Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Stock Wheeling (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-wheeling-678753.html)

GreenMachine13 05-02-2014 01:37 PM

Stock Wheeling
 
How many of you guys and gals have wheeled your vehicle in its stock condition?

What model do you have (JKS, JKUS, JKR, JKUR, etc)?

What kind of wheeling did you do (light trail, difficult trails, rocks, etc)?

What kind of problems did you encounter?

What is the one modification you wish you had while on the trail?

mhicanders 05-02-2014 01:39 PM

Yes, definitely. Sig has my details. I'd say light to moderate trails, we explore the desert out here, the trails are well established and the hazards are fairly minimal.

Didn't encounter any problems, no mods wanted or needed for our purposes.

BAMA-S 05-02-2014 01:49 PM

I'm gonna wheel mine stock. New stock shoes on my Rubi is it.

Renegade007 05-02-2014 01:50 PM

Stock 2014 JKUR. Only a little mud so far but plan on running stock this summer to see what mods I need/want.

DiscDog 05-02-2014 02:01 PM

Was watching a jeep lamborie video and there was a stock JKU rubi that ran the rubicon trail with only 33" tires. Made it through with some minor skid plate damage.

ferninAZ 05-02-2014 02:03 PM

I do not wheel a stock Wrangler but I do take a lot of new Wrangler owners on trail rides. My suggestions are usually this;
1. Get yourself a First Aid kit
2. Get yourself some recovery gear
a. Tow strap
b. Gloves
c. Shackles
d. Winch if you can afford it
You can also just buy a kit from ARB or AEV or whomever you like and trust.
3. Familiarize yourself with your vehicle and how the offroading system works
4. Meet offroaders willing to take you on some trail runs that seem harder than you think your vehicle can do.
5. Get a CB radio or some walkie talkies

Then I usually go into a thing about you will know when you need to upgrade because you will be stuck without the ability to move forward. At that point, upgrade whatever is making your forward progress impossible. Have fun and learn how your Jeep works and it will take you to some amazing places.

jaxs1984 05-02-2014 02:09 PM

Everyone knows you CAN'T wheel a JK stock !!!! LOL

ocd_dave 05-02-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxs1984 (Post 10327953)
Everyone knows you CAN'T wheel a JK stock !!!! LOL


As long as I'm not paying for it, I will wheel a Prius....LOL

BAMA-S 05-02-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferninAZ (Post 10327825)
I do not wheel a stock Wrangler but I do take a lot of new Wrangler owners on trail rides. My suggestions are usually this;
1. Get yourself a First Aid kit
2. Get yourself some recovery gear
a. Tow strap
b. Gloves
c. Shackles
d. Winch if you can afford it
You can also just buy a kit from ARB or AEV or whomever you like and trust.
3. Familiarize yourself with your vehicle and how the offroading system works
4. Meet offroaders willing to take you on some trail runs that seem harder than you think your vehicle can do.
5. Get a CB radio or some walkie talkies

Then I usually go into a thing about you will know when you need to upgrade because you will be stuck without the ability to move forward. At that point, upgrade whatever is making your forward progress impossible. Have fun and learn how your Jeep works and it will take you to some amazing places.

GOOD Advice....

Godholio 05-02-2014 02:40 PM

'12 JK Sport, so babby wheels/tires. I took a fun trip with some locals through the snow. The tires did much better than expected...I only got stuck enough to need winching out once. A better-shoed Comanche was left behind because he couldn't get through it at all. It does fine on basic dirt trails. I'm not big into rocks, but I seriously doubt I'd have much luck with these tires, especially since they're getting a bit worn down.

Edit: I've got a first aid kid, fire extinguisher, and a tow strap.

TNT 02TJ 05-02-2014 02:42 PM

^^^^^Excellent advise. I ignored everyone who said "you have to do x and x to wheel your Jeep. I have a stock TJ on 31's and wheel it every other weekend. I go places that surprise me. I'm learning my Jeep and how to pick lines and control her in tough situations. When I do build her I will do it much differently than I would have before I just went out and learned what she is capable of as is.

panthermark 05-02-2014 02:46 PM

Depends on what you mean by "wheel". Everyone probably has a different definition. I don't do much wheeling, but on light trails, my stock Sahara is great. It was even decent in the one thing I said I'd never do again (from my prior vehicle)....mud.

BTW, I will NEVER do mud again....again.

GreenMachine13 05-02-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 10328761)
Depends on what you mean by "wheel". Everyone probably has a different definition. I don't do much wheeling, but on light trails, my stock Sahara is great. It was even decent in the one thing I said I'd never do again (from my prior vehicle)....mud. BTW, I will NEVER do mud again....again.

