Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Which Shocks are better and why? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/which-shocks-are-better-and-why-67430.html)

Sgt.Shap 11-02-2010 12:56 AM

Which Shocks are better and why?

I am looking for new shocks on my YJ. Its got a 2 - 2.5 inch Old Man Emu lift from previous owner.

Every time I go over a bump, dip offroad, or even a dip on the freeway, it feels like Im bottoming out. Im either hitting the bumpstops or my shocks are bottoming out.

Either way i think I need new shocks.

So Im looking at the following (budget oriented) shocks.
the first bunch are a bit cheaper.

Skyjacker Hydro

Rough Country hydro

pro comp es1000

Skyjacker Nitros

Rough Country nitro 9000

Pro Comp es9000 nitro

what do you guys think. how do they compare. do you run them, have you run them?

daggo66 11-02-2010 05:34 AM

The hydros will be a softer, "mushy" ride. The nitros will be a stiffer, "rougher" ride.

cavediverjc 11-02-2010 08:05 AM

Go with the Old Man Emu Long Travels. That's what I'm running and I love how they ride, both on and off road. Firm without being too aggressive onroad, and downright awesome offroad.

Sgt.Shap 11-02-2010 12:39 PM

also which are more durable and long lasting?

jeepjones 11-02-2010 12:54 PM

Stay away from the Pro Craps, they ride very stiff, the top seals blow easily & the bushings suck. Ever think that maybe your springs are worn out and need to be replaced, seeing how shocks won't control what you are complaining about?

Sgt.Shap 11-02-2010 01:32 PM

maybe they are worn... the leaf springs dont look curved, they look flat, like the ends dont slope up, they just look ------ instead of \-----/ you know what i mean? and the jeep isnt weighed down.

wasomma 11-02-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt.Shap (Post 854651)
maybe they are worn... the leaf springs dont look curved, they look flat, like the ends dont slope up, they just look ------ instead of \-----/ you know what i mean? and the jeep isnt weighed down.

how old are they

King of Beers 11-02-2010 09:09 PM

To tell if your shocks are worn out;

Using your full body weight, push down hard on each corner of your vehicle.

If the vehicle comes back to rest immediately chances are your shocks are good.

If the vehicle bounces up and down, oscillates, your shocks are worn and need to be replaced.

cavediverjc 11-02-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Beers (Post 855550)
To tell if your shocks are worn out;

Using your full body weight, push down hard on each corner of your vehicle.

If the vehicle comes back to rest immediately chances are your shocks are good.

If the vehicle bounces up and down, oscillates, your shocks are worn and need to be replaced.

Keep in mind, that even if the shocks are "good", they may be low-dollar junk the PO put on the Jeep to save a few bucks. Good isn't synonymous with quality in this case.

brent1024 11-03-2010 01:23 PM

Skimp at the grocery store buying off brand food, Not shocks!!