Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   help with exhaust (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/help-with-exhaust-66842.html)

Redjeepmormon 10-27-2010 02:38 PM

help with exhaust

hey jeepers!! :wavey:

So about 2 years ago I had flowmasters (40 series) and took it out recently due to the headaches. It was just too loud for me.

Well I then replaced it with stock exhaust. I just found out I have a leak and other problems with it so I now have an excuse to buy a new exhaust :punk:

Now here is where you jeepers come in.

I am looking for an exhaust that's deep sounding, relatively affordable, and above all NOT SUPER LOUD.

Please help!! I need to make a decision sometime this week!!!

Thanks in advance :D

Owen_TJ 10-27-2010 05:34 PM

Magnaflow has always been my choice...

Gives you a nice sound without being loud. Also has an actual tone to it instead of just ugly annoying

Eagleman06 10-27-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ
Magnaflow has always been my choice...

Gives you a nice sound without being loud. Also has an actual tone to it instead of just ugly annoying

I love my magnaflow. Had it for about a year and couldn't be happier. And it was only $125 installed.

billy_YJ 10-27-2010 06:24 PM

Great topic... I hope more folks weigh in with suggestions.

I have factory exhaust, but would like to upgrade. I've had flowmasters before on other vehicles, but I want something deep sounding that doesn't scream "CHEAP" or "HIGH SCHOOL" when I drive by... ya know?

Eagleman06 10-27-2010 06:35 PM

The magnaflow has a great tone. It's nice and deep not loud and annoying. It will sometimes drone a little with the doors off but that may be because I am running a turn down tip right off the muffler.

Owen_TJ 10-27-2010 06:39 PM

I've put magnaflow on each of my last vehicles...

Magnaflow muffler and cat on my blazer, pair of magnaflow mufflers (not fart cans) a magnaflow resonator and tips on my last car, and now a magnaflow muffler on my 2.5L

I think magnaflow has the best sound. Its clean, has a great tone, and isnt a cheap sounding loud can. Sounds great...

I vote magnaflow again lol...you wont be disappointed!

Redjeepmormon 10-27-2010 07:26 PM

Please post websites and what exactly you would buy! Thanks for all the replies btw :)

Eagleman06 10-27-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redjeepmormon
Please post websites and what exactly you would buy! Thanks for all the replies btw :)

I just went to a local muffler shop and told him that I wanted a magnaflow. They actually recommended it over the flowmaster anyways.

Redjeepmormon 10-27-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleman06

I just went to a local muffler shop and told him that I wanted a magnaflow. They actually recommended it over the flowmaster anyways.

Do you recommend a place? I went to Midas or both my exhausts and it look like a 2 year old did it lol seriously

Owen_TJ 10-27-2010 07:50 PM

I ordered part number 12255 for my 2.5L and welded that muffler in place of my stock...not sure what size exhaust pipe is on the 4L though since mines a 2.5

i got mine from an ebay store sellin them new...i'll post a link to one similar where you can just offer like i did (got mine 67 shipped) but the site i got everything for both my other vehicles was Magnaflow Exhaust Systems And Performance Mufflers - Justmagnaflow.com

Here an ebay site to offer....

MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER 5" X 8" 18" BODY 2-1/4" C/O 12255: eBay Motors (item 320550304032 end time Nov-14-10 20:55:31 PST)

Eagleman06 10-27-2010 07:50 PM

I would never go to a chain place like Midas. Look for a locally owned muffler shop. They usually do a much better job and are proud of their work.

Redjeepmormon 10-27-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleman06
I would never go to a chain place like Midas. Look for a locally owned muffler shop. They usually do a much better job and are proud of their work.

Thanks man. I learned that lesson the hard way

Owen_TJ 10-27-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleman06 (Post 845077)

Agreed...

You'll get a much better quality job than somewhere like midas or any large chain shop.

Redjeepmormon 10-27-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

I've put magnaflow on each of my last vehicles...

Magnaflow muffler and cat on my blazer, pair of magnaflow mufflers (not fart cans) a magnaflow resonator and tips on my last car, and now a magnaflow muffler on my 2.5L

I think magnaflow has the best sound. Its clean, has a great tone, and isnt a cheap sounding loud can. Sounds great...

I vote magnaflow again lol...you wont be disappointed!

So with no doors and no top, will I be able to hear my radio fine?