Never say never! ;)

Agreed that wheeling means something different to everyone... Figured they could share however they saw fit. :)

I like hearing the stories about being on the trails and the type of terrain and the difficulties encountered, etc.

dealerjoe 05-02-2014 03:15 PM

I do mostly national forest roads and trails around home in southern West Virginia. Here are some pics from day before yesterday. Mostly just rutted out two tracks with some creek crossings and mud holes. I avoided the deeper stuff where there were already bypass trails. I figured if the bypass is already there it probably means someone has gotten stuck and since I haven't found a wheeling buddy yet I'm flying solo. Not really where you wanna get stuck. BTW, I'm running a stock(other than cosmetics) '14 JKU Sahara with the Rubicon wheels and tires. Never even used 4L.

GreenMachine13 05-02-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealerjoe (Post 10329257)
I do mostly national forest roads and trails around home in southern West Virginia. Here are some pics from day before yesterday. Mostly just rutted out two tracks with some creek crossings and mud holes. I avoided the deeper stuff where there were already bypass trails. I figured if the bypass is already there it probably means someone has gotten stuck and since I haven't found a wheeling buddy yet I'm flying solo. Not really where you wanna get stuck. BTW, I'm running a stock(other than cosmetics) '14 JKU Sahara with the Rubicon wheels and tires. Never even used 4L.

That looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing.

I was originally planning to do a lift and bigger tires but I don't think I'll really need that for what I want to do. Stock seems to go through a lot.

mhicanders 05-02-2014 03:30 PM

people wheeled for a long time in stock jeeps/scouts/blazers and broncos.. and somehow managed to get it done. I think for most the lifted/big tires is simply a style statement, they see the rock crawlers, mud boggers and 'monster trucks' and say ooh that looks cool.

If you need more ground clearance then maybe you need bigger tires (or maybe you need portal axles). If not it seems like a waste of money to me.

TNT 02TJ 05-02-2014 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We do mostly rocks out here in So Cal. Done a lot bigger than this picture. Factory skids work pretty well also.
:beerdrinking:

Attachment 1054625

TNT 02TJ 05-02-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhicanders (Post 10329441)
people wheeled for a long time in stock jeeps/scouts/blazers and broncos.. and somehow managed to get it done. I think for most the lifted/big tires is simply a style statement, they see the rock crawlers, mud boggers and 'monster trucks' and say ooh that looks cool.

If you need more ground clearance then maybe you need bigger tires (or maybe you need portal axles). If not it seems like a waste of money to me.

I saw a video recently from the late 60's. I was a group running the Rubicon in stock early 50's Jeeps, most with 4 or 5 people in them bouncing all over the place. Great stuff.

spinlock 05-02-2014 03:56 PM

Unless it's a Rubi the only major issue with a stock Jeep is the factory tires. Unless the trail is highly technical the weakest link will be the skill of the driver.

Driving it stock and avoiding damage is one of the best ways to build off road driving skills.

GreenMachine13 05-02-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferninAZ (Post 10327825)
I do not wheel a stock Wrangler but I do take a lot of new Wrangler owners on trail rides. My suggestions are usually this;
1. Get yourself a First Aid kit
2. Get yourself some recovery gear
a. Tow strap
b. Gloves
c. Shackles
d. Winch if you can afford it
You can also just buy a kit from ARB or AEV or whomever you like and trust.
3. Familiarize yourself with your vehicle and how the offroading system works
4. Meet offroaders willing to take you on some trail runs that seem harder than you think your vehicle can do.
5. Get a CB radio or some walkie talkies

Then I usually go into a thing about you will know when you need to upgrade because you will be stuck without the ability to move forward. At that point, upgrade whatever is making your forward progress impossible. Have fun and learn how your Jeep works and it will take you to some amazing places.

Thanks for the list! I have everything on it except for the medical kit (which I'm getting soon) and winch. I plan on only wheeling if I have buddy though (with tow hooks, etc) so probably can forgo on the winch for now but I do have that on the list for the future.

Installed the CB Radio last week... been listening to the truckers on the way to and from work :)

TNT 02TJ 05-02-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinlock (Post 10330025)
Unless it's a Rubi the only major issue with a stock Jeep is the factory tires. Unless the trail is highly technical the weakest link will be the skill of the driver. Driving it stock and avoiding damage is one of the best ways to build off road driving skills.

Amen. I'm learning to really drive my Jeep. It's way more fun than just driving over everything.

GreenMachine13 05-02-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinlock (Post 10330025)
Unless it's a Rubi the only major issue with a stock Jeep is the factory tires. Unless the trail is highly technical the weakest link will be the skill of the driver.

