Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   boycott amazon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/boycott-amazon-68448.html)

tntviper1 11-10-2010 07:31 PM

boycott amazon

FoxNews.com - Consumers Call for Boycott of Amazon Over 'Pedophile's Guide'

and yes i verified it

jgano23 11-10-2010 07:38 PM

Linky no worky

adkjoe 11-10-2010 07:38 PM

page not found...I'm all for a boycott for a good reason I just need to see it. I boycott mobile gas stations and have for years

jgano23 11-10-2010 07:42 PM

I boycott amazon because they SUCK. If I find something on there that I want, I look to see who it is sell it and go directly to them and cut out amazon as the middle man.

Coyote_94YJ 11-10-2010 07:49 PM

FoxNews.com - Consumers Call for Boycott of Amazon Over 'Pedophile's Guide'

I fixed the OP's link as well.

Mr. Sinister 11-10-2010 08:27 PM

boycott corporate news.

sonofabeach 11-10-2010 09:23 PM

Maybe it was part of a sting?

About all I do is download music from them.

burton160w 11-10-2010 10:43 PM

I'm already boycotting gas stations with different cash/credit prices, people who litter, and Dennys. I can't avoid Amazon for selling a book.

tntviper1 11-11-2010 07:34 AM

update the book was pulled and here is one of my other boards post on this and reply to someone who agrees with it.

Originally Posted by Schu
Freedom of speech. They sell the Anarchist's Cookbook too. Should that be banned? What books do you deem to be appropriate for sale to the public?

Schu, i agree about freedom of speech but you need to draw the line somewhere and this book is something i cant agree with,

i also think the publisher should be held liable too.

upon further research the author and publisher is Phillip R Greaves, he wrote the Ebook.

jeffk42 11-11-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgano23 (Post 869663)
I boycott amazon because they SUCK. If I find something on there that I want, I look to see who it is sell it and go directly to them and cut out amazon as the middle man.

The other day I bought the Rugged Ridge RRC Side Armor by getting the part number from Quadratec (charging $335 + $45 shipping) and pasted it into Amazon, bought for $320 shipped. Received it in 4 days, which included a weekend.

I've had pretty good luck with them, personally.

john's ct jeep 11-11-2010 07:57 AM

i watched the morning news and amazon pulled the book off the site this morning after public pressure.

they 1st stated that it would be censership to pull it off the site

by the way when the book went of the market only sold one copy. since all the hipe then the count went to 3000.

personally that one book that should be in the trash.

jgano23 11-11-2010 07:59 AM

an amazon spokes person is quoted as saying:
Quote:

Amazon believes it is censorship not to sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable," the company said in a written statement. "Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions.
which is a gigantic crock of (you know what). they don't care about freedom of speech, they care about making the almighty dollar. it is there freedom as a business to NOT carry this book. i don't think i violates freedom of speech for them not to carry it, it is their choice. there are plenty of tools or brands of equipment that i choose not to carry in my store, am i violating those brands freedom of speech? amazon is not protesting the book or saying that it should have never been written. if amazon would have quietly said "no thank you" to the ebook, we would have heard nothing of this. they chose to offer it, knowing full well that the media would be all over them giving them free advertising. plus they know that they will sell copies to those that just want to see what all of the hype is about.

all i can say is: just another reason why i hate amazon.

jeffk42 11-11-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgano23 (Post 870339)
they don't care about freedom of speech, they care about making the almighty dollar. it is there freedom as a business to NOT carry this book.

there are plenty of tools or brands of equipment that i choose not to carry in my store, am i violating those brands freedom of speech?

No, but it would be violating your freedom if people tried to dictate to you what you can sell in your store.

I'm not taking a position on this, haven't read the article so I don't know what it's about. I'm just playing devil's advocate. :)

Geoff@Bestop 11-11-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 870362)
No, but it would be violating your freedom if people tried to dictate to you what you can sell in your store.

I'm not taking a position on this, haven't read the article so I don't know what it's about. I'm just playing devil's advocate. :)

It's not censorship or a 1st amendment issue unless the government gets involved.

It's perfectly acceptable for the owner of a store to say "I am not going to sell this particular product." Store owners do so all the time. So Amazon's claims of censorship are a bit silly. We do not have an expectation that they will sell every single book ever published, regardless of its merits - we EXPECT them to be choosy and do some self-censoring.

It is also NOT violating their freedom when their customers make demands or dictate what they sell. As consumers we do this all the time. If the corner store started selling sex toys, you would be perfectly within your rights to say "my family won't shop here anymore."

(personal opinions not related to my work, please remember I post here a lot and enjoy talking with you all on a personal level).

jeffk42 11-11-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 870437)
It's not censorship or a 1st amendment issue unless the government gets involved.

It's perfectly acceptable for the owner of a store to say "I am not going to sell this particular product." Store owners do so all the time. So Amazon's claims of censorship are a bit silly. We do not have an expectation that they will sell every single book ever published, regardless of its merits - we EXPECT them to be choosy and do some self-censoring.

It is also NOT violating their freedom when their customers make demands or dictate what they sell. As consumers we do this all the time. If the corner store started selling sex toys, you would be perfectly within your rights to say "my family won't shop here anymore."

(personal opinions not related to my work, please remember I post here a lot and enjoy talking with you all on a personal level).

