Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Jeep Wave Franken-Thread (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/jeep-wave-franken-thread-675.html)

hmenker 11-21-2005 05:42 PM

Jeep Wave Franken-Thread

The "Jeep wave" for Wrangler owners is a "staple" of Jeep life. I stand in awe of the number of people that do understand the Jeep wave and respond to my wave or me to theirs, but I am equally shocked at the number of persons who do not respond. I know that I've been guilty on occasion of being so focused on my driving (yeh, really!) that I've missed an opportunity to support a fellow Jeeper. But, on the other hand, it seems many Wrangler owners have not been exposed to the "Jeep family contact" that comes from the wave. You can tell by the look on their faces as you wave to them - they stare at you as though imitating deer in headlights. Does anyone have any idea as to how we can get the many who don't understand the wave to come into the Jeep family and participate? Or am I just engaging in a pipe dream? I look forward to your input.

97texasTJ 11-21-2005 06:32 PM

we wrangler owners up here in alaska all support the "jeep wave" u so speak of!!

1BLKJP 11-21-2005 06:52 PM

A lot of people that own jeeps are just looking for the "convertible" mentality. So they not only don't off road, but still refer to their jeep as a car. It is not their fault, they are just not in the know. The best way to help these fellow jeepers is to continue to wave to them. Eventually they will ask someone why people in jeeps always wave?

I do have a personal hierarchy that I follow with the jeep wave (Note, the opinions expressed here are not those of wranglerforum or it sponsors, but only my own BS thought process)

I wave to all CJ's/YJ's/TJ's
I wave only to modified XJ's
On the very rare, that there is a highly modified WJ/ZJ I will throw the wave.
And I have never waved to a KJ (Liberty)

97TJAC 11-21-2005 08:21 PM

i have noticed that the guys in my town with the "rubicons" yeah they dont wave..
but those with the jeeps which have some dirt on them and/or are lifted wav some of the people though with all crome just look straight ahead

amerijeep 11-21-2005 08:47 PM

I love the Jeep wave. There is no better way to salute others in the Jeep fraternity. I notice that I come across a TJ or two every now and then that don't wave. I think that is only due to newbies and yuppies that don'tknow any better. Also, there's a guy in an old YJ that I pass all the time. He is oblivious to the wave. Most Jeepers will wave, though.

I have been guilty of not returning the wave myself when I was concentrating on something else. I won't go out of my way to throw out the wave if I can't spare a hand or the brain cells. Not that I don't want to. Just a safety thing.

daddyjeep 11-21-2005 08:53 PM

I was truly amazed at the number of people that would wave at me in traffic when I lived in Pittsburgh. Going 70 mph in the opposing lane in rush hour traffic, now those people get it. Who cares about safety.

amerijeep 11-21-2005 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep
I was truly amazed at the number of people that would wave at me in traffic when I lived in Pittsburgh. Going 70 mph in the opposing lane in rush hour traffic, now those people get it. Who cares about safety.

I do. I'm not going to slam into someone just to wave at a Jeep. Like I said, I generally wave. I'm not going to risk killing your loved ones to do it though.

97TJAC 11-21-2005 09:54 PM

Summer time it is alot easier to notice people waving
atleast here in my part of ohio
with the doors off and top off people will stick one hand out the door or over the top
when it is freezing cold u r not 2 worried about it

I have noticed tho others waving from across highway when it is not busy

khenderson 11-22-2005 12:53 AM

i agree with the hierarchy that 1BLKJP describes. I wave to all swb jeeps(except when i KNOW that they do not understand and will not wave back....the yuppies). i will wave to an xj before a zj...but never a kj. reminds me of a kj i saw that had the "It's a Jeep thing..... stick and i just thought...."YOU don't understand." anyways, back on the wave note, my wave-back percentage was a 100% the other day. It was great!! made my day!

(the opinions expressed here are solely personal views and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Wranglerforum, or any of the other sites in the Jeep Network. thank you.) :rolleyes:

H.G 11-22-2005 05:23 AM

I wave to those that hit me with the wave first.

Tdad 11-22-2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep

Maybe that's a PA thing, 'cause I get that too. It's funny because I see the same Jeeps on my commute almost every day. In the morning it's the guy in the silver TJ (that still has his camp Jeep trail stickers on his windshield) and in the afternoon it's the guy with the green/tan YJ with the light bar. We wave across all 4 lanes. :)

As for those that don't return the wave, my outlook is "I wave at the Jeep, if the driver waves back, it's a bonus." (especially if the other driver is female)

willness33 11-24-2005 02:56 AM

I also wave to Cjs, YJs, TJs, modded XJs and ZJs. Never KJs and I even own one. Man, I even forget and wave when I'm in my non-jeep vehicles. People look at me strange.

dont know squat 12-19-2005 11:42 PM

hardly anyone around here waves..even the ones i catch eyeballing my jeep..so i bought one of these stickers but still nothing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...22813695QQrdZ1

Texapple 12-20-2005 08:12 AM

The salesman at the Jeep Dealership educated us about the "wave fraternity". I always try to be on the look out & wave. I admit to being bummed when the wave isn't returned.

