Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Lifting kit technical advise

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  daggo66 
#1 ·
Hi ,

I live in Dubai and 99% of my offroading is desert/fine sand driving. I'm looking to lift my car so I can fit bigger wheels and get some clearance, now there is several options (teraflex , AEV ....) but 1 guy I visited yesterday gave me another option.
Instead of changing the shocks and springs , he suggested that all that I need is to change my springs into stiffer bigger ones and my stock shocks will be more than enough !!
This would save me around 70% of the cost ( no need to buy the lifting kit and stabilizer ) but I'm worried about it's effectiveness, keeping in mind that my offroading requires stiff suspension to plow through sand

So I said to myself I better ask the experts before I start messing with my car :)

Appreciate ur help !

#7 ·
I wouldn't do that.
In my opinion, the dampers are already weak and ineffective to begin with in stock trim. They fade with any sort of aggressive and prolonged use.
And prerunning in the desert would certainly overload them much faster if you were to increase the spring rate.

Are you going to run more weight like with a bumper and a winch? If not, I'd mount some flat flares, a leveling kit from Teraflex, and a set of Billstein shocks. You could run around on 35s that way and not worry much.

#8 ·
Hi ,

I live in Dubai and 99% of my offroading is desert/fine sand driving. I'm looking to lift my car so I can fit bigger wheels and get some clearance, now there is several options (teraflex , AEV ....) but 1 guy I visited yesterday gave me another option.
Instead of changing the shocks and springs , he suggested that all that I need is to change my springs into stiffer bigger ones and my stock shocks will be more than enough !!
Your friend is correct. Read this: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/considering-a-spring-swap-55849.html

#10 ·
It's great to hear that the springs will give me the lift needed and would make the jeep stiffer .....
Now what about the shocks ? Are the stock ones good enough to handle the stiffer springs ??

Thx
I would advise switching out to Bilsteins. Check the tag on your springs and tell me whatnthe last 2 numbers are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.