Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Hi-lift jack (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hi-lift-jack-676098.html)

mayer906 04-30-2014 09:43 PM

Hi-lift jack

just looking for some inputs ... I was in my driveway this week spraying my wheels but I couldn't use the jack that came with the car to get it off the ground... So I'm looking to get the hilift jack.. I see they come in 48 and 60".. Is 60 necessary? Also wondering where to mount it... I think the hood mount looks awesome but don't want to scratch my hood up getting it on and off... Does anyone have it there? What do you think as far as ease of getting it on and off. My other option is mounting it inside to the roll bars... Also which brand mounts do you have ... Pictures would be awesome too of how you have it mounted... Thanks in advance

R51 04-30-2014 10:40 PM

Not sure why the stock jack wouldn't get your wheels off the ground. I bought the 60" and was considering cutting the last foot off, until 2 weeks ago when I used every inch of it on the trail. Mine mounts on the teraflex mount to the tailgate. I agree that a horizontal mount on the hood looks cool, but not practical for me.

Bonecollector 04-30-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayer906 (Post 10286426)
just looking for some inputs ... I was in my driveway this week spraying my wheels but I couldn't use the jack that came with the car to get it off the ground... So I'm looking to get the hilift jack.. I see they come in 48 and 60".. Is 60 necessary? Also wondering where to mount it... I think the hood mount looks awesome but don't want to scratch my hood up getting it on and off... Does anyone have it there? What do you think as far as ease of getting it on and off. My other option is mounting it inside to the roll bars... Also which brand mounts do you have ... Pictures would be awesome too of how you have it mounted... Thanks in advance

What size wheels are on your car?

Bonecollector 04-30-2014 11:24 PM

:popcorn:

RodtheRebel 05-01-2014 07:00 AM

Waiting to see some pics of some mounting options. Mine is just laying in the back tub area. Thinking of making a lockbox for the tub and mounting the jack to the top or side of that.

mayer906 05-01-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonecollector (Post 10288394)
What size wheels are on your car?

stock for now... In the next year or so I plan on 33s or 35s depending on funds

mayer906 05-01-2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodtheRebel (Post 10291938)
Waiting to see some pics of some mounting options. Mine is just laying in the back tub area. Thinking of making a lockbox for the tub and mounting the jack to the top or side of that.

not. A bad idea... I saw the one that attaches to the roll bar but the trunk is small enough .. And if I'm going to throw a cooler or anything in there it's gonna be impossible unless I take it off first

mhicanders 05-01-2014 07:21 AM

:popcorn:subscribed

mikeJKUR 05-01-2014 03:32 PM

I have 48" that I have had for 10 years. I recently got sliders and was playing with my hi-lift.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps997537a1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psc0509be8.jpg

I have no lift and stock tires but I did have the front sway bar disconnected and was still able to get both right wheels off the ground before at the midway point of the jacket.
To make things easier since I have a Rubicon I can just hit the switch before jacking he front up.

mayer906 05-01-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR (Post 10303874)
I have 48" that I have had for 10 years. I recently got sliders and was playing with my hi-lift. I have no lift and stock tires but I did have the front sway bar disconnected and was still able to get both right wheels off the ground before at the midway point of the jacket. To make things easier since I have a Rubicon I can just hit the switch before jacking he front up.

do you have it mounted on your jeep anywhere?

Cajun-in-tx 05-01-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayer906 (Post 10292138)
stock for now... In the next year or so I plan on 33s or 35s depending on funds

Confused... Why could you not use the stock jack if you have stock tires. Lots of people use the stock jack with larger tires. Why did it not work for you.

GoBig19 05-01-2014 09:58 PM

Did you jack under the axle housing?

FenderGrime 05-01-2014 10:03 PM

I definitely consider my hi-lift a trail only accessory. There are plenty out there who use it any chance they get, but its narrow base kind of freaks me out for changing tires. Much prefer the stock scissor jack when I can use it. I use it to bring tires up on tall obstacles and allow it to "fall over".

In regards to mounting, I have dominion off-road's rear roll bar mount. It keeps the jack out of the weather and out of the way. The only disadvantages are that it will only take a 48" jack and you have to remove your jack to take the soft top down (not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things).

jeeptjduner 05-01-2014 10:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also use the Tera flex tire carrier accessory mount. Trouble is keeping it mounted outside makes it rusty quick. The moment it gets used it instantly gets scratched. Then when water gets on it it starts rusting. I'd rather mount it inside but don't want to have it in the way. So, I mount it to the Tera flex mount when I go on long trips or when I go wheeling.

O_M_Jeep 05-01-2014 10:17 PM

Instead of asking if you need one, go to you-tube and watch the few hundred ways they are useful, then you'll know if you need one.

R51 05-01-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeptjduner (Post 10314226)
I also use the Tera flex tire carrier accessory mount. Trouble is keeping it mounted outside makes it rusty quick. The moment it gets used it instantly gets scratched. Then when water gets on it it starts rusting. I'd rather mount it inside but don't want to have it in the way. So, I mount it to the Tera flex mount when I go on long trips or when I go wheeling.

Agreed. Mine is in the garage where it can stay dry unless I'm headed off road. It mounts to the TF hinge carrier in a few minutes. Only hard part is remembering where I keep the hardware each time.:atomic:
Nice Jeep, BTW. I love that color.

JPi1 05-02-2014 12:09 AM

Check out Dominion Off Roads hi lift jack mount for 4 door JKs. We sell so many of these, and they mount your hi lift up and out of the way till you need them, inside your jeep!

