Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Nys inspection (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/nys-inspection-68617.html)

Littleyellow 11-11-2010 11:22 PM

Nys inspection

Im18 and i got my first car last november and i got a jeep not a car of course. I havent needed to get an inspection before.. On top of breaking my inspection cherry ny jeep is very moddified lol. I know that shouldnt be an issue but my real concern is about the two evap codes i have. A leak and a pinched hose. Question is, if i clear the codes before i go so the light goes off will i be fine? Or will i fail even if codes arent popping up.

yjkid95 11-11-2010 11:26 PM

The check engine light needs to be off for atleast a hundred miles before you can past inspection. Is it a vapor leak? Those are typically a bad gas cap. Get a new gas cap and most of the time it solves the problem. Good luck to you.

Littleyellow 11-11-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjkid95
The check engine light needs to be off for atleast a hundred miles before you can past inspection. Is it a vapor leak? Those are typically a bad gas cap. Get a new gas cap and most of the time it solves the problem. Good luck to you.

What do you mean for a 100 miles. How would they know if i cleared the code took it to a shop and then they inspected it?

Littleyellow 11-11-2010 11:36 PM

I have a p0455 and p1486 coming up. If i fill up the tank and clear the codes they come on at about half tank

yjkid95 11-12-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littleyellow (Post 871882)
What do you mean for a 100 miles. How would they know if i cleared the code took it to a shop and then they inspected it?

You have OBD2 in your jeep which means mostly everything is controlled by the computer. Im sure a member will correct me if im wrong but your computer will log in when your codes were clear. Albany will tell.

yjkid95 11-12-2010 12:04 AM

I think the p0455 is the code for a vapor leak I'd try the gas cap if I were you.

Littleyellow 11-12-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjkid95
I think the p0455 is the code for a vapor leak I'd try the gas cap if I were you.

So your saying the vomputer stores what codes are cleared?.. How would someone know if it was clearef or went away.. And yes gas cap is my nexttry

yjkid95 11-12-2010 12:19 AM

Well codes wont just go away. You have to get them cleared atleast to my knowledge. My buddy who works at Wallkill Auto gave me the scoop on all this inspection stuff before i bought my jeep. OBD2 is a pain in the butt sometimes thats why I got a 95 last year of OBD1 so I can get away with murder.

Neil F. 11-12-2010 05:49 AM

Upon reset, the computer has a set number of cycles it has to go through before it indicates that all sensors are checked. The cycles can vary with the number of starts, driving conditions and mils but it can be between 60-100. If pluged into before the computer has verified all the sensors, it comes back "NOT READY FOR TEST" and the emissions station will tell you to come back. Unless you have fioxed the problem, the Check Engine light eill like have come back.

Littleyellow 11-12-2010 08:16 AM

Damn thois is not good then... Whats the best way to find the problem i know to trace over all the times but what if there is a hole i cant see?

Littleyellow 11-12-2010 09:17 AM

Found a rusted hard line in the back near the spring where it connects to the rubber one that goes to thr tank. Could tht be the problem. How would i replace that and get a new hard line

jeepjeep7 11-12-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littleyellow
Found a rusted hard line in the back near the spring where it connects to the rubber one that goes to thr tank. Could tht be the problem. How would i replace that and get a new hard line

For now if it has a hole and is running gas I would cut the section 2 hose clamps and rubber tubing did it on my camaro damn thing broke when I changed the fuel pump that'll keep your pressure for the sytem and shouldn't throw the evaporate off I'm correct maybe someone would corrrect me lol they arnt gonna go under your jeep I'll come over later if you want I got tubing and clamps

Littleyellow 11-12-2010 10:12 AM

The whole time i was reading that i was like come over what? Lol yeah im around just text me if your free.