Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jeep getting serviced (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-getting-serviced-66941.html)

Schwheelz 10-28-2010 09:53 AM

Jeep getting serviced

Okay so i have 18000 miles on my jk and just took it in the other day to be serviced, they say the differential fluid needs to be replaced because theres water in the axle? Im confused can anyone enlighten me?

duker51 10-28-2010 10:12 AM

FAIL!! :bottom: Change it yourself for less than $20 and 20 minutes of your time. It's easy to do. No doubt they'll want $300 to change out your diff fluid. It'a a scam. Super easy to do. Check out the Diff fluid change how-to on the Project JK website.

Go Here:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hange-write-up

Peepers 10-28-2010 10:27 AM

You should stop fording rivers. or its possible you might have gotten some down your vent tube while wash your jeep, or a really heavy rain storm.

Hilldweller 10-28-2010 10:32 AM

Yes it's common to get water in there.
Yes you should change it yourself.
It's not really a dealership scam; they're just hideously expensive for the book hours spec'd on this service.

I change my diff fluid at every-other oil change as part of my PM schedule. Overkill maybe but it brings piece of mind and is that easy to do.

InfernoGirl 10-28-2010 11:38 AM

Ha! I had my oil changed the other day and they told me the same. I told him it had just been changed 3k miles ago, and he was dumbfounded that I even knew what a diff was, let alone that I was smart enough to get the fluid changed in it with out them telling me to.... Idiots. He also said my PS and transmission fluid need changing, but when I checked them my self they looked pretty darned good..... I hate maintenance shops sometimes.

But yea, if you've been playing in the water, then you likely need a change....

daggo66 10-28-2010 01:55 PM

Unless it's super contaminated, they can't tell there's water in it until it's drained.

Hilldweller 10-28-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 846574)
Unless it's super contaminated, they can't tell there's water in it until it's drained.

The most obvious answer.
Duh on the rest of us.

Unless the tech had xray vision of course.

Schwheelz 10-28-2010 03:30 PM

Is there anything you can put on there to tell the water/fluid concentration in the diff?

Schwheelz 10-28-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duker51
FAIL!! :bottom: Change it yourself for less than $20 and 20 minutes of your time. It's easy to do. No doubt they'll want $300 to change out your diff fluid. It'a a scam. Super easy to do. Check out the Diff fluid change how-to on the Project JK website.

Go Here:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hange-write-up

Thank you! I wasnt totally sure how to do it but now i got it down:)

thaduke2003 10-28-2010 05:50 PM

As daggo said, there's NO way of telling if there's water in the gear oil. They're full of shit. Unless they pulled the fill plug, and water came out, they're lying. Find another dealership, ASAP- Mark W.

Work4Mud 10-28-2010 09:06 PM

Funny how that works, I was told the EXACT same thing at a local lube shop. They said how terrible the fluid looked in the front and rear diff, transfer case AND transmission. They wanted about $300 before tax and fees to change all of them for me, NO THANKS. Lets pretend for a second the fluids were bad, ill do it myself for a fraction of the cost.

WranlgerMan 10-28-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duker51 (Post 846160)

Go Here:
hid kits Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Jeep JK Wrangler Maintenance Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

:):):)
Wow great call on that. You can save sooo much money with this.

thaduke2003 10-28-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Work4Mud (Post 847335)
Funny how that works, I was told the EXACT same thing at a local lube shop. They said how terrible the fluid looked in the front and rear diff, transfer case AND transmission. They wanted about $300 before tax and fees to change all of them for me, NO THANKS. Lets pretend for a second the fluids were bad, ill do it myself for a fraction of the cost.

Holy hell! Things like this make me wish I still had my shop open. It's guys like that, especially when they get away with it, that make people think ALL mechanics/technicians are crooks. Granted, obviously, some are.

Personally, I LOVE rolling into shops like that and messing with them. Asking them questions that lead right into their "trap," then talking circles around them, but with knowledge, not lies. Very entertaining while on road trips, say :) Mark W.

Schwheelz 10-28-2010 10:23 PM

I really dont even have that much experiance in vehicles in general yet but my mechanical background with tools is really helping me, but this thread has gone from helpful to eye opening for me, my differentials had'nt been touched. Btw for everyone to know they were trying to sell me the service for $250 and then replace the air filter yes, THE AIR FILTER for $50 all i said was what the **** and cut my losses, i needed the evap canister and they kept saying you cant buy the plug without the canister, ripoff