Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Truck + Free AK-47 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/truck-free-ak-47-a-68658.html)

FlyinJeeps 11-12-2010 12:21 PM

Truck + Free AK-47

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - The headline really isn't a joke. A Sanford truck dealership is offering a free AK-47 with the purchase of a truck.

General Sales Manager Nick Ginetta tells FOX 35, the weapon won't be sitting in the passenger seat or a gun rack when you sign the paperwork and get the keys, instead you get a voucher. "Now you take that voucher, you go down to Shoot Straight. You present the voucher. They will fill out all federal and state forms, and a background check. If you are eligible for that weapon, you'll be entitled to it."
Ginetta says if guns aren't your thing, you can have 400 bucks off the truck or vouchers for other stores. Will it work? "People are calling us, don't believe it. They want to come in and see it. We have some people that don't believe it. In fact, as I told them, listen; you can do this on your own. You don't need us."
Already there's been a bite. Craig from Longwood heard about the deal and came on down. "I'm getting ready to buy a truck because I need it for pulling my race cars. I figured this is a beautiful selection. I come here and I'm getting a free gun!"
Ginetta told me they're doing this as a salute to veterans, but maybe they should have asked a guy next door at the VFW hall. "Them guys next door that are giving away AK-47. I was shot 14 times by that rifle. It's a hell of a rifle. Kills a lot of people. They've got no business giving those rifles away."
A little research shows truck owners just happen to like the 2nd Amendment. The deal runs through the end of the month.
FOX 35 talked to the Sanford Police Chief about it and he says as long as the rules of gun ownership are followed, they're not concerned about because legal gun owners rarely give them trouble. The only worry they had was that a crook might steal an AK 47 and use it in a crime.

Seems crazy to me, but I'm Canadian, so, meh..

RatherBNarizona 11-12-2010 12:26 PM

actually happens quite frequently...
I've seen everything from AR-15's to Remingtons

Guns are a lifestyle. Guns are not a big deal where I am, they are different for each place. It's another gun topic... some people love them and embrace them, some people have never touched one and are horrified by them.

derfC 11-12-2010 12:27 PM

It's not crazy, it's good business...

You just can't beat all of the free publicity (via national news agencies picking up the story) this dealership is getting over their little 'special' (which really only boils down to a $400 gift card at a local sporting goods shop).

I'll bet they sell a bunch of trucks over the next few weeks.

Good for them, I say!

nick50471 11-12-2010 12:28 PM

Cool.

adkjoe 11-12-2010 12:36 PM

that's a sweet promotion, guns aren't a big deal where I'm from either. I can walk into the powder horn right now pick up an AK-47 and drive away with it in less than 20 min, good business I bet it will help sell trucks.

jgano23 11-12-2010 12:36 PM

i had never heard of any place doing this until recently. a car dealership (in texas i think) did this a few months back and got quite a bit of media coverage. it boils down to free, and even national, advertising. if a dealership coaxes people in with things like a free laptop or set of tires, it doesn't get nearly the coverage that offering something like an AK-47 does.

cavediverjc 11-12-2010 12:43 PM

Too bad I don't need another truck or another AK.........sounds like good business to me.. :D

4Jeepn 11-12-2010 12:43 PM

Should have gone with an AR-15.. U.S made rifle and all. But twice the cost..

nick50471 11-12-2010 12:44 PM

I am not sure but I think a lot of these may have gotten the idea from the Michael Moore movie "Bowling for Columbine". A bank in Michigan was giving away rifles when you opened an account of some type with them. In the movie Butthead made it look like the bank gave him the rifle when actually he had to go to a gunshop to get it.

I like the idea. It will really help out the gunshop. Thats the coolest part. Buy lots of guns from your local, awesome, super smart, good looking gun dealer.:D

nick50471 11-12-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 872508)

I agree they could have went with an Olympic or Stag AR-15 only $600.

cavediverjc 11-12-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 872508)

I'd rather have another AK than another AR-15 any day.

KeeblerKO 11-12-2010 12:49 PM

There's a dealership in Mt. Vernon IN that will include a shot gun with new vehicle purchases. Or they used to every now and then; I haven't been back in IN long enough to see any of those ads.

A hunting shot gun doesn't get me too excited (gots me a Saiga 12). Now an AK, sure! AR-15? Nope, the Army learned me to hate that weapon. Then again, they're worn out crappy M-4s...

Mr. Sinister 11-12-2010 12:51 PM

"FOX 35 talked to the Sanford Police Chief about it and he says as long as the rules of gun ownership are followed, they're not concerned about because legal gun owners rarely give them trouble."

Very well said by the Police Chief there.

nick50471 11-12-2010 12:51 PM

X2

N39-W120 11-12-2010 12:55 PM

Sounds good to me, but I do have a problem... I have 4 guns and only 2 hands

Gate53 11-12-2010 01:13 PM

Been shot by one of those myself and I'm here to tell you that is one sweet weapon. It's perfect for a Jeep you can cover it in mud and still grab it and down Bambi.