Gbobva 05-02-2014 12:55 AM

Since you are looking at mounting options, not if you need one or not (you should get one BTW), here is how I have mine mounted. It is attached to my Rockhard 4x4 bumper.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSCN0670.jpg

*Note: This is a photo taken right after I got the bumper. It is still mounted that way, but turned around. and MAN look how clean everything is...

Here is another more recent:
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps80746ea8.jpg

Alleghenyhightest 05-14-2014 09:41 PM

Can I use the hi - lift jack on the stock bumper without damaging it or do I need the bumper lift attachment? Also can you use it on the the rock rails without damaging them?

Have a 2014 Rubicon.

wrh3 05-14-2014 11:06 PM

Originally we used the Rugged Ridge mount beside the spare tire, but after lifting and installing the Teraflex hinge/spare mount decided to go for an inside mount.

http://billswebspace.com/jeep386.jpg

http://billswebspace.com/jeep387.jpg

http://billswebspace.com/jeep388.jpg

Mounts were made by Hillside Machine on eBay (no affiliation but have two sets of these installed on both of our JKs) hillsidemachine on eBay

Yeah, you can fabricate your own with exhaust clamps, etc. I just don't have time with work travel and these worked great, installed in a few minutes. We just throw a blanket over the jack before taking the top down as a preventative measure and so far no issues, top down or up, and jack is dry and ready to go....YMMV.

Getnoff 05-14-2014 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never had to use it (yet) in the heat of battle. Take it off twice a year to clean and lube it. Not that bad at all really. 48" is all u should need.
Troy

mayer906 05-15-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrh3 (Post 10633658)
Originally we used the Rugged Ridge mount beside the spare tire, but after lifting and installing the Teraflex hinge/spare mount decided to go for an inside mount. Mounts were made by Hillside Machine on eBay (no affiliation but have two sets of these installed on both of our JKs) hillsidemachine on eBay Yeah, you can fabricate your own with exhaust clamps, etc. I just don't have time with work travel and these worked great, installed in a few minutes. We just throw a blanket over the jack before taking the top down as a preventative measure and so far no issues, top down or up, and jack is dry and ready to go....YMMV.

might go with this ... I saw ones that you have to still into the roll bar and wasn't too impressed with that... Thanks for the info ...also what size jack is that?

NoGaBiker 05-15-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrh3 (Post 10633658)

Mounts were made by Hillside Machine on eBay (no affiliation but have two sets of these installed on both of our JKs) hillsidemachine on eBay

Nice! Any reason if a person doesn't keep the rear seat in his 2-door that you couldn't flip those brackets so they point forward and the jack doesn't interfere with the lowered top at all?

SteedGun 05-15-2014 09:34 AM

I have owned many High-Lift jacks. This time I bought this one in hopes it will not get as much rust on it as the other ones. I will end up mounting this on my front bumper with the Maximus-3 mount for the Rubicon X when it is available.

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-X...high+lift+jack

Don't forget to buy the Off-Road base as well.

For just lifting and working on my Jeep in the garage this is what I use and it makes a High-Lift jack look silly. Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand. This is much easier than the HLJ for home use. I also carry this in the back on long trips for flats. I will only mount the HLJ for trail.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640...on+bottle+jack

cdeslandes 05-15-2014 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteedGun (Post 10640210)
I have owned many High-Lift jacks. This time I bought this one in hopes it will not get as much rust on it as the other ones. I will end up mounting this on my front bumper with the Maximus-3 mount for the Rubicon X when it is available.

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-X...high+lift+jack

Don't forget to buy the Off-Road base as well.

For just lifting and working on my Jeep in the garage this is what I use and it makes a High-Lift jack look silly. Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand. This is much easier than the HLJ for home use. I also carry this in the back on long trips for flats. I will only mount the HLJ for trail.

Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand: Automotive

Likewise, for working in the garage I have a Craftsman hydraulic floor jack (free from a neighbor getting rid of it!) and jack stands.

mayer906 05-21-2014 08:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Opinions on these mounts?

Attachment 1127330

Attachment 1127338

Attachment 1127346

Attachment 1127394

I have a 2 dr and already have no trunk space... Please refer to them as 1-4 on your likes and or dislikes about them... Thanks

jeeptjduner 05-21-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayer906 (Post 10794082)
Opinions on these mounts? 1 2 3 4 I have a 2 dr and already have no trunk space... Please refer to them as 1-4 on your likes and or dislikes about them... Thanks

I like #4 best if you don't mind reaching under it if you use your cargo area. This keeps it out of the rain and elements. My second choice, and what I currently use, is #2. After 2 weeks of being mounted like this I realized I needed to paint the jack because a couple of rain storms brought on the rust in the places that had the paint scratched off from using the jack. It's near impossible to use the jack and not scratch it.

wrh3 05-21-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayer906 (Post 10639674)
might go with this ... I saw ones that you have to still into the roll bar and wasn't too impressed with that... Thanks for the info ...also what size jack is that?

48"

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 10640122)
Nice! Any reason if a person doesn't keep the rear seat in his 2-door that you couldn't flip those brackets so they point forward and the jack doesn't interfere with the lowered top at all?

That would work. It really doesn't interfere with the top but we cover it just to be safe ;)

Dwoodworker 05-21-2014 09:58 PM

I like #1. Where can i find that one

Dwoodworker 05-21-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwoodworker (Post 10797290)
I like #1. Where can i find that one

Found it