Owen_TJ 10-27-2010 09:32 PM

Yes...

jeepjones 10-28-2010 03:50 AM

I've got a Magnaflow, 4" High Flow Cat and Banks torque tube headers and it sounds gnarly but not obnoxious or cheap, in the bush in low gear it's wicked. I have heard the flowmaster 50 series mufflers,they are deep toned but I've only heard them on V8's.

abw0004 10-28-2010 09:36 AM

I have a MBRP exhaust and love it. It is quiet on the highway and was relatively cheap

Redjeepmormon 10-28-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

I ordered part number 12255 for my 2.5L and welded that muffler in place of my stock...not sure what size exhaust pipe is on the 4L though since mines a 2.5

i got mine from an ebay store sellin them new...i'll post a link to one similar where you can just offer like i did (got mine 67 shipped) but the site i got everything for both my other vehicles was Magnaflow Exhaust Systems And Performance Mufflers - Justmagnaflow.com

Here an ebay site to offer....

MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER 5" X 8" 18" BODY 2-1/4" C/O 12255: eBay Motors (item 320550304032 end time Nov-14-10 20:55:31 PST)

Hey man just one more question. I'm debating between

Magnaflow performance exhaust - $513.99

Or

Magnaflow ss performance exhaust system - $279.99

Do you or anyone know the difference?

hookuspookus 10-28-2010 11:23 AM

$234.00 differance

Redjeepmormon 10-28-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookuspookus
$234.00 differance

Lol I meant in parts/ performance. The only thing I could find is that idly gives you 10 more hp instead of 9 more hp.

Eagleman06 10-28-2010 11:43 AM

Your not gonna notice any gain in hp. Best this is just get a muffler welded in. Gonna be the same sound for around $150.

Redjeepmormon 10-28-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleman06 (Post 846338)
Your not gonna notice any gain in hp. Best this is just get a muffler welded in. Gonna be the same sound for around $150.

Ive gone that course before and yeah it's not a bad idea but... I would like to do the whole thing.

So do you guys know the difference between ss and regular? I'm assuming ss means like super street or something but I dont know. It's in my 4wd.com magazine. Please help! I need to make a decision by tomorrow.:eek:

Eagleman06 10-28-2010 12:16 PM

Ss maybe stands for stainless Steele. Not 100% on that tho

awcressey 10-28-2010 01:55 PM

I have a dynomax 40 and it sounds great, not to loud but has a nice rumble

KeeblerKO 10-29-2010 09:26 AM

Here's what's under my TJ:

MagnaFlow Cat
MagnaFlow 23227 - MagnaFlow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
Dynomax Performance 17340 - Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Sounds nice and mellow at idle. At really high RPM it's just a little "buzzy", but nowhere near like a ricer fart can.

Loic 10-29-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagleman06 (Post 846403)
Ss maybe stands for stainless Steele. Not 100% on that tho

Street Series ?!

Redjeepmormon 10-30-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loic (Post 849481)
Street Series ?!

maybe, but I talked to the guy at 4wd.com (it's in the magazine and it says it's exclusive to 4wd.com). He said the ONLY difference is that the cheaper one (ss) is made out of lesser quality material. He made a comparison of "if you get the more expensive one it's like your buying a nice luxury car, and if you get the cheaper one it's like you are buying a jeep." Despite how much I disagree with his comparison (jeeps are better than luxury cars IMO) he said that they are EXACTLY the same and he said "don't worry about it breaking on you, It's just that it could break easier than the expensive one". I asked him about sound quality, all the parts, the size, pretty much everything I could think of. HE SAID IT WOULD BE EXACTLY THE SAME JUST WORSE QUALITY MATERIAL. Now, I did order it (im on a strict budget and I need to make a decision quickly due to the giant hole in my exhaust), and this might be the wrong time to ask :crash:, but what to you guys think?

Cheaper one - Performance Exhaust System by Magnaflow and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

Higher priced one - Performance Exhaust by Magnaflow and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

Owen_TJ 10-30-2010 10:57 AM

I think you'll be just fine with the cheaper one...

Hell, all i did for my exhaust was cut the muffler out and weld a new magnaflow muffler in place!

Redjeepmormon 10-30-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ (Post 849878)
I think you'll be just fine with the cheaper one...

Hell, all i did for my exhaust was cut the muffler out and weld a new magnaflow muffler in place!

lol thanks man I think so too! :punk:

Ill let you guys all know how it is. Ill have it here on 11-4 and ill have it installed hopefully that day or the next week. :D

Redjeepmormon 11-05-2010 10:10 AM

UPDATE for those following this thread!!!

I'm at the shop right now getting it installed should have it back in about 2-3.5 hours. I'll let everyone know how it is!