Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JK speedo calibration cost? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-speedo-calibration-cost-67996.html)

ESP 11-07-2010 09:32 AM

JK speedo calibration cost?

I bought my 2010 JK with stock 225/75R16 wheels and tires. I upgraded to 255/75R17 and it looks like my speedometer is off by 5-6 mph. I asked the dealer when they switched out to the bigger tires if my computer needed to be set up for the larger size and they said no. Obviously, this is not true and I'm going to be contacting them again this week about calibrating the system but what I want to know is this.

When you get a shop or dealer to install bigger wheels and tires, is the calibration normally included in the install price?

If it needs to be done, then is that something that people usually have to pay for in addition to the install price? How much does this cost?

thanks-

JackdUp 11-07-2010 09:50 AM

From what I been reading, the stealerships have the capability to flash the ecu to correct for oversized tires which will ultimately correct your spedometer. One thing you did not specify is if you have an auto or manual. Also, there are programmers available for purchase that allow you the flexibility to do this yourself, and so much more. However, any time you need to take the ride in for servicing, you may need to flash back to stock programming. I am in the same position, and I think I will coordinate for the dealership to do this so it is under their watch.

JIMBOX 11-07-2010 09:50 AM

:D If the dealer did the swap, they should do the "Flash" FREE !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP123 (Post 863372)
I bought my 2010 JK with stock 225/75R16 wheels and tires. I upgraded to 255/75R17 and it looks like my speedometer is off by 5-6 mph. I asked the dealer when they switched out to the bigger tires if my computer needed to be set up for the larger size and they said no. Obviously, this is not true and I'm going to be contacting them again this week about calibrating the system but what I want to know is this.

When you get a shop or dealer to install bigger wheels and tires, is the calibration normally included in the install price?

If it needs to be done, then is that something that people usually have to pay for in addition to the install price? How much does this cost?

thanks-

If you don't have it done (by them free) you won't be able to check your mileage/trip distance-speed !!

I did mine with the AEV Procal Module, which does a whole bunch of other things too--$139 bucks-

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

ESP 11-07-2010 04:23 PM

It's a manual transmission and the service guy who installed the new tires told me that because it was manual, there was no reason to do it? Does he mean because the manuals can adjust themselves automatically? If so, how long does that take?

JIMBOX 11-07-2010 04:36 PM

:rolleyes: Can't helpya with a manual tranny, but

That sys ain't gonna correct itself, call a diff. dealer. or get an AEV or "Superchip" and fix it yourself-

Your speedo is off close to 10% now and thats a BIG ERROR-this dealer you've dealt with should sell muffler bearings !!

ESP 11-07-2010 04:46 PM

maybe it was just a misunderstanding with the one guy that I talked too. If I call the Monday morning and I get similar answers from others then they should sell mufflers. I'm just worried about getting a ticket because I think I'm going 50 in a 45 but really I doing about 56!

JackdUp 11-07-2010 05:21 PM

Do a search for tire calculator and input stock configuration and then current sizes. The calculator will show you the calculated differences. To be safe, drive within those parameters for now until the speedometer is corrected.

cremaley 11-07-2010 05:45 PM

My Dealer installed my Khumo 33x12.5 tires and re-calibrated my speedodometer free. It was off by 3 miles per hour. Don't let them charge you.

ESP 11-07-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackdUp (Post 863923)
Do a search for tire calculator and input stock configuration and then current sizes. The calculator will show you the calculated differences. To be safe, drive within those parameters for now until the speedometer is corrected.

Yeah already did that, this is why I know its off. Not to mention I'm passing most people doing the "speed limit" when driving. I've also used GPS while driving (not as accurate) but its showing about the same difference.

UnJKlimited 11-07-2010 08:38 PM

Did you get the Transmission Temp recall done yet? I did the same exact tire swap as you and I was off by 6 mph. I had the dealer flash my comp for the tires while it was in for the recall and they charged me $19.00.

ESP 11-08-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnJKlimited (Post 864330)
Did you get the Transmission Temp recall done yet? I did the same exact tire swap as you and I was off by 6 mph. I had the dealer flash my comp for the tires while it was in for the recall and they charged me $19.00.

My JK is a manual so I don't think it was affected by the recent temp recall. I'm going to call them today to find out if they will do it for me. I'll update as soon as I know - thanks for the suggestions.

dtm4228 07-19-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 863397)
:D If the dealer did the swap, they should do the "Flash" FREE !!

If you don't have it done (by them free) you won't be able to check your mileage/trip distance-speed !!

I did mine with the AEV Procal Module, which does a whole bunch of other things too--$139 bucks-

Good luck

I'm in the same boat. went from sport 29in to Rubicon 32s... The dealer wants 113 bucks!!! Will the AEV void anything???

kik 07-19-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtm4228 (Post 3980503)
I'm in the same boat. went from sport 29in to Rubicon 32s... The dealer wants 113 bucks!!! Will the AEV void anything???