hmenker 12-21-2005 10:25 PM

I know what that "bummed" feeling is all about. There have been days when I've seen a dozen Wranglers and not one response. But then there are the extraordinary days when a dozen respond - what a charge! I like the idea that your salesman shared the info with you. Maybe we can create a way that all salespersons can pass this along!

legacy 12-22-2005 05:42 AM

YAY! for the first time in two weeks someone responded to my wave! YAY! yea, here by me, we have lots of jeeps, they are everywhere, but there are only a small number that actually understand the jeep life. but you know what, i keep on wavin, if they don't respond or they just look at me stupidly, well then :flipoff: them i'm still wavin!

amerijeep 12-22-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy
YAY! for the first time in two weeks someone responded to my wave! YAY! yea, here by me, we have lots of jeeps, they are everywhere, but there are only a small number that actually understand the jeep life. but you know what, i keep on wavin, if they don't respond or they just look at me stupidly, well then :flipoff: them i'm still wavin!

If they don't wave, forget about it. You basically have two types of people in Jeeps...yuppies and true Jeepers. Sounds like a lot of yuppies in your area. They don't get it.

Tacoma 12-28-2005 11:40 AM

I always wave. (It's kind of the same cult thing as the motorcycle wave from those days.) Seems that the initiation /return of the wave is automatic for those who really appreciate the Jeep for what it is. ( COOL and FUN). Those that don't wave seem to be the older types with the pristeen/newer jeeps that wear a hard top all summer. Kinda feel bad for what they are missing. They need to let themselves go! :D

p.s had a lady in a Grand Cherokee wave at me a while back. What was that about??

mmasuperman12 12-28-2005 03:43 PM

Ill wave at anyone in a wrangler or CJ and the members of the wheelin club around me but no one else. I dont know how everyone else feels but when summer rolls around here in York, ME the tourists show up and they dont get waves unless the jeep is lifted the yuppies from mass. can kiss my a$$

H.G 12-29-2005 09:01 AM

I actually had a jeeper mate come up from sydney the other day and we went for a cruise down to the gold coast.. and I waved to every bloody jeep I saw.. and not one of those pricks waved back.. mind you they were all stocko's and mine is slightly lifted and stuff.but still .. how rude

saints7th 01-17-2006 10:22 PM

I just picked up my 2006 TJ last week and was amazed at how many Jeepers I got waves from within the first 2 days. Good to know there is a little bit of family up here in NH.

mud707 01-18-2006 04:45 PM

I've Been Doing The Wave Since My First Cj-7 Back In 90. For The People Who Say It's To Dangerous, Just Raise 4 Of Your Fingers And Keep The Thumb On The Wheel Or If Going Around A Corner I'll Through Up A Quick Peace Wave Just To Acknowledge Someone Going The Other Way So I Don't Have To Leave Go.

04moneypit 01-19-2006 02:45 PM

Man, the other day I had three guys in lifted jeeps look at me like I was completely retarded when I waved the other day. Made me feel pretty shitty to know that even the guys that wheel don't know the wave.

Texapple 01-19-2006 04:52 PM

Don't take it personal....I've seen a hierarchy(a point system based on your Jeep's modifications), that some may take seriously.

CJ-YJ-TJ, I wave at 'em all http://www.free-smileys.org/emo/gen100.gif it's a great feeling when they return it

memsimba 01-19-2006 07:20 PM

I must admit that i used to have that deer in the headlights when i first got my jeep. but now that I have owned a jeep for awhile i have jumped on board with the wave and I am proud to say that most of the jeep owners that i have run accross that also support the wave

TJGreg 01-19-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstaidTJ
Don't take it personal....I've seen a hierarchy(a point system based on your Jeep's modifications), that some may take seriously.

agreed

amerijeep 01-19-2006 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstaidTJ

Never heard of that before. Are you saying that Jeepers won't wave because they consider themselves better than the next person? I always thought of Jeeping as a fellowship. This ruins it for me...

Texapple 01-20-2006 07:12 AM

I read it with humor in mind, but maybe some Jeeper's feel otherwise....too bad

http://www.jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.shtml

I'm still wave'n http://www.free-smileys.org/emo/signs061.gif I'm an opptimist...trying to convert the "non wavers"

whiteyj 01-20-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep
Never heard of that before. Are you saying that Jeepers won't wave because they consider themselves better than the next person? I always thought of Jeeping as a fellowship. This ruins it for me...

My thoughts as I politely waved to the shiney new TJ's as they commute home are: 1. Dumb yuppie only using it for commute and Tahoe, and 2. Poor TJ will never know the thrills of running down a dirt trail or climbing and clawing it's way over a rock.

amerijeep 01-20-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj
My thoughts as I politely waved to the shiney new TJ's as they commute home are: 1. Dumb yuppie only using it for commute and Tahoe, and 2. Poor TJ will never know the thrills of running down a dirt trail or climbing and clawing it's way over a rock.

Yuppie. That is exactly what I always think.