Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   My hidden winch on stock JK bumper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-hidden-winch-on-stock-jk-bumper-67793.html)

shaunmac 11-05-2010 07:42 AM

My hidden winch on stock JK bumper
 
1 Attachment(s)
So I have been working on this project for about a week and a good 4 days of actual work, frustration, and trips to hardware/auto/4wd shops. Burnt out one drill, broke a chuck on the replacement (it was a new Hitachi if anyone cares and I replaced it with a Bosch).
Anyway, I think it looks great and I am quite proud.... Yes I know everyones opinion on the orange haha.

Mr. Sinister 11-05-2010 07:55 AM

pretty sweet!!

Wrangler010 11-05-2010 07:58 AM

i like the orange! the bumper is pretty sweet too...... how'd ya do it?

OregonTJ 11-05-2010 08:01 AM

Nice!

captjhym 11-05-2010 08:13 AM

I agree with wrangler010... how did ya do it? I saw yopur other post and decided I like the look, but when I tried to remove that stupid plastic cover, there are some extensions off my frame that get in the way... doesnt look like they are on yours...what gives?

CMEvans79 11-05-2010 08:14 AM

I LIKE THE ORANGE! And that bumper is nice too!

shaunmac 11-05-2010 08:14 AM

The simple answer is, Flip the winch plate, drill holes through the frame arms, and a lot of cuts on the plate and bumper.
The only thing I hate is having to abandon the fog lamps. :mad:

CMEvans79 11-05-2010 08:17 AM

Can't you just relocate them or put a bull bar on and put some there?

captjhym 11-05-2010 08:17 AM

how did you get the plastic cover off? did your jeep have the frame extensions as well?

jeffk42 11-05-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunmac (Post 860285)
(it was a new Hitachi if anyone cares and I replaced it with a Bosch).

Bosch FTW.

I don't think I have any power tools left that AREN'T Bosch tools. :cool:

shaunmac 11-05-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captjhym (Post 860321)
how did you get the plastic cover off? did your jeep have the frame extensions as well?

I think if you have the tow hooks you dont have the spacer things. But, I am certain that you can still take them off.

captjhym 11-05-2010 08:55 AM

I have both..... its really pissin me of trying to get that plastic cover off I am about to break out the dremel and go to town

Droelle 11-05-2010 02:14 PM

You have to unbolted the plastics bumper from the metal bumper underneath. Then you have to unbolted the tow hooks that are connected to the frame. Then kinda wiggle the plastic off and unhook your fog lamps if you have any. And the big coke can looking things are crush cans just grind those off. Then bolt back up the metal part. I've done this and have since remounted the fog lamps inside of the metal bumper. It makes for a really bad a$$ look. I spent a total of 7 bucks mounting the lights!!!! Oh and the orange is awesome looking man. Wish I would have thought of that.

captjhym 11-05-2010 02:45 PM

ok.... thanks droelle

zerokoo149 11-05-2010 07:18 PM

Looks really good, nice work.

toshpate 11-05-2010 07:30 PM

loving the orange and black gooooo pokes ha ha I know... Bengals

jcilino 11-05-2010 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks great !
I did mine on a jeep optional bumper it also took me about a week and I retained the fogs by extending the frame 4" with spacer between plates welded professionally.
Here are the before and after pics.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1289003881

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1289003881

daggo66 11-06-2010 08:39 AM

Since you're in NJ, where is your required front license plate mounted?

Dbar71 11-06-2010 09:14 AM

Nice.

Droelle 11-08-2010 09:48 AM

Shaunmac! Hey can you take more pics around that winch? I'm kinda looking in to doing this and wanna see kinda what I'm gettin in to.
Thanks

shaunmac 11-08-2010 10:14 AM

I am going to pull the whole thing soon to paint the cuts, I can do a build type shots for you as I put it back if you like.

aelwero 11-08-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droelle (Post 860762)
You have to unbolted the plastics bumper from the metal bumper underneath. Then you have to unbolted the tow hooks that are connected to the frame. Then kinda wiggle the plastic off and unhook your fog lamps if you have any. And the big coke can looking things are crush cans just grind those off. Then bolt back up the metal part. I've done this and have since remounted the fog lamps inside of the metal bumper. It makes for a really bad a$$ look. I spent a total of 7 bucks mounting the lights!!!! Oh and the orange is awesome looking man. Wish I would have thought of that.

It's a tad easier to remove the entire bumper (by unscrewing the tow hooks) BEFORE you unbolt the plastic... keeps it all one piece that way instead of trying to juggle around 4 separate parts. With the bolts being integrated into the tow hooks, it's super easy to remove :)

Droelle 11-08-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunmac (Post 865209)
I am going to pull the whole thing soon to paint the cuts, I can do a build type shots for you as I put it back if you like.

That would be awsome!

jcilino 11-08-2010 06:19 PM

I have this for the plate on front but took it off for the pic.
Jim..
http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/imag...d2_640x480.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.