Get the AEV Procal and do it yourself. The cost isn't that much more than you would pay the dealer and you'll have it for future use as well. No, the Procal won't void anything.

ESP 07-19-2013 12:47 PM

This is a three year old thread but to answer my own question, it cost about $120 to recalibrate the speedo at the dealership. A pro cal is only $150 and a better use of the money by far.

Welcome kik and dtm. :thumb:

dawhitesJKU 07-19-2013 01:06 PM

lmao...at least he's making use of the search function.

ESP 07-19-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU (Post 3980692)
lmao...at least he's making use of the search function.

;)

Oops...just bumped the thread up.

SuperDave81 07-19-2013 01:17 PM

I love how a stealership feels justified to charge $120 to reflag your ecu for tires when it takes all of about 30 seconds to plug in your new tire size and calibrate your speedo.

ahsumtoy 07-19-2013 06:18 PM

What my dealership said

I think each dealership is different in what they say. Mine told me because of strick federal laws, Jeep couldn't adjust anything past a 285 tire. I don't know if this is the truth or not. I have 33's and my MPH was off by about 5 mph. This was at 65 mph per my GPS, my speedometer showed 60 mph.

Just go out and get a Pro Cal. It will adjust the speedo and a lot more and not void the warranty.

UnJKlimited 07-19-2013 06:29 PM

Definitely depends on the dealer. My dealer did it for free when I went from the mailman tires to 32" mud terrains.

Dozer13JK 07-19-2013 11:15 PM

I had mine recalibrated for $65 because I have 35's. Speedo was easily 10-12 MPH off. Now it's only off by 1-2 MPH. :/ Oh, well. I can live with that.

ohioviper 07-20-2013 01:18 AM

Procal is well worth it and really a must have with an auto transmission.

ROBDOG1 07-27-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 3980634)
This is a three year old thread but to answer my own question, it cost about $120 to recalibrate the speedo at the dealership. A pro cal is only $150 and a better use of the money by far.

Welcome kik and dtm. :thumb:

I went from 255/75R/17 to 305/70R/16 only about an 1 inch taller but almost 2 inches wider will the Procal help with the sluggish at highway speeds? The speedometer is only about 1-2 miles off???
Thanks

tupper 07-27-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 863880)
maybe it was just a misunderstanding with the one guy that I talked too. If I call the Monday morning and I get similar answers from others then they should sell mufflers. I'm just worried about getting a ticket because I think I'm going 50 in a 45 but really I doing about 56!

I had the same problem, bought the aev procal and did it myself.... I drive a 2011 6sp manual.... it didn't adjust itself.... Oddly enough the only way I knew it was off was I had my gps in the jeep because I was headed on a trip.... at first I thought my gps was off.....lol Oh... and it really does depend where you're going.... when they say 45mph they mean 45mph not 46

michiganadam 07-27-2013 06:49 PM

My dealer (tyler in niles mich) said they can only do up to 32 inches and wanted 80 bucks. You can do it better yourself with a flashcal or procal.

Speedos that are 2 off are common from factories....

Big Fran 07-27-2013 07:05 PM

I have an auto and went to a 315x75x16 tire. I got a Procal and that was all I needed. Fixed the speedo and the shift points. The Procal also let me turn on day time running lights. :)

ROBDOG1 07-27-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fran (Post 4010255)
I have an auto and went to a 315x75x16 tire. I got a Procal and that was all I needed. Fixed the speedo and the shift points. The Procal also let me turn on day time running lights. :)

What year is your Jeep? What it simple to adjust?

Big Fran 07-27-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBDOG1 (Post 4010422)
What year is your Jeep? What it simple to adjust?

My Jeep is a 2013 JKU. It was real easy. You just flip some dip switches on the Procal. It comes with a sheet that tells you how to arrange the dip switches for what you want the Procal to do.

ROBDOG1 07-27-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fran (Post 4010448)
My Jeep is a 2013 JKU. It was real easy. You just flip some dip switches on the Procal. It comes with a sheet that tells you how to arrange the dip switches for what you want the Procal to do.

Was your Jeep sluggish after the larger tires? Could you tell a big difference with the Procal?
Thanks

Big Fran 07-27-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBDOG1 (Post 4010640)
Was your Jeep sluggish after the larger tires? Could you tell a big difference with the Procal?
Thanks

It does not feel sluggish to me. It feels a little less peppy from a standing start then it did with the 33" tires but not by much. I used the Procal before I moved the Jeep after putting on the tires so I never felt any big difference. To me the Jeep drives just about the same as it did before I put the bigger tires on it. The BFG KM2's feel a little rougher when slowly rolling up to a light then the Duratrac's did. I had it up to 70 mph and it drives smooth as stock.

michiganadam 07-27-2013 09:41 PM

superchips flashcal is cheaper on quadratec at the moment and has an lcd screen.

why would anyone like daytime running lights anyhow?