Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Dana 44? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/dana-44-a-67861.html)

krax1969 11-05-2010 06:55 PM

Dana 44?
 
3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 29430

Attachment 29431

Pretty sure these are Dana 44s.. but just wanted to check with the pros! Sorry the pic quality isn't great.

I was trying to find my gear ratio, and this is all I could see, and was partially scratched off. Does that say 3.73? Is that a possible gear ratio? I am running a 2003 Sahara, 30x9.5R15LT tires.

Attachment 29432

I am trying to do more maintenance stuff myself. Did an oil change, tire rotation and replaced the air filter! Baby steps!

Thanks!!

Kirk

garyg 11-05-2010 06:57 PM

id say they are.

Qwntm 11-05-2010 07:04 PM

Looks like 3.73 to me, and yes, that would be right as well.

(I just happened to have looked mine up last night and it looked the same as yours without the scratches... :) )

PS. The rear looks like a 44, but I think the front is a Dana 30. Only the Rubicons came with Dana 44 fronts. Unless somebody did a major swap for you...

And the 30 9.5 15's were the stock size, it's what my 2001 Sport came with and for $129 per Goodrich AT's it's what I'm sticking with! :)

Ray - San Jose 11-05-2010 07:07 PM

Almost looks like a 30 and 44 to me. Check the chart about 1/2 way down on this page to make sure of what you have.

CLICKIE

doughenry 11-05-2010 07:22 PM

dana 30 and 44,Im sure the ratio is indeed 3.73

UnlimitedLJ04 11-05-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyg (Post 861248)
id say they are.

you'd be 1/2 wrong.

front is a LP D30, rear is a LP D44

Bruck 11-05-2010 07:30 PM

Am I reading the pictures wrong? I thought they both had the metal fill plugs.

krax1969 11-05-2010 07:31 PM

So, I have front 30, rear 44.... will that still make a good trail rig? I saw a few threads saying the 30 breaks too easily.

And what are your opinions on max tire size? I have read a lot on that, too. According to a chart someone posted, looks like 34" would be the biggest without chaning gear ratio. I assume I would need a lift for that... so, I am guessing maybe 32" or 33" max without a lift and/or changing gear ratio?

I would like to eventually do some moderate trails... not sure what I will like, though... rocks, mud, sand, etc. I will be in Colorado soon, so looking forward to some good trails!

Thanks for the help!

krax1969 11-05-2010 07:33 PM

bruckerw, I will have to look more closely and get better photos... I will repost once I get a better view... thanks

Ray - San Jose 11-05-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krax1969 (Post 861318)
So, I have front 30, rear 44.... will that still make a good trail rig? I saw a few threads saying the 30 breaks too easily.

And what are your opinions on max tire size? I have read a lot on that, too. According to a chart someone posted, looks like 34" would be the biggest without chaning gear ratio. I assume I would need a lift for that... so, I am guessing maybe 32" or 33" max without a lift and/or changing gear ratio?

I would like to eventually do some moderate trails... not sure what I will like, though... rocks, mud, sand, etc. I will be in Colorado soon, so looking forward to some good trails!

Thanks for the help!

You're golden with a 30 front and a 44 rear. It's the Turdy-fives in the rear that tend to break a lot. If you do indeed have 3:73 gear set you'll probably want to regear to 4:56 if you have the 5sp manual trans and 33" tires. The diff gear ration tags don't always get changed when the gears are changed. I have 4:56's and my tags still say 3:73.

Ray - San Jose 11-05-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruckerw (Post 861313)
Am I reading the pictures wrong? I thought they both had the metal fill plugs.

D30's and D44's both have metal plugs.

KeeblerKO 11-05-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray - San Jose (Post 861342)
You're golden with a 30 front and a 44 rear. It's the Turdy-fives in the rear that tend to break a lot. If you do indeed have 3:73 gear set you'll probably want to regear to 4:56 if you have the 5sp manual trans and 33" tires. The diff gear ration tags don't always get changed when the gears are changed. I have 4:56's and my tags still say 3:73.

Agreed, 3.73s with the 5 speed and 33s and 5th gear becomes just about useless. You'll be able to use it to keep RPMs low on the highway, but it will have no power to pass other vehicles or go up even a slight incline without bogging down. 4.56 works well with 33s and the manual.

krax1969 11-05-2010 08:06 PM

excellent... thanks for all your help! I am sure I will post potentially repetitive and silly questions again...

Kirk

Bruck 11-06-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray - San Jose (Post 861346)
D30's and D44's both have metal plugs.

Oh...I always thought that the 30 and 35s had plastic fill plugs. I have 44s in front and back though so not positive.

4Jeepn 11-06-2010 08:07 AM

Only TJ axle to have plastic plug is rear dana 35.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.