Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Ah! Speedometer not working!? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ah-speedometer-not-working-68841.html)

jkaufman_95 11-13-2010 10:53 PM

Ah! Speedometer not working!?

okay, so my TJ has been sitting idle for a few days as i have been working and not driving but today when i went to move it the speedometer is not working at all, any suggestions? is there a fuse? all other gauges seem to be operating correctly

Chavser16 11-13-2010 11:02 PM

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Not sure exactly how it's done, but my mechanic buddy fixed it in less than five minutes. I know it's not much help, but just thought I'd let you know it really isn't much to worry about. :)

jkaufman_95 11-13-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chavser16 (Post 875041)
Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Not sure exactly how it's done, but my mechanic buddy fixed it in less than five minutes. I know it's not much help, but just thought I'd let you know it really isn't much to worry about. :)

well that does make me feel a little better lol

distortedtj 11-13-2010 11:10 PM

Have you checked the connector at the speedo gear?

jkaufman_95 11-13-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 875053)
Have you checked the connector at the speedo gear?

How do i do that?

distortedtj 11-13-2010 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:confused:...Make sure it is connected.

Your speedo gear is located in the output shaft of the transfer case.

Here....

Compton 11-14-2010 01:00 AM

I had the same problem with mine. I could push in on the speedo and it would come to life every now and then but eventually it would start to do it again. What I did to fix the problem it remove the speedometer and look at the back of it. mine had 2 connections with several pins in it. I took a pair of needle nosed pliers and slightly bent them like you would a wall plug that has become loose. Be careful not to bend them out too much or it will be difficult to get them to plug in when you reinstall the speedometer. There are rows of pins that for an easy way to show you not quite as dramatic as this will look similar to this - ll ll ll ll - I made them look like this but not so bent - \ / \ / \ / \ / - If the connector is the problem you can fix it like that. Hope it helps you.

jkaufman_95 11-14-2010 01:03 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, its 1 am here so im not gonna try it tonight but i will post an update tomorrow

distortedtj 11-14-2010 01:06 AM

It could be several things. I'd start with the speedo connector first then look at the back of the cluster gauge and make sure the harness there is seated correctly.

jkaufman_95 11-14-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 875182)
It could be several things. I'd start with the speedo connector first then look at the back of the cluster gauge and make sure the harness there is seated correctly.

got it fixed! just the wires thanks everyone!