in wet conditions the ass end may come out of it and fish tall. The biggest issue I see with a 16yr girl and a jeep is 18 year old boys. Thus I would look for a 2000-04 full door and auto for her 6cly as the 4 auto is slow and if she need to get on a highway fast, ain't going to be a good thing.

WahooWolfe 10-25-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwa004 (Post 839149)
I wanted a CJ when I turned 16. There was one down the street that was "perfect" (in my mind). Dad refused. In hindsight, he was a smart man. I'd put her in something like an old volvo....

Wisdom here. Just a couple of years back here in Apopka Florida, a parent had purchased a Wrangler for their daughter. She had 3 friends in the vehicle, over corrected on a sweeping turn on the road, flipped it and killed two of the girls. Wranglers are great for experienced drivers but I would not want my new driver child driving a new Jeep.

My .02..................

Gate53 10-25-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WahooWolfe (Post 839194)
Wisdom here. Just a couple of years back here in Apopka Florida, a parent had purchased a Wrangler for their daughter. She had 3 friends in the vehicle, over corrected on a sweeping turn on the road, flipped it and killed two of the girls. Wranglers are great for experienced drivers but I would not want my new driver child driving a new Jeep.

My .02..................

Please don't take this the wrong way but I don't understand how you can blame the Jeep. We see that very thing happen and with the same results every year across the nation around the time of highschool graduation and the type of vehicle is never mentioned unless it's a Jeep, which it most of the time not. My kids are and have learned to deal with the Jeep offroad before they get out on the highway and contend with the crazies. I can't find a better teaching tool than low and slow for them to find out how their vehicle handles and how to control it. Those two (handling and control) things are the basis of a good onroad driver. I only wish more people could be taught that way before I have to deal with them onroad. As some have said it depends on the child and to that I agree 100%. But, a child not given responsibility seldom gains it on their own.

Walkingstick 10-25-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminator012
My daughter is 14 right now. She is really wanting a jeep when she turns 16.

There is no way I can put her in a new 2012 or 2013, The budget will call for a used one.

My question is, would you trust a used one for your daughter. We are talking stock here. I am thinking a 2008 or so 4 door would be safer than a 2 door for an inexperienced driver. I got to start figuring now for a vehicle for her.

I would love to hear your thoughts because i am all ready planning.

A four door has bigger blindspots. Shell be fine in a TJ or earlier model two door.

Walkingstick 10-25-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navret

It's all based on: driving habits, and suspension/shock absorbers.

Walkingstick 10-25-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate53

Please don't take this the wrong way but I don't understand how you can blame the Jeep. We see that very thing happen and with the same results every year across the nation around the time of highschool graduation and the type of vehicle is never mentioned unless it's a Jeep, which it most of the time not. My kids are and have learned to deal with the Jeep offroad before they get out on the highway and contend with the crazies. I can't find a better teaching tool than low and slow for them to find out how their vehicle handles and how to control it. Those two (handling and control) things are the basis of a good onroad driver. I only wish more people could be taught that way before I have to deal with them onroad. As some have said it depends on the child and to that I agree 100%. But, a child not given responsibility seldom gains it on their own.

X2

Not the vehicles fault... It was human error(over correction on turn).

Super easy vehicle to flip is a Ford Expedition... O.o

jgorm 10-25-2010 10:10 AM

I would say NO WAY. I've driven my jeep around a off camber corner on a rough road and when the tires jump and then catch its pretty scary. I could flip a jeep in a second if there was some sort of incentive. Now if the girl knows driving at the limit, like go cart racing, or has tons of experience driving other vehicles at the limit, then i would trust her. When my daughter turns 16 (in 16 years!) I'll buy her a crappy honda civic.

aelwero 10-25-2010 10:21 AM

my 13 year old has less responsibility than my 6 year old :rolleyes: ...

IF i get her a car, it'll be an early 80's road yacht... Delta, Caprice, LTD, something that wieghs in the 6-7K lb range... maybe I'll even paint it school bus yellow and add a bunch of really gross looking lights too, just for a laugh...

Ibuildembig 10-25-2010 10:25 AM

My sis had a YJ when she was 16...it all depends on the kid.

If you wanna put her in a jeep, YJ all the way. They drive better, no death wobble concerns, parts are cheap