Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Hard shifting transmission (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/hard-shifting-transmission-68802.html)

JBIELAR 11-13-2010 04:49 PM

Hard shifting transmission

Gradually noticed that getting into 1st was becoming difficult with the motor running only. Wasn’t grinding just felt like 1st was locked out. I could get it in by playing with it. Continued to drive for about a month (I know, shouldn’t have). Replaced clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearings. Changed tranny and xfer case oil and found about a soda cap full of shavings on the tranny magnet. The clutch engages about ½ to ¾ of the throw of the pedal now so I don’t think I have a clutch problem any longer???? TJ shifted better but was still difficult so I replaced the slave and master cylinders and bled the system 2 separate times. The clutch still engages but I am now having difficulty getting into 1st and 2nd. There is about 50k miles on this Tranny wondering how long the AX15 lasts and if anyone knows what I could try, short of a rebuild.

jasonwrangler 11-13-2010 05:46 PM

my 2.5 TJ does something similar when the transmission heats up after 5-10 min of idling. basically when I stop in neutral, then I want to get in 1st gear or any gear with a syncro right after I push in the clutch, it wont go in cuz the blocker ring is blocking, but if I keep pressing the clutch a big longer about 2-3 seconds wait till the transmission slows down, I can get in gear no problem. as long as I'm moving, I can shift no problem. changed transmission fluid and didnt help, clutch feels good.

CLIMEIT 10-18-2012 10:37 AM

Same here!!!! Anyone figured this out yet???

brownl11 10-18-2012 10:57 AM

I have the same issue with my 2001 4.0L, any ideas on what causes this?

King_Aragon 10-18-2012 10:58 AM

Been happening here as well! Definitely subscribed!

Dextreme 10-18-2012 11:19 AM

All I know is that when I bought my TJ (w/AX5) it was sometimes hard to get into gear and and had a 2nd gear downshift grind. I replaced the fluid with Redline MT90 and fixed its issues...now it shifts like butter.

NikeSwimming 10-18-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme
All I know is that when I bought my TJ (w/AX5) it was sometimes hard to get into gear and and had a 2nd gear downshift grind. I replaced the fluid with Redline MT90 and fixed its issues...now it shifts like butter.

You replaced the transmission fluid with redline MT90? Sorry Im new to this

SPEC-01 10-18-2012 03:07 PM

Did you just drain and refill the trans or did you flush it? I ask because you may benefit from a good flush of the trans and then refilling with MT90 or similar fluid.

cmoney21 10-18-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 2902821)

OK. So I now this might sound weird :doh: but how do you even check the oil on a 99 TJ. I am also having problems shifting and I know that the fluid has not been changed/flushed in a long while. I just bought it in Feb or march of this year. Please advise. Thank you.

BD Bass 01-19-2013 11:16 AM

Yep . same issue in my 97 TJ . Last time I had the fluid changed . I put 50/50 TAG & 20 wt synth seemed to last till this winter . @7 degrees . then started shifting hard again . guess I'll need to switch to redline . spendie stuff

Shark_13 01-19-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmoney21 (Post 2903488)

OK. So I now this might sound weird :doh: but how do you even check the oil on a 99 TJ. I am also having problems shifting and I know that the fluid has not been changed/flushed in a long while. I just bought it in Feb or march of this year. Please advise. Thank you.

Standard Trans does not have dipstick like auto. You can remove fill plug and stock finger in there, should be level to the fill hole. If it hasn't been done in a while, just get the supplies to do it. Not hard at all, just be sure to remove fill plug first before drain plug!

cmoney21 02-24-2013 09:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 214157