Driving it stock and avoiding damage is one of the best ways to build off road driving skills.

Agreed about the tires. Now that the duratracs are available in stock size I think I'll just upgrade to those.

ferninAZ 05-02-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMachine13 (Post 10330233)
Thanks for the list! I have everything on it except for the medical kit (which I'm getting soon) and winch. I plan on only wheeling if I have buddy though (with tow hooks, etc) so probably can forgo on the winch for now but I do have that on the list for the future.

Installed the CB Radio last week... been listening to the truckers on the way to and from work :)

Thats really only the beginning of the list, I didn't feel like typing the whole thing.

1. Base plate for your stock jack, from AEV or hi lift.
2. Fire Extinguisher
3. Spill kit
4. Tools
a. Hammer
b. Pliers
c. Crescent Wrench
d. 1/2" drive socket set
e. Multi tool
f. Flat tire repair kit
g. OBA or portable 12v compressor
5. Fuses
6. Spare clothes
7. Emergency blanket
8. Poncho
9. Jumper cables
10. Duct tape and 550 cord
11. Permits for areas, State Trust Land Permit here in AZ

That list will get you most places in an emergency. Lots of times between all the drivers this list will be complete. Of course you don't have to have all these things but it does make me feel better when I do.

mhicanders 05-02-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMachine13 (Post 10330233)
Thanks for the list! I have everything on it except for the medical kit (which I'm getting soon) and winch. I plan on only wheeling if I have buddy though (with tow hooks, etc) so probably can forgo on the winch for now but I do have that on the list for the future.

Installed the CB Radio last week... been listening to the truckers on the way to and from work :)

Bear in mind a winch only helps if there's something to connect it to. Around here the ground is very hard, one of those fancy anchors would maybe work (depending on where you are) other than that there's rarely anything to hook up to. I can afford a winch, just isn't very likely to be useful for the places I go. Never been stuck that a jack and shovel can't fix.

Michel347 05-02-2014 04:23 PM

I'm pretty much stock, just running Firestone Destination MT in slightly bigger size. It performs amaisingly well

GreenMachine13 05-02-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferninAZ (Post 10330433)
Thats really only the beginning of the list, I didn't feel like typing the whole thing.

1. Base plate for your stock jack, from AEV or hi lift.
2. Fire Extinguisher
3. Spill kit
4. Tools
a. Hammer
b. Pliers
c. Crescent Wrench
d. 1/2" drive socket set
e. Multi tool
f. Flat tire repair kit
g. OBA or portable 12v compressor
5. Fuses
6. Spare clothes
7. Emergency blanket
8. Poncho
9. Jumper cables
10. Duct tape and 550 cord
11. Permits for areas, State Trust Land Permit here in AZ

That list will get you most places in an emergency. Lots of times between all the drivers this list will be complete. Of course you don't have to have all these things but it does make me feel better when I do.

Fortunately, I do have most of this already. I plan on installing onboard air next but first I want to get the sPod.

I also have a compact shovel but I'd really like to get an external mount for a full size shovel.

I was also looking at the maxtrax. They seem like they'd be handy in mud, loose dirt and probably even snow.

jimkellam 05-02-2014 04:36 PM

I wheeled stock for awhile. Did perfectly fine except for one time. Had a height issue. Since then I have had a lift and 35's put on, plus a regear.

HARLEYDAWG01 05-02-2014 04:47 PM

These are very capable machines and will take to some amazing places. Even stock. Half of the fun is learning the limitations of your machine and your driving skills.

Tank555 05-02-2014 05:08 PM

Well, back in 1993, I went on the Rubicon with a Jeep that was close to stock, the only modifications were, I put tube bumpers from and rear, I also put tube side rails on, I installed Rancho shocks, and that was about it. I can't tell you how much fun we had, it was amazing, and it's amazing what a stock Jeep is capable of. Now, I will say, that I am pretty conservative, and I only got stuck once (because I didn't have lockers) but I stayed towards the middle or rear of the pack, and by the time I got to anything difficult, the guides had it pretty wired.

Now, I have a stock 2014 Rubicon, and I plan on running it for a while in it's stock configuration, mainly because I have no money to pour into it, yet. But I am looking forward to making several modifications to it, but I am pretty confident that it will take me anywhere I want to go, and then some.

Blue Baby Sound 05-02-2014 05:15 PM

Here was our 2013 JKU Sport S, totally stock:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps3d0ba329.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps65c01fbd.jpg


http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps4488aaef.jpg


http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps8630dc4b.jpg


http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2d6551d3.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.