UnlimitedLJ04 11-12-2010 01:17 PM

wow, i kinda want to buy a truck now :)

Mr. Sinister 11-12-2010 01:21 PM

Are the newer AK models select fire at all? I recently sold my modified SKS. I'm a firm believer in one shot, one kill. I can see the dumb thrills of a full auto, but ammo is expensive and reloading is getting there as well.

cavediverjc 11-12-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister (Post 872562)
Are the newer AK models select fire at all? I recently sold my modified SKS. I'm a firm believer in one shot, one kill. I can see the dumb thrills of a full auto, but ammo is expensive and reloading is getting there as well.

Semi-auto only. Unless you have a class III permit, then you can legally purchase/own a full-auto. (But not anywhere near $400!!)

However, the average AK is about as simple to convert to full auto as you can get. But don't get caught with a modified-to-auto AK or you'll be spending time at the gray-bar motel.

AKs are simple weapons that almost never malfunction, even with crappy ammo. Ammo is cheap and readily available ANYWHERE. AKs actually have knock-down power, unlike an AR. Out of the box, they probably aren't as accurate as an AR, but at less than a couple hundred meters, they'll shoot acceptable groups, even with bulk ammo. They have much more retained energy at impact than an AR round. I have both an AR (DPMS) and a couple of AKs and my AKs are so much more fun to shoot. I like my AR, but its uses are limited. My M-4 in the Army was my back-up weapon, thank God. (Primary weapons were my M-24 or the M-107/M-82A1) The M-4 was good for CQB only because it's short. An underfolder AK is a much better CQB weapon. :D

David Lucas 11-12-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedlj04 (Post 872551)
wow, i kinda want to buy a truck now :)

x2

ISUSteve 11-12-2010 09:51 PM

Probably a WASR. Bottom of the barrel AK, but i do love mine.

wolfen 11-13-2010 06:50 AM

And for all the Fox News haters that read this I just saw it on Ch 10 here locally

FlyinJeeps 11-13-2010 08:11 AM

you know, you guys are right, it is really smart marketing. Afterall, this ad made me switch my plans from KC day's to Lightforce, for aux lighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrRv-WcFeNA

G-Force 11-13-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 872689)
Semi-auto only. Unless you have a class III permit, then you can legally purchase/own a full-auto. (But not anywhere near $400!!)

However, the average AK is about as simple to convert to full auto as you can get. But don't get caught with a modified-to-auto AK or you'll be spending time at the gray-bar motel.
:D

If you are not law enforcement you cannot own any full auto weapon newer than a 1986 build. Only automatics built pre-1986 can be owned under a class III license.

Conversion to full automatic of any weapon is immediately punishable by ten years in the "gray-bar motel" possibly more.

I own a lot of guns and salute the truck store for their support of the second ammendment.

cavediverjc 11-13-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Force (Post 873872)
If you are not law enforcement you cannot own any full auto weapon newer than a 1986 build. Only automatics built pre-1986 can be owned under a class III license.

Conversion to full automatic of any weapon is immediately punishable by ten years in the "gray-bar motel" possibly more.

I own a lot of guns and salute the truck store for their support of the second ammendment.

You're quoting me. Are you telling ME this, or are you just expanding on what I'd written? I'm fully aware of the law, just didn't figure it was pertinent to the gentleman's question. I have a class III permit and I'm fully aware of the laws governing it.

MBLG 11-13-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinjeeps
seems crazy to me, but i'm canadian

x2

Mr. Sinister 11-19-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 872689)

AKs are simple weapons that almost never malfunction, even with crappy ammo. Ammo is cheap and readily available ANYWHERE. AKs actually have knock-down power, unlike an AR. Out of the box, they probably aren't as accurate as an AR, but at less than a couple hundred meters, they'll shoot acceptable groups, even with bulk ammo. They have much more retained energy at impact than an AR round. I have both an AR (DPMS) and a couple of AKs and my AKs are so much more fun to shoot. I like my AR, but its uses are limited. My M-4 in the Army was my back-up weapon, thank God. (Primary weapons were my M-24 or the M-107/M-82A1) The M-4 was good for CQB only because it's short. An underfolder AK is a much better CQB weapon. :D

i fired nothing but wolf ammo through my sks and never had any trouble with it. :)

wolfen 11-19-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Force (Post 873872)

I got a class III, and trust me they don't like you having just any automatic. I can own an AK47, but they frown on my HK91

coolbreeze 11-19-2010 07:10 PM

I wouldn't own a knockoff AK commie POS. Something Made in The USA would be much more appropriate.

cavediverjc 11-19-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbreeze (Post 884979)
I wouldn't own a knockoff AK commie POS. Something Made in The USA would be much more appropriate.

So don't. Part of being an American is that we can make our own choices.