Believe me, I agree with you on both points. But regardless of whether or not you decide to shop there, boycott the place, etc etc... the shop owner should still have the freedom to sell it, if that's what they want to do.

arrowhead 11-11-2010 09:17 AM

I believe a business has the the right to sell whatever they want as long at is legal to do so. You and I have the right to buy whatever we wish as long as it legal to buy what we want. It's kind of like watching TV. The station or network has the right to broadcast what they wish and I have the right to watch it or not.

The business owner will get the idea if they lose enough customers as will the TV broadcaster if their shows aren't watched.

I'll admit all the negative feedback Amazon was getting about the book probably made their decision to stop selling it come much faster than poor sales would have.

jgano23 11-11-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk42 (Post 870447)
Believe me, I agree with you on both points. But regardless of whether or not you decide to shop there, boycott the place, etc etc... the shop owner should still have the freedom to sell it, if that's what they want to do.

exactly, but if you decide to sell a product like this, you should be prepared to deal with public backlash. i choose not to sell products like this, because i am morally against it, and i also don't want to lose business because of it.

Coyote_94YJ 11-11-2010 10:37 AM

If someone wrote a book entitled "10 Reasons to NOT Shop at Amazon.com" or "Why Amazon.com SUCKS!!!", do you think they would sell it? Probably not which would throw their supposed reasoning right out the window.

Amazon is :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame:

those are picketers ↑

adkjoe 11-11-2010 10:57 AM

I don't care for amazon but I don't care what they sell either. Shame on the writer and publisher. who cares what amazon sells if you don't want to read it don't buy it.

Ray - San Jose 11-11-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 870629)
I don't care for amazon but I don't care what they sell either. Shame on the writer and publisher. who cares what amazon sells if you don't want to read it don't buy it.

+1

Yep. To many people telling us what we can see, what we can read, what we can do, what we can say. That equates to me getting banned from the board if I go much farther with this rant...

garyg 11-11-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote_94yj (Post 870592)
If someone wrote a book entitled "10 Reasons to NOT Shop at Amazon.com" or "Why Amazon.com SUCKS!!!", do you think they would sell it? Probably not which would throw their supposed reasoning right out the window.

Amazon is :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame: :9lame:

those are picketers ↑

^ creative haha i like it.

tntviper1 11-11-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray - San Jose (Post 870667)
+1

Yep. To many people telling us what we can see, what we can read, what we can do, what we can say. That equates to me getting banned from the board if I go much farther with this rant...

perfect reply, i guess i was really pissed but if i dont want to buy it i have that right

RatherBNarizona 11-11-2010 11:38 AM

Amazon is a retailer... they sell thoundsands of books. I love Amazon, and they have "Student Prime". It is free for college students and gives free 2 day shipping on most goodies. Lookin' out for the college students :)

Mr. Sinister 11-11-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntviper1 (Post 870317)
Schu, i agree about freedom of speech but you need to draw the line somewhere and this book is something i cant agree with

with all due respect for the civility of this conversation, because you don't agree is not the reason to pull it. it doesn't matter what you like, you can't force your ethics or tastes on others.

adkjoe 11-11-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntviper1 (Post 870317)
Schu, i agree about freedom of speech but you need to draw the line somewhere and this book is something i cant agree with,

It wouldn't be free speech if there was a line it would be limited speech. And who's the guy or gal who decides where the line is drawn? Again who cares what the book is about, if you don't like it don't buy it. They sell bibles and religious books to, bet they have created much more war and harm than a book about pedophiles ever could.

pokey 11-11-2010 12:11 PM

Amazon's statement "Amazon does not promote or support criminal acts" completely contradicts them selling a book titled "Pedophiles Guide". Pedophiles go to prison, and for good reason.

cpainter56 11-11-2010 12:16 PM

This is stupid, telling them not to sell a book is censorship, if someone is in the market to buy, they ought to be able to sell it without all you crybabies getting your panties in a wad. If you wanna boycott something, make it the retarded news station that this crap originated with, Fox is for suckers.

cpainter56 11-11-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe

It wouldn't be free speech if there was a line it would be limited speech. And who's the guy or gal who decides where the line is drawn? Again who cares what the book is about, if you don't like it don't buy it. They sell bibles and religious books to, bet they have created much more war and harm than a book about pedophiles ever could.

Very true, limited speech is not free speech. If you don't want the book, don't buy it, if you want to point something like this out and make a stink about it, go work for Rupert Murdoch, he'll put any moron on camera...

PecosRiver 11-11-2010 12:34 PM

• Amazon should be able to sell the book.
  • Prohibiting the sales of that book is censorship.
  • I have the right to not buy the book, which I won't.
  • I have the right to boycott Amazon.
  • I have the right to tell them that I'm boycotting them and why.
  • I think the author should be targeted more than Amazon.
  • I would be in prison right now if I lived next door to the author. (Arson is illegal, right?)
  • Look at all the free advertising that Amazon is getting! FREE!
  • Amazon should use better judgement in these types of issues, but I'm betting one of their lawyers said they had to sell the book.

Ray - San Jose 11-11-2010 02:11 PM

I went to war to protect my freedoms, and the freedoms of my fellow countrymen. The same freedoms I see getting s**t on and squashed every day. Let Amazon sell whatever they please, if you don't like it, then don't buy it. I don't agree with a pedophile book, so I just won't buy it.