Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   YJ/TJ Steering box (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/yj-tj-steering-box-66895.html)

TJeepman 10-27-2010 09:43 PM

YJ/TJ Steering box

I'm over in the TJ section with a steering box leakage problem. Thought I would pick your brains on putting new seals in the steering box. Here's the Thread and here's where I'm at in the process:
Quote:

October 26Th - Been raining most of the day and haven't had a chance to look at the steering box but got some prices:
- Dealer has new ones for over $800.00 wholesale (yes, that's the "trade Price") and they are on back order, have been for a while. Any seal kits have been discontinued.
- Carquest has a remanufactured unit for $463.00 with a lifetime warranty. They also have kits available $27.00 for the pitman arm end and $42.00 for a complete kit.
- Another parts supplier (local and quoting AutoLine parts) has a remanufactured unit for $360.00, one year warranty, no kits available.

I am guessing the pitman arm seal is the problem. Can that be serviced without taking out the whole steering box? I may try some Luas to see if it makes any difference as a first step. The unit takes ATF+4.

October 27 - Got another look at it today. It's not the pitman arm end that's leaking, it's the input (steering column) end that's leaking. Seal kit for that is about $20.00.
Anybody done the seal replacement themselves? I may try cleaning the area up and putting some Lucas in the reservoir first though.

October 27 - The worse part will be getting the steering box off which is what I have to do regardless of what approach I take.
Here's a site which shows a Saginaw steering box rebuild. Doesn't look that bad. I'm just concerned about the input shaft seals. There's a truck repair center not far away. They will likely have the tools if I don't. Their rate is like $50.00 /hr.
Still way better than a remanufactured one with one year warranty and costing over $350.00 or one from a junk yard that may fail the next day, I'm thinking.

jsawduste 10-28-2010 02:17 AM

Simple enough. Just do it.

jeepjones 10-28-2010 03:07 AM

Heck I've got a new one sitting in a box in my garage. Just go and get a new one.

jdhallissey 10-28-2010 03:18 AM

Run a durango box or buy the PSC box. I want to go hydro assist.

TJeepman 10-28-2010 11:25 AM

Stopped by at a truck repair center this morning. They do mostly work on their own vehicles, from passenger vehicles to heavy construction equipment, that are used in a very large landscaping business. Labor rate = $55.00 / hr.
They suggested complete replacement as they haven't had great luck with resealing due to the shafts being worn as well.

TJeepman 10-28-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 845757)
Run a durango box or buy the PSC box. I want to go hydro assist.

Durango (1998/99 318 ci) won't work directly for a 2003TJ and newer. Not Saginaw steering boxes on the TJ after 2002.